McCain: I can't promise to support Palin for president

CrimsonWhite

*****istrator Emeritus
Mar 13, 2006
Guntucky
Why is this even a story?

(CNN) -- Sen. John McCain said Sunday he would not necessarily support his former running mate if she chose to run for president.

Speaking to ABC's "This Week," McCain was asked whether Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin could count on his support.

"I can't say something like that. We've got some great other young governors. I think you're going to see the governors assume a greater leadership role in our Republican Party," he said.

He then mentioned governors Tim Pawlenty of Minnesota and Jon Huntsman of Utah.

McCain said he has "the greatest appreciation for Gov. Palin and her family, and it was a great joy to know them."

"She invigorated our campaign" against Barack Obama for the presidency, he said.

McCain was pressed on why he can't promise support for the woman who, just months ago, he named as the second best person to lead the nation.

"Have no doubt of my admiration and respect for her and my view of her viability, but at this stage, again ... my corpse is still warm, you know?" he replied.

In his first Sunday political TV appearance since November 4, McCain also promised to work to build consensus in tackling America's challenges, and criticized his own party for its latest attack on Obama.

McCain rejected complaints from the Republican National Committee that Obama has not been transparent about his contacts with Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich.

"I think that the Obama campaign should and will give all information necessary," McCain told ABC's "This Week."

McCain: I can't promise to support Palin for president - CNN.com

As I said in another thread...I view this comment and several others McCain has said recently, as proof that McCain is desperate to get back into the good graces of the MSM. He isn't used to the left and the MSM disliking him...so he's selling out his campaign, blaming his bad decisions on others.

Nothing new here either...

McCain needed Palin to attract the American vote...

One thing is new however... I will never again support McCain for any office, anywhere and will send financial support to who ever is runing against that scumbag... if for nothing else than general principle.

Yep, make a list of all the Republicans that you do not like. Support all the opposition within the party, use all the Rovian tactics you can muster. I like the idea. Then maybe we will see 70 Dem Senators in 2010.

Nothing new here either...

McCain needed Palin to attract the American vote...

One thing is new however... I will never again support McCain for any office, anywhere and will send financial support to who ever is runing against that scumbag... if for nothing else than general principle.

As opposed to the American vote that he did not get?

Maybe it s because he now indirectly admits that he thinks that Palin ruined his campaign, she did make a bit of a mess I believe.

Maybe it is also because it is still a long way from the next election. It is certainly unknown who the front runners will be, let alone the nominee. Maybe it is because situations could be different in 3+ years. Maybe it is because he can't tell the future and should not make comments that revolve about the future of an election based on votes and popular whim at the time.

There's not hing wrong with what he said. Would I have answered that way? No.... But people are putting WAYYYYYYYYYY too much into this

A lot of people are interested in seeing what becomes of the GOP. Will they continue to pander to their rabid members? Will they remember the definition of conservative and remake their party?

Yes, if the default leading Republican of the moment supports the whacky wing of the party is an interesting question.

As I said in another thread...I view this comment and several others McCain has said recently, as proof that McCain is desperate to get back into the good graces of the MSM. He isn't used to the left and the MSM disliking him...so he's selling out his campaign, blaming his bad decisions on others.

Oh pooh...

You know, you usually go for much more complex answers. That one seems to me to defy logic. Had this been a normal election year, the pick of Palin might have made sense. But the economy tanked and it wasn't a "base" year, so he actually had to look like he was equipped to handle things. Unfortunately, the pretend suspension of his campaign, and his comments that "the fundamentals of the economy" made him look blathering... and his choicee of Palin kept the middle away from McCain in droves.

The "MSM" (And I do hate that expression, b/c what should news be? Extremist? Freakshow? No. It SHOULD be mainstream) never did anything but report glowingly on McCain... until Palin proved she knows nothing about nothing... and then they did their job... you know, actually interviewed her.

And did you really think anyone to the left of Atilla the Hun was going to vote for someone who said there were "pro-America parts of the country?"

Maybe it is also because it is still a long way from the next election. It is certainly unknown who the front runners will be, let alone the nominee. Maybe it is because situations could be different in 3+ years. Maybe it is because he can't tell the future and should not make comments that revolve about the future of an election based on votes and popular whim at the time.

There's not hing wrong with what he said. Would I have answered that way? No.... But people are putting WAYYYYYYYYYY too much into this

does it matter who the front runner's will be? or must McCain wait to see exactly who's ass he needs to kiss?

If McCain believed her to be the best choice for VP, thereby the second best choice for President behind himself, then one would logically assume he'd be happy to say "if she runs in 2012 she'll have my full support"

does it matter who the front runner's will be? or must McCain wait to see exactly who's ass he needs to kiss?

If McCain believed her to be the best choice for VP, thereby the second best choice for President behind himself, then one would logically assume he'd be happy to say "if she runs in 2012 she'll have my full support"

That is not logical at all.. considering the political landscape in 2012 can be much different than what it is right now...

Oh pooh...

You know, you usually go for much more complex answers. That one seems to me to defy logic. Had this been a normal election year, the pick of Palin might have made sense. But the economy tanked and it wasn't a "base" year, so he actually had to look like he was equipped to handle things. Unfortunately, the pretend suspension of his campaign, and his comments that "the fundamentals of the economy" made him look blathering... and his choicee of Palin kept the middle away from McCain in droves.

The "MSM" (And I do hate that expression, b/c what should news be? Extremist? Freakshow? No. It SHOULD be mainstream) never did anything but report glowingly on McCain... until Palin proved she knows nothing about nothing... and then they did their job... you know, actually interviewed her.

And did you really think anyone to the left of Atilla the Hun was going to vote for someone who said there were "pro-America parts of the country?"

That's not what the Washington Post's ombudsman said. Assuming the Washington Post is a part of the MSM.

Interestingly, Al Gore didn't support Joe Lieberman the next time out :eusa_whistle:

Or maybe he realized what a true moron she is! Or maybe it could be a reporter asking a question that and he gave a general answer to!

Either way Palin in 2012 is a gift to the Democrats, media and comedians! Hopefully she doesn't get caught pardoning any felons like she did with the Turkeys, because maybe when she is giving the pardoning speech you will see a few inmates shaking as they are dying on the electric chair!

Or maybe the story about her 5 under-graduate colleges she attended before graduating will be main stream!

I don't blame McCain. Palin would make a great game show host but not a good President.

I don't blame McCain. Palin would make a great game show host but not a good President.

I quite agree.

Especially one of those "reality" shows where the winners are people who are the ones who are the best at betraying their opponents.

Or maybe one of those "reality" show where boys and girls act like petulant children while they're trying to hook up.

The audience for those will without a doubt sense that Palin is a kindred spirit.

Last edited:

New Topics

Forum List

Back