McCain: Obama failed the commander-in-chief test on Iraq

Manuel

Jan 7, 2008
Sydney
John McCain unleashed his harshest broadside yet at Barack Obama Friday aftenoon, accusing the Democrat of flunking the commander-in-chief test.

Speaking to veterans in Denver, McCain tore into his rival for opposing President Bush's troop surge in Iraq - one of the few issues where the GOP has gotten traction against Obama during his tour of Europe and U.S. war zones.

"Eighteen months ago, America faced a crisis as profound as any in our history," McCain said, declaring that the choice to boost troops in the faltering Iraq war was "a real-time test for a future commander in chief" that Obama failed.
John McCain: Barack Obama failed the commander-in-chief test on Iraq

It figures you'd sneer at the people who are serious about keeping us safe.

It figures you'd sneer at the people who are serious about keeping us safe.

Safe from what?

Safe from a bunch of guys in a cave in Pakistan with no army, no navy, and no air force? Oh, please.

Cancer killed 500,000 Americans last year, and they are against universal healthcare.

Guns killed 30,000 Americans last year, and they are against sensible gun control laws.

Foreign countries control 70% of our oil supply, and they are against fuel conservation and alternative energy.

We need a new direction and new leadership in this country, or we will become a third world nation.

What did Bush do?

He let them get away.

Yes, and I have said as much many times, however that does not excuse Clinton for his failure to deal with them now does it. Wasn't it good old Bill who was offered OBL on a platter and said he didn't think we had the legal right to take him. Wasn't good old Bill who pulled thousands of troops out of Somalia and ran when 17 Americans were killed? wasn't it good old Bill who responded to the Cole attack by sending the FBI? wasn't good old Bill who responded to the Embassy bombing by lobbing a few cruise missiles at a baby formula factory in sudan?

Why must you always answer a question with another question kirk. Why do you equate criticisms of Clinton's handling of Terrorism with support for Bushes handling of it?

Last edited:
Yes, and I have said as much many times, however that does not excuse Clinton for his failure to deal with them now does it. Wasn't good old Bill who was offered OBL on a platter and said he didn't think we had the legal right to take him.

He tried at least. Baby Bush went back to clearing brush in Crawford after getting the PDB about OBL.

And let's not forget the deer frozen in the headlights for 7 minutes after the WTC was attacked.

He tried at least. Baby Bush went back to clearing brush in Crawford after getting the PDB about OBL.

And let's not forget the deer frozen in the headlights for 7 minutes after the WTC was attacked.

Oh are we speaking again?
I will ask you the same thing I asked Kirk then. Why do you guys equate criticism of Clinton's handling of Terrorism with support for bushes?

Oh and how was Clinton trying when he decided we had no legal right to take OBL from Sudan?

Last edited:
I will ask you the same thing I asked Kirk then. Why do you guys equate criticism of Clinton's handling of Terrorism with support for bushes?

Oh and how was Clinton trying when he decided we had no legal right to take OBL from Sudan?

Because, IMO, Clinton wasn't perfect, but he made best efforts based on the information available at the time.... 'shook the trees;, as it were.

By the same token, why do you mention Clinton every time someone mentions Bush.

As for Pres. Clinton having OBL handed to him on a platter, you do know that isn't true, right?

You criticisms are correct, although Clinton did miss OBL by 15 minutes when Clinton attacked his camp with missiles. So Clinton came closer to getting OBL than Bush.

You criticisms are correct, although Clinton did miss OBL by 15 minutes when Clinton attacked his camp with missiles. So Clinton came closer to getting OBL than Bush.

thanks for agreeing Kirk, Like I said I am not defending Bush. I have said time and again he failed us in Afghan, and failed us by diverting us into Iraq. However That does not get Bill off the hook for his own failures. People that will not admit that Both of them failed us on Terrorism are just partisan hacks.

I do not mention Clinton every time Someone mentions Bush, I mention Clinton every time someone tries to lay all the blame at Bushes feet. I criticize Bush all the time Jillian, I do not give him a pass for failing In Afghanistan, and for diverting us to Iraq.

I think the failure is obvious:

Johnny in his own words:

"But I believe, Katie, that the Iraqi people will greet us as liberators." [NBC, 3/20/03]

"It’s clear that the end is very much in sight." [ABC, 4/9/03]

"There’s not a history of clashes that are violent between Sunnis and Shiahs. So I think they can probably get along." [MSNBC, 4/23/03]

"This is a mission accomplished. They know how much influence Saddam Hussein had on the Iraqi people, how much more difficult it made to get their cooperation." [This Week, ABC, 12/14/03]

"I’m confident we’re on the right course." [ABC News, 3/7/04]

"I think the initial phases of it were so spectacularly successful that it took us all by surprise." [CBS, 10/31/04]

"I do think that progress is being made in a lot of Iraq. Overall, I think a year from now, we will have made a fair amount of progress if we stay the course. If I thought we weren’t making progress, I’d be despondent." [The Hill, 12/8/05]

I would have to Agree with Sen. McCain. Sen. Barack Obama has failed the commander in chief test miserably. He should withdraw now from the Presidential campaign.And allow a
real politician ,Sen. John McCain to be President.

I would have to Agree with Sen. McCain. Sen. Barack Obama has failed the commander in chief test miserably. He should withdraw now from the Presidential campaign.And allow a
real politician ,Sen. John McCain to be President.

Being a "real politician" is hardly a qualification to be president it you ask me. What we need is a real leader.

Safe from what?

Safe from a bunch of guys in a cave in Pakistan with no army, no navy, and no air force? Oh, please.

Cancer killed 500,000 Americans last year, and they are against universal healthcare.

Guns killed 30,000 Americans last year, and they are against sensible gun control laws.

Foreign countries control 70% of our oil supply, and they are against fuel conservation and alternative energy.

We need a new direction and new leadership in this country, or we will become a third world nation.

Your an idiot and your idealouges would be dangerous for this country. Imagine those same soliderless terrorists in a cave in Paskistan, mounted the largest terror attack on American soil in our nations history.

I guess in your opinion we should just charge these thugs in our legal system.

The United States leads the world in medical research which would include cancer research. If the US was to implement an universal healthcare system those research dollars would dry up.

Guns killed 0 people last year. People with guns killed.....

If we were to open open oil shale development we wouldn't be depending on foreign oil. While we were floating in an oil reserve of 800 billion barrels, we could develop those alternative energy sources.

Your an idiot and your idealouges would be dangerous for this country. Imagine those same soliderless terrorists in a cave in Paskistan, mounted the largest terror attack on American soil in our nations history.
that guys in a cave comment is one of Kirks favorite tag lines, and IMO one of the most Ignorant and naive things I have ever heard said in light of what happened on 911. he is probably one of those who thinks it was not Islamic terrorist who attacked us, but us that attacked us. I would no be surprised one bit if he was.

The United States leads the world in medical research which would include cancer research. If the US was to implement an universal healthcare system those research dollars would dry up.
Not to mention Taxes would SKY rocket, further slowing an already align economy, and you think the war in Iraq cost a lot, this will grow deficit spending and out Debt exponentially compared to the War in Iraq, and the war on terror. Many estimated put the cost of universal health care in the US in the trillions of dollars PER YEAR.

add that to a budget that is already over 3 trillion a year and see what you get.

Kirk lives in a land of fairy tales and pipe dreams.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back