McCain GOP's Best Shot to Win Presidency

I still think Hillary wins it this time around. Obama's turn is in 8 years, IMO. Though I could be wrong. Depends on Florida and Super Tuesday. And it is amazing to see Dems come out to vote in record numbers.

You're correct on the Repub candidates, though. But isn't it pathetic that they won't vote for Romney because he's Mormon? I mean, there's a lot you can disagree with him about. But they're going to find that with the right imposing it's own little religious test, they're going to get worse and worse candidates.

Giuliani is no liberal. He's just good on social issues. He's out, though. I think he miscalculated by putting all his eggs in the Florida basket. Allowed McCain to get the mo...

I do think it's pathetic, especially since he's proven to not be a religious driven politician (unlike Huckabee), but the republican party is all about stability and resistance to change. The democrat party tries to get a lot done (often too much), and the republican party, right now at least, is taking the stance of "stop the democrats" instead of the stance "make America better for Americans", which is what the democrats are running on. I think this is the main reason why Democrats will easily win this fall. Americans are tired of sending our troops to die in Iraq, tired of not having health care, tired of failing schools, and tired of watching the rich bask in tax refunds while the poor struggle to live off of their paychecks.

I can't disagree with a single thing you said.

I think whichever Dem wins will be fine. I do think Obama would be the most inspiring. I'm just not sure it's his year yet.

The repubs have yet another problem... they want a president who is dictatorial. They like that "strong leader" thing, whereas Dems do everything by consensus and after hearings, yadda, yadda. However, after the last 7 years, no one is going to trust a dictatorial pres who rams everything down our throats.

I still think Hillary wins it this time around. Obama's turn is in 8 years, IMO. Though I could be wrong. Depends on Florida and Super Tuesday. And it is amazing to see Dems come out to vote in record numbers.

You're correct on the Repub candidates, though. But isn't it pathetic that they won't vote for Romney because he's Mormon? I mean, there's a lot you can disagree with him about. But they're going to find that with the right imposing it's own little religious test, they're going to get worse and worse candidates.

Giuliani is no liberal. He's just good on social issues. He's out, though. I think he miscalculated by putting all his eggs in the Florida basket. Allowed McCain to get the mo...

I thought Hillary was a sure thing a few weeks ago but I am beginning to wonder now. Obama has a lot of momentum and he has lots of big names (Kennedy) that are endorcing him. But the Clintons are very calculating and there is nothing the Hill won't do to win the nominations, so stay tuned. My money is still on the Hill.

As for the GOP, I really don't have a good idea but if they are to stand any chance at all in the fall, McCain is their guy. It will be interesting.

I can't disagree with a single thing you said.

I think whichever Dem wins will be fine. I do think Obama would be the most inspiring. I'm just not sure it's his year yet.

The repubs have yet another problem... they want a president who is dictatorial. They like that "strong leader" thing, whereas Dems do everything by consensus and after hearings, yadda, yadda. However, after the last 7 years, no one is going to trust a dictatorial pres who rams everything down our throats.

I agree with that. It's fascinating how the republicans are still supporting the Bush like candidates, ie: McCain and Huckabee. I think Romney, 9ui11ani, Paul, and Thompson are the fresh breath of air the party needs, but they continue to want the hard headed type and the "God elected me" type of candidates. I guess it just shows that the republicans still are fearful of change. Bush was terrible, and many republicans will admit that he was a bad president, but then they will go cast a vote for the third coming of a Bush in office. It just doesn't seem logical. McCain even lost to Bush in 2000 primaries, but they now think he has a chance. That just doesn't make much sense to me. That seems like the equivalent of saying that they just can't find a candidate better than bush to run against a Clinton or Obama.

McCain says there will be more wars:

source

Against whom, he doesn't say. So let's review:

* 100 years in Iraq, and more wars--when americans are weary of Iraq as it is;

* He admits that the economy is not his strong suit, in a race that will increasingly be about the economy.

If he faces Hillary, he will lose by a comfortable margin. If he faces Obama, he will be annihilated, in a landslide for the record books.

And what's that message? That white supremacists and conspiracy theorists can find a home together? :eusa_doh:

Yes jill. We're actually in the final stages of completing our genetically engineered DNA for our master race of psychologically paranoid redneck neo nazi's.

All we're waiting for now, is the inauguration of RP, and we will FINALLY get what we've been plotting for over the last 50+ years! :evil:

Your numbers are overstated. Only about 4% of the primary vote is going to Paul. That means the GOP loses that percentage IF, and only if, Paul supporters would rather waste their votes than win the presidency. You might be right that they'll do so.

You keep talking about "eventually" and "extra attention". Super Tuesday is next week and nothing's changed since the beginning. You guys thought that he would get up and speak and everyone would suddenly decide they were as enamoured of him as you.

Thing is, he's really not that impressive. He's not an impressive speaker. He comes off weird and uncomfortable in debates. He wasn't ever going to really catch on.

He could be a spoiler, though.

Your numbers are completely UNDERSTATED. If you only listen to the mainstream media, Ron Paul doesn't have a chance. But if you would ever take the time to actually inform yourself completely on a subject, using alternative news organizations and international news, you wouldn't be spewing your toxic mainstream propaganda all over this board. It stinks, and I think you should clean it off the floor.

Your numbers are completely UNDERSTATED. If you only listen to the mainstream media, Ron Paul doesn't have a chance. But if you would ever take the time to actually inform yourself completely on a subject, using alternative news organizations and international news, you wouldn't be spewing your toxic mainstream propaganda all over this board. It stinks, and I think you should clean it off the floor.

No, you're right, of course. Paul is winning all the republican primaries. He really has a shot at the presidency. He's not a fringe candidate with fringe supporters among white supremacists and conspiracy theorists....

nah... those must be figments of the imaginations of the media.

oh yeah, and I should source by going to fringe bloggers and conspiracy sites.

Yep... gonna go do that right now. :rolleyes:

No, you're right, of course. Paul is winning all the republican primaries. He really has a shot at the presidency. He's not a fringe candidate with fringe supporters among white supremacists and conspiracy theorists....

nah... those must be figments of the imaginations of the media.

oh yeah, and I should source by going to fringe bloggers and conspiracy sites.

Yep... gonna go do that right now. :rolleyes:

The vast majority of RP's supporters AREN'T white supremacists and conspiracy theorists... your ability to spin the facts continues to amaze me, are you competing with O'Reilly?

How DO you explain his fund raising record? All private donations, no corporate sponsors (unlike EVERY other candidate). I guess you must think there's quite a few white supremacists.

There were 11 Republican candidates, now there's 3. Hm... I DONT think "fringe candidate" applies anymore.

Please, unite all Republicans and Independents! Think, Social Security and Medicare will go bankrupt without some kind of intervention. What do we do? Hillary and Obama sugguest, lets give everyone universal healthcare. Smart right? Come on, democrats fix the social programs you already have in place. How are the democrats going to fund their new healthcare program? Taxes on the rich AKA the middle class. Why should working Americans be paying for people who don't work? This is typical democrat class-warfare. I challenge any democrat to name any monumental laws that Obama or Clinton has sponsored in the Senate? Your taxes (working Americans) are going to go up with a democrat in office, whereas your taxes will stay the same or be less under a MCcain admistration. Under the current Republican administeration there hasn't been a terror attack against innocent Americans in about 7 years. The democrat canidates have done nothing but rail about how Bush hasn't made America safer. That is a flat out Lie. The stakes have never been higher, Vote Republican!!

Please, unite all Republicans and Independents! Think, Social Security and Medicare will go bankrupt without some kind of intervention. What do we do? Hillary and Obama sugguest, lets give everyone universal healthcare. Smart right? Come on, democrats fix the social programs you already have in place. How are the democrats going to fund their new healthcare program? Taxes on the rich AKA the middle class. Why should working Americans be paying for people who don't work? This is typical democrat class-warfare. I challenge any democrat to name any monumental laws that Obama or Clinton has sponsored in the Senate? Your taxes (working Americans) are going to go up with a democrat in office, whereas your taxes will stay the same or be less under a MCcain admistration. Under the current Republican administeration there hasn't been a terror attack against innocent Americans in about 7 years. The democrat canidates have done nothing but rail about how Bush hasn't made America safer. That is a flat out Lie. The stakes have never been higher, Vote Republican!!

How does McCain propose to pay for the war in Iraq and probably soon Iran? Any ideas?

How does McCain propose to pay for the war in Iraq and probably soon Iran? Any ideas?

"Every thing that is right or natural pleads for separation. The blood of the slain, the weeping voice of nature cries, 'tis time to part."

Thomas Paine

Helios,
I think the question should be is how can we as a country not pay for the war in Iraq? I believe that diplomatic pressure, which has been exhibited can change Iran's ambition toward a nuclear bomb. For example see the National Intelligence estimate on Iran. Is the war in Iraq expensive both in actual money and also in American solider's lives? Yes!!!!! But is it needed, again Yes! I would rather spend my hard earned taxes in a war to protect this country than spend my hard earned money funding another beauractic social program in Universial Healthcare.

"Every thing that is right or natural pleads for separation. The blood of the slain, the weeping voice of nature cries, 'tis time to part."

Thomas Paine

Helios,
I think the question should be is how can we as a country not pay for the war in Iraq? I believe that diplomatic pressure, which has been exhibited can change Iran's ambition toward a nuclear bomb. For example see the National Intelligence estimate on Iran. Is the war in Iraq expensive both in actual money and also in American solider's lives? Yes!!!!! But is it needed, again Yes! I would rather spend my hard earned taxes in a war to protect this country than spend my hard earned money funding another beauractic social program in Universial Healthcare.

I would rather just keep my fuckin money, rather than have it go towards a flawed system of healthcare or an unjustified war. How many times do you really need to be duped into supporting a war in the middle east? The Iraq fiasco wasn't enough for you? Syria, Pakistan and North Korea also have ambitions toward nuclear weapons, should we invade all of them too? Wake up, buddy, we are spending a trillion a year on maintaining the American military abroad, and we owe trillions to Japan and China. What do you need to realize another war ISNT IN THE BUDGET. It's not a matter of what you want your tax dollars to go to. THE MONEY ISNT THERE. I dare you to try to show me where this mystery fund for the Iran war is going to come from. Please, go ahead. I'll wait.

I think I made it clear from my last post that diplomatic pressure in Iran is working, IE...NIE?? Question do you remember 9-11, do you remember how pissed you were? Do you remember what the economy did as a result of 9-11? The question I pose is this if there was another 9-11 what would happen to the national deficit? Take the loss of innocent life out of the subject. I'll tell you how to pay for the war in Iraq, you cut the low income housing, welfare, and other deficit draining maggots out of the budget.

I think I made it clear from my last post that diplomatic pressure in Iran is working, IE...NIE?? Question do you remember 9-11, do you remember how pissed you were? Do you remember what the economy did as a result of 9-11? The question I pose is this if there was another 9-11 what would happen to the national deficit? Take the loss of innocent life out of the subject. I'll tell you how to pay for the war in Iraq, you cut the low income housing, welfare, and other deficit draining maggots out of the budget.

I'm willing to bet money that McCain would go to war in Iran, were he elected president. Too bad I could never win that bet, because McCain could never win presidency. Hillary could beat him, and Obama could beat him. Sorry, republicans, if you nominate Cain you've lost already... I'm beginning to wonder if the republicans even WANT to win.. maybe they're letting the democrats have a turn at fucking everything up.

About 9/11. HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE ECONOMY. That's pure propagandist drivel, and you would do well to do away with it.

[ ORIGINALLY APPEARED IN HOUSTON CHRONICLE ON SEPTEMBER 11, 2003 ]

Don't Blame the Economy on 9/11

By Lee Price

The notion that a large part of our current economic woes is attributable to the attacks and aftermath of September 11 has become almost an article of faith for many policy makers and commentators. It's been repeated so often, rarely questioned, that it has begun to feel like established fact. The sky is blue, and the attacks of 9/11 sent our economy into a tailspin that we are still struggling to pull out of. Reasonable people can argue about whether the sky is really blue. But it?s hard to find an economic indicator that supports the notion that today?s economic troubles can be properly explained as the backwash from 9/11. That claim simply does not withstand close scrutiny. While pockets of the U.S. economy remain worse off as a result of 9/11, the net effect on total GDP today is negligible and may well be positive.

http://www.epi.org/printer.cfm?id=1511&content_type=1&nice_name=webfeatures_viewpoints_9_11_economy

I totally agree with you about cutting welfare and low income housing, by the way. But imagine if we took the money we saved from that, and DIDN'T spend it on a war. *Gasp* we could even eventually repay our multi-trillion dollar deficit. Once again, you say you want to cut social programs to fund the war, but we are already in DEBT. What's your plan to pull the U.S. out of economic ruin?

Under the current Republican administeration there hasn't been a terror attack against innocent Americans in about 7 years. The democrat canidates have done nothing but rail about how Bush hasn't made America safer. That is a flat out Lie. The stakes have never been higher, Vote Republican!!

I'm amazed when I read this kind of ignorant statement.

There were 7 years between the two WTC bombings. Does that mean Bill Clinton kept us safe?

And the attack happened after Baby Bush became president, does that mean he didn't?

What ridiculousness.

Obama is going to crush McCain.

The debates are going to be a thing of beauty. And Obama has none of the negative baggage that Hillary has for McCain (or voters) to focus on.

Will be interesting to see who the VP is gonna be. Someone I work with suggested that since Obama seems to have some issues with Hispanic voters, that choosing Richardson might be a good idea. I don't know that I agree because, technically, the Hispanic voters really won't have anyone but Obama to go to (except for the South Beach cuban types because they are big on the repub "don't deal with Castro" thing).

I have it on good authority that the McCain campaign was/is hoping to run against Clinton and was more worried about Obama.

Forum List

Back