McCain In Trouble

C-101

Old School Conservative
Apr 10, 2009
N. Korea
McCain Feeling Primary Heat From His Right Flank - WSJ.com

Arizona Sen. John McCain, the Republicans' standard-bearer in 2008, is facing a surprisingly strong primary challenge from the right, evidence that even party leaders aren't safe from the swell of conservative activism heading into the 2010 midterm elections.

. . .

A Rasmussen poll in November showed the two men in a virtual tie. A more recent poll had Mr. McCain with a 22-point lead, 53% to 31%. Mr. Rose, the Hayworth aide, said the campaign's polling shows the race closer than that, but not as close as November.

"This is not an idle threat that Mr. McCain faces, and the reason has more to do with his history with conservatives than just about anything else," said pollster Scott Rasmussen, president of Rasmussen Reports. Mr. McCain's positions on campaign finance and immigration, among other areas, have also set him apart from the party's right.

It is the kind of intramural dodgeball playing out around the country as establishment-backed Republicans find themselves pelted by anti-big government, anti-spending, anti-tax populists. Among the battlegrounds are Senate primaries in Florida, where conservative darling Marco Rubio, a former state lawmaker, is taking on Gov. Charlie Crist, and in California, where Chuck Devore, a conservative state assemblyman, is challenging the establishment choices, ex-congressman Tom Campbell and former Hewlett-Packard Co. Chief Executive Carly Fiorina.

"Arizona's Republicans deserve a choice and an alternative to Mr. McCain's moderate record on taxes, social issues, the border and bailing out the banks," Mr. Hayworth said in a robo-call his campaign said it would place to tens of thousands of Arizona Republicans.

Arizona political analysts say Mr. Hayworth may be able to capture the energy of the small-government conservatives, as well as anti-immigration voters. They are also the people most likely to show up at a primary held in the heat of the Arizona summer, Mr. Rasmussen said.

"Anybody who doesn't take J.D.'s race against McCain seriously is crazy," said Bruce Merrill, professor emeritus of mass communication at Arizona State University, and a former teacher of Mr. Hayworth. He predicted, though, that Mr. McCain will prevail.

With $5 million in the McCain campaign treasury, according to an aide, the senator has hit the Arizona airwaves, portraying himself as "Arizona's last line of defense" against government spending, bloated bureaucracy and government-run health care.

Thank God. I don't think I could stand another six years of McCain stammering about "reaching across the aisle".

While we're at it, let's kick Spector out of office too.

McCain Feeling Primary Heat From His Right Flank - WSJ.com

Arizona Sen. John McCain, the Republicans' standard-bearer in 2008, is facing a surprisingly strong primary challenge from the right, evidence that even party leaders aren't safe from the swell of conservative activism heading into the 2010 midterm elections.

. . .

A Rasmussen poll in November showed the two men in a virtual tie. A more recent poll had Mr. McCain with a 22-point lead, 53% to 31%. Mr. Rose, the Hayworth aide, said the campaign's polling shows the race closer than that, but not as close as November.

"This is not an idle threat that Mr. McCain faces, and the reason has more to do with his history with conservatives than just about anything else," said pollster Scott Rasmussen, president of Rasmussen Reports. Mr. McCain's positions on campaign finance and immigration, among other areas, have also set him apart from the party's right.

It is the kind of intramural dodgeball playing out around the country as establishment-backed Republicans find themselves pelted by anti-big government, anti-spending, anti-tax populists. Among the battlegrounds are Senate primaries in Florida, where conservative darling Marco Rubio, a former state lawmaker, is taking on Gov. Charlie Crist, and in California, where Chuck Devore, a conservative state assemblyman, is challenging the establishment choices, ex-congressman Tom Campbell and former Hewlett-Packard Co. Chief Executive Carly Fiorina.

"Arizona's Republicans deserve a choice and an alternative to Mr. McCain's moderate record on taxes, social issues, the border and bailing out the banks," Mr. Hayworth said in a robo-call his campaign said it would place to tens of thousands of Arizona Republicans.

Arizona political analysts say Mr. Hayworth may be able to capture the energy of the small-government conservatives, as well as anti-immigration voters. They are also the people most likely to show up at a primary held in the heat of the Arizona summer, Mr. Rasmussen said.

"Anybody who doesn't take J.D.'s race against McCain seriously is crazy," said Bruce Merrill, professor emeritus of mass communication at Arizona State University, and a former teacher of Mr. Hayworth. He predicted, though, that Mr. McCain will prevail.

With $5 million in the McCain campaign treasury, according to an aide, the senator has hit the Arizona airwaves, portraying himself as "Arizona's last line of defense" against government spending, bloated bureaucracy and government-run health care.

Thank God. I don't think I could stand another six years of McCain stammering about "reaching across the aisle".

While we're at it, let's kick Spector out of office too.

Spector does not reach across the aisle. He simply crosses the aisle.

ANd yes...the time has come for conservative senators to represent the people and offset the liberal senators that lie to get seated.

time to flush the toilet of all these Rhino turds!!!! These turds are the reason why the Republicans lose elections.

time to flush the toilet of all these Rhino turds!!!! These turds are the reason why the Republicans lose elections.

McCain never voted for an earmark in his life. He is a fiscal conservative more than most. A shit load more than Pork loving Ron Paul. The surge that WON the war in Iraq was all McCain's idea. For a long time a huge Democratic attack was to call the surge the McCain surge. People don't give McCain credit for winning the Iraq War. McCain is prolife and anti-gay marriage. He went a little weak on illegal immigration.

So here is his conservative report card:
(1) Fiscal - check
(2) National Defense - check
(3) Small government - check
(4) Pro-abortion - check
(5) Anti-gay marriage -check
(6) Border Security and Illegal Immigration - Fails
(7) Cap and Trade - Check (he is against it and voted against it0

6 out of 7 ain't bad!

Not saying McCain is a bad sort of fella but it's really time for him to retire. Time for some new blood. Thanks for your great service McCain. Now go have a happy retirement.

Not saying McCain is a bad sort of fella but it's really time for him to retire. Time for some new blood. Thanks for your great service McCain. Now go have a happy retirement.

My sentiments exactly.

His political style worked until the most liberal of democrats came into the senate.
Now we need those that will offset the others.

McCain never voted for an earmark in his life. He is a fiscal conservative more than most. A shit load more than Pork loving Ron Paul. The surge that WON the war in Iraq was all McCain's idea. For a long time a huge Democratic attack was to call the surge the McCain surge. People don't give McCain credit for winning the Iraq War. McCain is prolife and anti-gay marriage. He went a little weak on illegal immigration.

(1) Fiscal - check
(4) Pro-abortion - check

6 out of 7 ain't bad!

These people would have excluded Reagan.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/96754-small-tent-republicans-would-have-excluded-reagan.html
http://www.usmessageboard.com/polit...republicans-want-to-impose-a-litmus-test.html

I saw Meghan McCain on The View today. I really like her. She is a fine young woman. If her father loses, she will be very hurt for him. But I know he does need to go. I just wish that it didn't have to hurt his family.

McCain is entertaining to watch shuffle around.

Due to the wounds he incurred in Nam.

You are better than that uscitizen....

No, really, he's not better than that. I don't like McCain as a person but I would never make fun of his war injuries, his cancer surgeries or his age. That's what demons do, they destroy! til their little feelings get scratched then they whine like crazy. :lol::lol:

And age. I am an old shuffling fart too. Heck I am in a wheelchair much of the time.

McCain wrecked more planes than I have cars in my life so far.

Give it a rest US.......the man wrecked planes as he served his country.

Have you ever flown a plane in combat before? I have not either, but I fly and it blows my mind to think of what it must be like to not have vision below me where ack is fired at me and not have vision befind me where a mig may be.

It is not fair to criticize anyone in the military for their actions. Your whole world changes when you are wondering if there is someone trying to kill you within 5 feet of you.

No, really, he's not better than that. I don't like McCain as a person but I would never make fun of his war injuries, his cancer surgeries or his age. That's what demons do, they destroy! til their little feelings get scratched then they whine like crazy. :lol::lol:

I am an old vet with war injuries and such. I am allowed to critique McCain.
Don't like it? Kiss my old ass :D

McCain messed up bad is why he got shot down in Nam.
Had he been doing like he was supposed to...

War is not very forgiving to those who mess up.

Last edited:

I am an old vet with war injuries and such. I am allowed to critique McCain.
Don't like it? Kiss my old ass :D

McCain messed up bad is why he got shot down in Nam.
Had he been doing like he was supposed to...

War is not very forgiving to those who mess up.

No, it is not forgiving to those that mess up.

But those that are served by those that mess up in war are forgiving....even those that have served as well.

And if you have war injuries, and I doubt you would lie about it, then you know how easy it is to mess up when in combat.

And by the way, my experience does not give me the right to criticize anyone who served before me, with me or after me.

You and I do not see eye to eye and I am not impressed.

I was actually starting to really enjoy debating you. I am once again disappointed.

(1) Fiscal - check
(4) Pro-abortion - check

6 out of 7 ain't bad!
Fiscal - Opposing earmarks is nice but the guy voted for TARP. See more under "small" government.

National Defense - Strong on all fronts but I question his opposition to the F-22 Raptor. The F-15's are aging and sooner or later a replacement will have to be found.

Small government - Hmm, don't think so. Aside from voting for TARP, McCain was part of the now-infamous McCain-Feingold attack on free speech. Remember also that McCain wanted a stimulus package of his own had he been elected president and ultimately ended up voting yes for the Bush stimulus spending. He also voted to extend even more entitlement benefits for the unemployed and has consistently voted in favor of minimum wage increases. Also, he voted to expand the national volunteer program known as Americorp so the government can recruit more mindless proletarians for their cause. Let's not forget the fact that he voted the disastrous No Child Left Behind Act and in the same year of 2001 voted for increased funding of the executive bureaucracies such as the Department of Education and the Department of Housing and Urban Development. Furthermore, he approved of the 2007 Budget resolution monstrosity despite the fact that it was short of $3 trillion over five years.

Pro-life: Yes

Anti-gay marriage: Yes

Illegal Immigration: Scary

Cap and Trade: He may be against this bill but let's not forget that McCain does believe in climate change and doing something about it.

Gun Rights: Yes

I would give him a 4/8. Definitely a moderate.

(1) Fiscal - check
(4) Pro-abortion - check

6 out of 7 ain't bad!
Fiscal - Opposing earmarks is nice but the guy voted for TARP. See more under "small" government.

National Defense - Strong on all fronts but I question his opposition to the F-22 Raptor. The F-15's are aging and sooner or later a replacement will have to be found.

Small government - Hmm, don't think so. Aside from voting for TARP, McCain was part of the now-infamous McCain-Feingold attack on free speech. Remember also that McCain wanted a stimulus package of his own had he been elected president and ultimately ended up voting yes for the Bush stimulus spending. He also voted to extend even more entitlement benefits for the unemployed and has consistently voted in favor of minimum wage increases. Also, he voted to expand the national volunteer program known as Americorp so the government can recruit more mindless proletarians for their cause. Let's not forget the fact that he voted the disastrous No Child Left Behind Act and in the same year of 2001 voted for increased funding of the executive bureaucracies such as the Department of Education and the Department of Housing and Urban Development. Furthermore, he approved of the 2007 Budget resolution monstrosity despite the fact that it was short of $3 trillion over five years.

Pro-life: Yes

Anti-gay marriage: Yes

Illegal Immigration: Scary

Cap and Trade: He may be against this bill but let's not forget that McCain does believe in climate change and doing something about it.

Gun Rights: Yes

I would give him a 4/8. Definitely a moderate.

I am not convinced that he truly believes in climate change. I believe he may have jumped o that bandwago for political expediency during the campaign.

As for the raptor...great machine. Nothing like it. But very expensive and I do not believe it enhanced our air superiority to a point where it made financial sense. The f-18 is a great ride as well.

McCain is a great man. A hero, a true servant to the people. But he can not hold a candle to the strength of the liberal congress. He can not help offset a fundamental change in America that the liberal congress is pushing for.

McStupid is a hypocrite, as well as an idiot.

Didn't he realize that videotaped speeches tend to stick around for a while, and, when they re-surface, the people will expect you to live up to your word.

McStupid is a hypocrite, as well as an idiot.

Didn't he realize that videotaped speeches tend to stick around for a while, and, when they re-surface, the people will expect you to live up to your word.

But all he has to do is say..."Yes, I said it....but it is not my fault."

It works for Obama...why not McCain?

"A day will come when my party considers me a liberal." - Barry Goldwater.

"However, on religious issues there can be little or no compromise. There is no position on which people are so immovable as their religious beliefs. There is no more powerful ally one can claim in a debate than Jesus Christ, or God, or Allah, or whatever one calls this supreme being. But like any powerful weapon, the use of God's name on one's behalf should be used sparingly. The religious factions that are growing throughout our land are not using their religious clout with wisdom. They are trying to force government leaders into following their position 100 percent. If you disagree with these religious groups on a particular moral issue, they complain, they threaten you with a loss of money or votes or both. I'm frankly sick and tired of the political preachers across this country telling me as a citizen that if I want to be a moral person, I must believe in 'A,' 'B,' 'C,' and 'D.' Just who do they think they are? And from where do they presume to claim the right to dictate their moral beliefs to me? And I am even more angry as a legislator who must endure the threats of every religious group who thinks it has some God-granted right to control my vote on every roll call in the Senate. I am warning them today: I will fight them every step of the way if they try to dictate their moral convictions to all Americans in the name of 'conservatism.' "

Barry Goldwater Quote with Comments

Barry lost.

Forum List

Back