McCain Lies About Ayers

jillian

Princess
Apr 4, 2006
The Other Side of Paradise
File Under People In Glass Houses... :cuckoo::eusa_liar::eusa_whistle:

McCain cranks out some false and misleading attacks on Obama's connection to a 1960s radical.

In a TV ad, McCain says Obama "lied" about his association with William Ayers, a former bomb-setting, anti-war radical from the 1960s and '70s. We find McCain's claim to be groundless. New details have recently come to light, but nothing Obama said previously has been shown to be false.

In a Web ad and in repeated attacks from the stump, McCain describes the two as associates, and Palin claims they "pal around" together. But so far as is known, their relationship was never very close. An Obama spokesman says they last saw each other in a chance encounter on the street more than a year ago.

McCain says in an Internet ad that the two "ran a radical 'education' foundation" in Chicago. But the supposedly "radical" group was supported by a Republican governor and included on its board prominent local civic leaders, including one former Nixon administration official who has given $1,500 to McCain's campaign this year. Education Week says the group's work "reflected mainstream thinking" among school reformers. The group was the Chicago Annenberg Challenge, started by a $49 million grant from the Annenberg Foundation, which was established by the publisher Walter Annenberg, a prominent Republican whose widow, Leonore, is a contributor to the McCain campaign.

(FactCheck.org, which is nonpartisan, also receives funding from the Annenberg Foundation. But we are in no way connected to the Chicago Annenberg Challenge, which finished its work long before we came into being in late 2003.)
For full details, please read on to our Analysis section.

Analysis
Sen. John McCain has dialed up his attacks on Sen. Barack Obama's past association with former Weather Underground activist Bill Ayers. He released a 30-second TV spot Oct. 10 claiming Obama "lied" about Ayers. A day earlier he announced a 90-second Internet ad claiming that Obama and Ayers "ran a radical education foundation together" and suggesting Obama was being untruthful.

FactCheck.org: "He Lied" About Bill Ayers?

It's that whole desperation thing.

It's kind of derailed the straight talk express. pity, too.
I'm starting to feel embarrassed for him. I only hope he was never an honorable man, somehow it seems worse to have been one and become the opposite than to never have been one before.

It's that whole desperation thing.

It's kind of derailed the straight talk express. pity, too.
maybe someone should lock him on his bus! he might have a better chance of winning in two weeks if they stop him from talking and babbling on!

File Under People In Glass Houses... :cuckoo::eusa_liar::eusa_whistle:

FactCheck.org: "He Lied" About Bill Ayers?

Jillian:

You are in serious denial.

Facts:

1. Obama was hired (we still don't know who by) to be Chairman of the Chicago Annenberg Project to oversee the distribution of 50 million dollars that Ayers got the grant for and another 50 million that was raised by Obama and the board. Ayers was also a member of the board and personally received a large sum of money for his own school project. Note: All the school projects were complete failures.

2. Later they served together on the Woods Foundation.

3. They shared the same office address on the same floor in a very small office building for three years.

4. Their children attended the same school.

5. Obama's campaign manager stated they were friendly.

6. The appeared together on stage at least two times at U of I events one of which Michelle helped put on.

7. They remained in communication until Obama went to the US senate.

8. Obama publicly praised Ayers' book in the Chicago Tribune.

9. Ayers' mentions Obama in his book.

10. Obama's political coming out event was at Ayer's home and according to two attendees at the Obama / Ayers event. One of these attendees was a doctor and the other the politician who Obama was replacing.

Obama and Ayers were not "two ships passing in the night". Obama choose to ally himself with Ayers just as Obama chose to ally himself with Rezko and Wright.

Last edited:
I'm starting to feel embarrassed for him. I only hope he was never an honorable man, somehow it seems worse to have been one and become the opposite than to never have been one before.

I think the pushpolls in 2000 did him in. He knew that nomination was supposed to be his. So this time around he hired the same people who stuck it to him then.

We have emergency rabies shot available in the clinic still.

low life? they don't come any lower than obamas mama!

I'm sorry, honey... just factchecked ya is all.

You like that site, right?

If you're going to spam, sweetie, spam with truthiness.

*muah*

Every single point of my post is 100% true.

As I said you are in serious denial.

But then again that's why you're an Obama supporter.

I think you messed up the title of this thread. You said McCain instead of Obama.

NEW YORK In a surprising a letter to the editor published in The New York Times today, the chief prosecutor of the Weather Underground in the 1970s expressed outrage over the linking of Barack Obama to Bill Ayers by the McCain campaign, adding, "Although I dearly wanted to obtain convictions against all the Weathermen, including Bill Ayers, I am very pleased to learn that he has become a responsible citizen."

William C. Ibershof also corrects a charge in the Times: "I do take issue with the statement in your news article that the Weathermen indictment was dismissed because of 'prosecutorial misconduct.' It was dismissed because of illegal activities, including wiretaps, break-ins and mail interceptions, initiated by John N. Mitchell, attorney general at that time, and W. Mark Felt, an F.B.I. assistant director."

Felt, of course (you may have already forgotten), was also known as a guy called "Deep Throat."

The full letter follows. For constant coverage of the media and the campaign go to our new blog at:
The E&P Pub

As the lead federal prosecutor of the Weathermen in the 1970s (I was then chief of the criminal division in the Eastern District of Michigan and took over the Weathermen prosecution in 1972), I am amazed and outraged that Senator Barack Obama is being linked to William Ayers’s terrorist activities 40 years ago when Mr. Obama was, as he has noted, just a child.

Although I dearly wanted to obtain convictions against all the Weathermen, including Bill Ayers, I am very pleased to learn that he has become a responsible citizen.

Because Senator Obama recently served on a board of a charitable organization with Mr. Ayers cannot possibly link the senator to acts perpetrated by Mr. Ayers so many years ago.

I do take issue with the statement in your news article that the Weathermen indictment was dismissed because of “prosecutorial misconduct.” It was dismissed because of illegal activities, including wiretaps, break-ins and mail interceptions, initiated by John N. Mitchell, attorney general at that time, and W. Mark Felt, an F.B.I. assistant director.

William C. Ibershof
Mill Valley, Calif., Oct. 8, 2008

Forum List

Back