McCain Makes a Fool of Himself, Yet Again

I like the British miranda warning:

You do not have to say anything, but it may harm your defence if you do not mention, when questioned, something which you later rely on in court. Anything you do say may be given in evidence.

They removed the 'right to silence' and replaced it with the above. I think it's a better method.

Whether it is or isn't is irrelevant. Not telling someone someone their constitution rights doesnt stop them from exercising them. Nor does it stop a need for interrogation.

I'll be voting for McCain.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xULUb98TNwk]YouTube - A Special Message from J.D. Hayworth[/ame]

Yes. Heaven forbid we not read Miranda rights. How on earth would we ever convict him unless he gives us tons of statements incriminating himself? I mean it's not like we have him on camera or eye witnesses or anything of the sort.

And it's not like we need intelligence from him for national security purposes that have nothing to do with a criminal trial.

avatar? does 5th amendment RIGHTS ring a bell with you?

he is going to be convicted because we have proof that he bought this car just days before this incident...we will certainly be able to follow that trail....

are you saying we can not get a conviction in this country WITHOUT breaking our citizen's 5th amendment rights?

are you truly a lawyer or studying to be one? sometimes your comments make no sense at all avatar.....:eusa_pray:

Of course my comments make no sense. You don't have a clue what your talking about.

The 5th amendment says absolutely nothing about telling a criminal Miranda rights.

And no Im not saying we can not get a convinction without breaking the 5th amendment. Quite the opposite. I'm saying that Miranda is completely irrelevant because we have eye witness evidence. We don't need self incriminating statements. So there is no reason why he should not be interrogated for other information. They idea that they can't interrogate him is ridiculous.

I get what you're saying...

It's funny, I watch all these crime dramas on TV, and I've never taken the time to think about the Miranda rights. Now that I am, they wouldn't apply at all to intelligence questioning, or to any part of the case other than the suspect's challenged questioning.

Yes. Heaven forbid we not read Miranda rights. How on earth would we ever convict him unless he gives us tons of statements incriminating himself? I mean it's not like we have him on camera or eye witnesses or anything of the sort.

And it's not like we need intelligence from him for national security purposes that have nothing to do with a criminal trial.
Hey Einstein...we are a nation of LAWS not MEN.

And YES, its a VERY CRAZY idea to strip citizennzship from people who have ALREADY become citizens.

Political Junky makes a fool of himself yet again... by assuming that the media are reporting accurately about the questioning of the suspect.

This sort of shit always makes me laugh.
More RW nutjob speculation based on nothing but ideology. You people sure love making ASSumptions.

I like the British miranda warning:

You do not have to say anything, but it may harm your defence if you do not mention, when questioned, something which you later rely on in court. Anything you do say may be given in evidence.

They removed the 'right to silence' and replaced it with the above. I think it's a better method.
Can you think of anything else you that the British has done a bit better than here?

WoW!!!

You people in AZ are royally SCREWED.

Your choices are between the pot ant the frying pan.

No wonder you have such NUTJOB WHACKO RW leglislation.

You'll be in my prayers.

so.... you really ARE supportive of denying American citizens their constitutional rights?

why am I not surprised?

Hey Einstein...we are a nation of LAWS not MEN.

And YES, its a VERY CRAZY idea to strip citizennzship from people who have ALREADY become citizens.

Are you suggesting you can't strip someone citizenship from them?

See: Nationality Act of 1940, 54 Stat. 1169.

Last edited:
More evidence that senility should be an automatic disqualification for any elected office.
What benefit is there in reading him his rights? It means that any evidence that comes from those questions can be used against him. If no rights are read, then it would follow that any evidence gained CAN'T be used against him. But if the timeliness of the information to be gained exceeds any value it would have in a criminal trial, then to delay reading him his rights is of greater value.

There is incontrovertible evidence that he is guilty; his home's key was found in the vehicle, his email address when he responded to an add to purchase the vehicle for which he paid cash, purchase of fertilizer, etc. etc...

This implies that we get the best of both worlds: we would be able to convict him in a criminal trial, and able to extract useful information to locate any accomplices or other perishable information, which he surely had.

His guilt was not in question.

His citizenship actually might be, since he probably lied on citizenship application documents

Well, if Sarah Palin is as popular and politically influential as her fans claim she is, her endorsement of McCain should be the deciding factor in getting him re-elected.

OMG that's funny....:lol:

Lied or not, the guy is a naturalized US citizen...If he didn't get Mirandized, he'd have an out to potentially get acquitted.

The law is the law, man.

Oh yeah...And Juan McQweasel is still senile.

Are you sure about that Dude? That if no information used against him comes from any un-Mirandized statemements he can, as a result of that, be acquitted?

And old John seems pretty with it to me since his logic is most often more with it than his opponents. Seems to me he is being held to a higher standard if only because of his chronological age.

Much as I personally don't like it, the would-be bomber is a US citizen....He should be Mirandized...Yet, since he's confessing/bragging about it, the argument is pretty much academic at this point.

I'm holding McWeasel to no higher standard than I do any other squishy sellout republican neoconnie douchebag.

The time of the alleged "maverick" has come and gone.

i think what avatar is trying to say is, it is a 5th amendment constitutional violation per miranda v. arizona (irony since this is mccain) to interrogate him while in police custody...however, the remedy to this violation is to simply not use any of those statements in order to get a conviction...

Much as I personally don't like it, the would-be bomber is a US citizen....He should be Mirandized...Yet, since he's confessing/bragging about it, the argument is pretty much academic at this point.

I'm holding McWeasel to no higher standard than I do any other squishy sellout republican neoconnie douchebag.

He took an oath of citizenship, and he also filled out documents which required truthfulness. I don't know it for a fact, but the validity of his citizenship might be in question.

As for McCain, even though I voted for him I detested him primarily because of McCain-Fiengold which to me made him a detractor of the constitution. But he occasionally makes sense and when he does I applaud it, notwithstanding my low opinion of his conservative credentials. I hope he is soon replaced in the US Senate by Hayworth.

I watched "Is it legal?"on O'Reilly last night and there is a legal exception to Miranda for Al Qaeda members. McCain was correct in claiming that they should wait. The terrorist was not al qaeda but that info would not be known definitively right away.

It amazes me how many people call others "stupid" regarding national security issues of which they have no clearance.

Keep parroting the Huffpost.

He took an oath of citizenship, and he also filled out documents which required truthfulness. I don't know it for a fact, but the validity of his citizenship might be in question.

As for McCain, even though I voted for him I detested him primarily because of McCain-Fiengold which to me made him a detractor of the constitution. But he occasionally makes sense and when he does I applaud it, notwithstanding my low opinion of his conservative credentials. I hope he is soon replaced in the US Senate by Hayworth.
Even a blind squirrel can find a nut every now and again.

And don't you find it a tad conveeeeenient that McLouse is now all for securing the borders, now that he's up for re-election?

Even a blind squirrel can find a nut every now and again.

And don't you find it a tad conveeeeenient that McLouse is now all for securing the borders, now that he's up for re-election?
Of course I do, and it's just one more reason to want him to lose, but as you artfully said, he sometimes gets it right.

His losing to Obama might end up being the stimulation we needed, after going so far wrong, to set things right....now that the majority of folks are awake again. His losing in his senate race will be just another signal that we are awake. If he had won against Obama, we would've not gotten a "wake-up" call.

so.... you really ARE supportive of denying American citizens their constitutional rights?

why am I not surprised?

Iheard someone on that side say, I know he is an american but.....or better yet Mccain said to not give him miranda rights at all, which would make a situation that could let him get out of jail free.

Wow. These guys wave the flag but forgot what the flag stands for.

Absolutely.

Forum List

Back