McCain, Racism and the Supreme Court

midcan5

liberal / progressive
Jun 4, 2007
America
Worse Than Dred Scott? By Robert Fantina

"John McCain, the elderly senator from Arizona who also happens to be the GOP presidential candidate, weighed in on the recent Supreme Court decision that granted prisoners incarcerated in one of the most notorious prisons on the planet, Guantanamo, the right to seek redress in civilian courts. Said Mr. McCain: the decision is “one of the worst decisions in the history of this country.”

Mr. McCain is apparently either relying on the notion that U.S. voters know little about the history of the Supreme Court, or he is simply stating his clear beliefs. If one looks back to 1857 and a certain Supreme Court decision from ‘the history of this country,’ one learns that the court decreed “that all blacks -- slaves as well as free -- were not and could never become citizens of the United States.” Additionally, the court also nullified the 1820 Missouri Compromise, declaring it unconstitutional, thus legalizing slavery throughout the nation. This infamous ruling is known as the Dred Scott decision.

Does Mr. McCain really believe that granting political prisoners some basic rights is more horrifying than decreeing that an entire segment of the population is somehow less than human? Perhaps he does. It must be remembered that after the assassination of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., legislation was proposed to make his birthday a national holiday. Arizona was one of the last states to enact such legislation, and opposition to that legislation was led by a member of the House of Representatives, one John McCain...."

Robert Fantina: McCain, Racism and the Supreme Court
>

Nothing more than a classic case of "my teacher were a liberal".

Hyperbole is a basic aspect of rhetorical prose. Usually its mastery is grasped before kindergarten, but with liberals the time varies between 20 years and never.

You besmirch Wittgenstein by your invarient low brow contributions of ad hominems, non sequiturs, and red herrings. You should quote Bozo the clown instead.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
Worse Than Dred Scott? By Robert Fantina

we can't let the corporate media control the conversation. when they bring up michelle obama's gaffe, we should say, "rather than talk about cindy mccains drug problems or john's part in the keating 5 s&l scandal, I,d rather talk about my plan for........

they lose if they don't have control of the conversation. if you talk about your plans, they have to report. every time they spin, call a press conference, deal with it quickly then talk about the real issues. don't be john kerry in other words.

....don't be john kerry in other words.

I agree, I think it critical they hit McCain with the same negatives his flunkies will hit Obama with. For instance, his attitude towards women's rights is pathetic I think, his SC choices will take us back to the 15th century.

Forum List

Back