McCain proposes a series of debates

ScreamingEagle

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2004
McCain suggests he and Obama hold 10 town hall meetings in the weeks leading up to the Democratic convention. The Obama campaign calls the idea 'appealing.'

June 5, 2008

BATON ROUGE, LA. -- A presidential campaign that has made historic strides in the areas of race, gender and fundraising could be poised to rewrite the book on debates.

With the bruising Democratic contest over, presumptive Republican nominee John McCain said Wednesday that he had proposed a series of town hall meetings with Barack Obama to be held across the country.

The first would be at New York's Federal Hall a week from today.

In his letter to the Obama campaign, McCain suggested 10 town hall meetings, one per week, to be held before the Democratic National Convention at the end of August.

They would be 60 to 90 minutes apiece and have blind questions, an independent moderator and a live audience of 200 to 400 voters selected by a polling organization such as Gallup.

The timetable would make the debates the first between major-party candidates to occur before Labor Day weekend -- the traditional start of the fall campaign season.

They also would be the first between candidates who have yet to formally receive their parties' nominations.

Earlier, more frequent debates could help carry the high voter interest levels seen during the primary season into the summer, while providing a chance to hear the candidates delve deeply into specific issues, said Kathleen Hall Jamieson, director of the Annenberg Public Policy Center at the University of Pennsylvania.

"The current structure [of campaigning] rewards candidates for being able to synthesize and digest. It doesn't reward candidates for speaking about complex issues in a nuanced fashion," Jamieson said.

The sessions could prove to be revolutionary innovations in campaigning, she said.

cont.
McCain proposes a series of debates with Obama - Los Angeles Times

McCain better cut down on the 6 different medications he's taking. He is starting to sound a little flakey. His medical record for the last eight years was 1,000 pages long. I'm not sure he can make it to the election.

I really hope McCain brings up Obama's ties to all the racist fucks he's been associating with for the past 20 years.

I really hope Jsanders brings up Obama's ties to all the racist fucks he's been associating with for the past 20 years. zz-zzz-z.

I really hope Obama brings up all of the positions that McSame has flip flopped on just so he could be considered to head a ticket for the party of exclusion...

I think this is great. Hopefully, it will bring us back to the elevated discourse of the Lincoln-Douglas debates of McCain's youth.

McCaine has lost already,I truly believe that the undecided have decided.:cool:

I really hope Jsanders brings up Obama's ties to all the racist fucks he's been associating with for the past 20 years. zz-zzz-z.

I really hope Obama brings up all of the positions that McSame has flip flopped on just so he could be considered to head a ticket for the party of exclusion...

Can you leftbots ever be original about anything? Monkey see - monkey do. Conservatives accuse Kerry of flip-flopping on an issue and y'all have felt obliged to parrot "flip-flop" every day since.

Clinton gets busted lying under oath and y'all have to say "Bush lied" every time he opens his mouth.

Get over yourselves already.

There'll be no REAL debate. Every time McCain questions any of Obama's associations he'll be accused of racism and the debate will be about whether or not McCain is a racist, not Obama's associations.

So what's the point? If they put a wooden indian in McCain's place I'll vote for it instead of Obama.

I think this is great. Hopefully, it will bring us back to the elevated discourse of the Lincoln-Douglas debates of McCain's youth.

THAT IS NOT FAIR! He can't remember those! He was only in grade school at that time. :lol:

McCain will try anything to keep from making one of his mind numbing speeches to the electorate

flip-flop???

The Iran Challenge

The Iranian regime supports violent extremists and challenges us across the region. It pursues a nuclear capability that could spark a dangerous arms race, and raise the prospect of a transfer of nuclear know-how to terrorists. Its president denies the Holocaust and threatens to wipe Israel off the map. The danger from Iran is grave, it is real, and my goal will be to eliminate this threat.

--Barack Obama, June 4, 2008

Ah, but we have entered the Obama zone, where conditions are not conditions, where Ahmadinejad is and is not really the leader of Iran, where the Iranian Revolutionary Guards isn't a terrorist group one year but is the next, where Iran is simultaneously a "tiny" and a "grave" threat, and where the absence of American combat troops in Iraq actually increases U.S. influence in the Middle East.
Here, doves are reborn as hawks, and liberals are turned into "pragmatists." And somehow the security of America and her allies will be enhanced by inadvertently promoting the interests of her enemies.

"...And somehow the security of America and her allies will be enhanced by inadvertently promoting the interests of her enemies..."

You mean like taking out their old political counterweight in the region... dumbass..

Can you leftbots ever be original about anything? Monkey see - monkey do. Conservatives accuse Kerry of flip-flopping on an issue and y'all have felt obliged to parrot "flip-flop" every day since. .
Yeah.. its kinda cool aint it...

Clinton gets busted lying under oath and y'all have to say "Bush lied" every time he opens his mouth.
not every time.. much of what he says makes no sense at all... its hard to call him a lier if you cannot understand what he's saying...

Get over yourselves already.
LOL.. sourgrapes.. NO?

There'll be no REAL debate. Every time McCain questions any of Obama's associations he'll be accused of racism and the debate will be about whether or not McCain is a racist, not Obama's associations.
LOL...seems the only people decrying racism are the cats supporting the candidate running against the black guy...

So what's the point? If they put a wooden indian in McCain's place I'll vote for it instead of Obama.
In this case you would at least be voting for a candidate with a similar IQ to your own...

btw... Does Mac really think that showing up on the same stage with a more youthfull, charismatic and intelligent candidate will somehow improve his chances? Me thinks he's really banking on O just sayin no...

Forum List

Back