McCain Takes South Carolina Primary

jillian

Princess
Apr 4, 2006
The Other Side of Paradise
Huckabee is conceding to McCain right now. Only about 3 percentage points separated him and McCain.

South Carolina's picked the Repub nominee every year since 1980. Wonder if their record will stay intact this time around.

Huckabee is conceding to McCain right now. Only about 3 percentage points separated him and McCain.

South Carolina's picked the Repub nominee every year since 1980. Wonder if their record will stay intact this time around.
I think probably the answer is yes. But 29 January in Florida is a huge test. And may set the stage for the winner on 5 February when NY, CA, IL, and TX choose. If Giuliani wins Florida, then 5 Feb may not decide the race and the Republicans could be on the way to slecting their nominee at a brokered convention. Had McCain lost in SC, a state with a high percentage of military voters, then his campaign might have floundered. Florida will be a difficult test for him. We must watch this state closely. With Ohio, it will be the most important red-blue contest in November.

I think probably the answer is yes. But 29 January in Florida is a huge test. And may set the stage for the winner on 5 February when NY, CA, IL, and TX choose. If Giuliani wins Florida, then 5 Feb may not decide the race and the Republicans could be on the way to slecting their nominee at a brokered convention. Had McCain lost in SC, a state with a high percentage of military voters, then his campaign might have floundered. Florida will be a difficult test for him. We must watch this state closely. With Ohio, it will be the most important red-blue contest in November.

Isn't it something like 70 years since a candidate was chosen at the convention? I agree with your analysis. Thing is, the whole Giuliani "wait til Florida" thing just seems so strange to me. Reminds me of all the commentators saying how 2000 was "all going to come down to Palm Beach County".

Giuliani took a huge gamble in leaving everything til this point. I actually think the Repubs have a better shot with McCain than they ever would with Rudy, who carries so much baggage.

Isn't it something like 70 years since a candidate was chosen at the convention? I agree with your analysis. Thing is, the whole Giuliani "wait til Florida" thing just seems so strange to me. Reminds me of all the commentators saying how 2000 was "all going to come down to Palm Beach County".

Giuliani took a huge gamble in leaving everything til this point. I actually think the Repubs have a better shot with McCain than they ever would with Rudy, who carries so much baggage.
You are right about Rudy. It is not his public service that is an issue, or his ability as an executive. It is the wreckage of his family life that makes one wonder. Yes, McCain will be harder for the Dems to beat. But can a candidate who leaves many Republicans uninspired bring enough people to the polls? Many Republicans find McCain's immigration stand baffling to say the least. Has he morphed that position, will anyone believe him? The Dems have the edge. Can they keep it until November?

You are right about Rudy. It is not his public service that is an issue, or his ability as an executive. It is the wreckage of his family life that makes one wonder. Yes, McCain will be harder for the Dems to beat. But can a candidate who leaves many Republicans uninspired bring enough people to the polls? Many Republicans find McCain's immigration stand baffling to say the least. Has he morphed that position, will anyone believe him? The Dems have the edge. Can they keep it until November?

McCain might not bring as many Republicans to the polls but Hillary certainly will.

McCain might not bring as many Republicans to the polls but Hillary certainly will.
That might be correct. But she does enjoy the support of many women. Regardless, your suggestion is among the reasons that I think Edwards would be the Dems' strongest November candidate. But he's not going to win the nomination. If experience is a deciding factor, then either Obama or Edwards would be in trouble against McCain. But if experience is not a deciding factor, I think the Dems can probably beat McCain.

Mitt Romney 22,649 51% 17
Ron Paul 6,087 14% 4
John McCain 5,651 13% 4

Mike Huckabee 3,616 8% 2
Fred Thompson 3,521 8% 2
Rudy Giuliani 1,910 4% 1
Duncan Hunter 890 2% 1

Ron Paul Can Beat Hillary Clinton
Only Ron Paul can beat Hillary, so says Gambling911.com Special Contributor, Jennifer Reynolds. Hillary Clinton remains the even favorite to become the next US President.

"All the Republicans I have spoken to would vote for Hillary Clinton if they were not happy with their own party nomination," Tyrone Black of Gambling911.com stated. Black is an active member of the Republican party in his home state of New York.

And just as Republicans would be willing to vote for Hillary, so too would Democrats be willing to vote for Ron Paul.

This became a hot button issue here at Gambling911.com following Reynolds piece regarding new voting rules particularly with the controversy surrounding New Hampshire.

http://www.gambling911.com/Ron-Paul-Hillary-Clinton-091007.html

its possible. but this election year makes me think that it wont.

And look at the results. Last time McCain had 40%. He barely squeeked by in South Carolina this time.

McCain is not getting the support from the typical conservative republican base, so he's toast in the general if you ask me.

If it was McCain/Obama, Obama is the next president.

Independents are not going to carry you into the Oval office.

I don't even know WHAT the republican base is anymore. The Christians are fighting over Romney and Huckabee, and the fiscal conservatives have their friggin heads up their asses apparently, and can't even manage to realize who a REAL fiscal conservative is...or maybe they just don't care anymore...who knows.

Fred and Paul are the only real fiscal conservatives in this race. So apparently, religion and war are the 2 main issues this year.

I'm not religious...Someone who's a Christian church-goer clue me in please...Are they preaching an unusually extraordinary amount of "Jesus is coming soon" in sermons these days?

McCain is not getting the support from the typical conservative republican base, so he's toast in the general if you ask me.

If it was McCain/Obama, Obama is the next president.

Independents are not going to carry you into the Oval office.

I don't even know WHAT the republican base is anymore. The Christians are fighting over Romney and Huckabee, and the fiscal conservatives have their friggin heads up their asses apparently, and can't even manage to realize who a REAL fiscal conservative is...or maybe they just don't care anymore...who knows.

Fred and Paul are the only real fiscal conservatives in this race. So apparently, religion and war are the 2 main issues this year.

I'm not religious...Someone who's a Christian church-goer clue me in please...Are they preaching an unusually extraordinary amount of "Jesus is coming soon" in sermons these days?

Romney isn't running on religion. I wish people would stop pretending as though he is.

I don't even know WHAT the republican base is anymore.

The conservative crack-up is very real, and much written about. I would say the GOP base is still working whites with families, tending toward Christian. But as that demographic shrinks, Democrats' power increases.

The interesting thing is that there's also a liberal crack-up, which we can see in the Hillary/Obama split (women vs. blacks, moderates vs. liberals, etc.).

I suppose a political science professor would tell us that in the general, all the teams will re-form. Cons will choke it down and vote for a McCain, as less-bad than Hillary. Libs will choke it down and vote for Hillary, etc. Who knows. In a perverse way I'm happy to watch both major parties starting to lose their centrifigal force.

Romney isn't running on religion. I wish people would stop pretending as though he is.

He doesn't have to be running on religion, to be getting a portion of the religious voting base.

You know who the only one out of the candidates who DEFENDED him on the "being a mormon" and being criticised for it-thing was? Ron Paul.

There's enough Mormons in this country to carry his voting base. He doesn't need to RUN on mormonism to get that. Nevada was case in point.

He doesn't have to be running on religion, to be getting a portion of the religious voting base.

You know who the only one out of the candidates who DEFENDED him on the "being a mormon" and being criticised for it-thing was? Ron Paul.

There's enough Mormons in this country to carry his voting base. He doesn't need to RUN on mormonism to get that. Nevada was case in point.

I think you are dreaming if you think Nevada was won because of the Mormon vote. More than 3/4ths of the electorate was non-mormon. that means at most 25% mormon. He still overwhelmingly won the non-mormon vote.

He isnt running on religion. And he is still the only candidate in the race who hasnt been beaten by Ron Paul.

Forum List

Back