McCain GOP's Best Shot to Win Presidency

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Toro, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,002
    Latest poll.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120122372945915473.html?mod=Economy

2. Alucard

Alucard VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I would take all four of them before Hillary or Obama... Edwards is the only Democrat I could support... After him its a run of republicans...

I cant believe that trio (Hillary, Obama and Edwards) is the best we could do...

Its no wonder so many democrats are disgusted...

Moe, Larry or Curley... Thats our choices...

The Republicans deserve to win....Again... And us Demmies have our own leadership to blame... The democratic party is a mess...

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    The only one of the repubs who doesn't make me gag is McCain. He's a goner, though, if Paul runs as an indy. Plus, he has real temperment issues and is very likely to implode.

Any of the top three dems would be ok. Though Edwards would probably have the easiest shot at a win, I think. Not that he's going to have the chance.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,276
    I don't know, Toro...

McCain made himself look real bad the other night, when he showed everyone that he doesn't have a clue about economics. Paul asked him if he thought the President's Working Group on Financial Markets (Plunge Protection Team) ought to be a lot more transparent, or even kept around at all, and McCain bumbled, stumbled, fumbled, whatever you want to call it, trying to come up with a coherent answer. This, coupled with being asked earlier about recently saying he wished he "knew more about economics", and then denying it.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rJ1OB2iLxcY&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rJ1OB2iLxcY&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

He names many names of people who are PART of the PPT. And Then rambles on about NOTHING. Obviously he doesn't even know what the PPT is, and he totally dodged the question and tried to save face.

In times like these, don't you think we need a more economic-minded president?

5. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,276
    Jillian, the GOP altogether is a goner if Paul runs indy. You're talking anywhere from 6-15% of votes that are automatically not going to the GOP. Every Paul supporter on this planet is voting for RP, and RP only. The GOP can't afford to lose ANY % going into this election.

I don't think he will do it though. But we'll see I guess. I still see a shot at the nomination if it's brokered, but that's based on my own information about how I think the campaign is running their strategy.

I think we're going to eventually see a little extra attention given to Paul. He's a serious threat to the future of the current GOP status-quo. You can see it just by watching the other candidates take his positions and use them now, when they were just laughing (literally) at those same positions only a few months ago.

6. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,002
    Paul

I don't know who is on the PPT - with the exception of short-seller, Jim Chanos - and I work in the business. I don't think that matters a whole lot.

As for economic literacy, I'll say this about McCain, he isn't going around selling the fairy-tale so many of the GOP faithful want to hear about lower taxes balancing the budget. On that statement alone, he is miles ahead of the other candidates.

7. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    The conservative-turned-race realist writer Sam Francis once said that for the white race to survive, the Republican party would have to die.

Here's hoping for a quick death.

8. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    Your numbers are overstated. Only about 4% of the primary vote is going to Paul. That means the GOP loses that percentage IF, and only if, Paul supporters would rather waste their votes than win the presidency. You might be right that they'll do so.

You keep talking about "eventually" and "extra attention". Super Tuesday is next week and nothing's changed since the beginning. You guys thought that he would get up and speak and everyone would suddenly decide they were as enamoured of him as you.

Thing is, he's really not that impressive. He's not an impressive speaker. He comes off weird and uncomfortable in debates. He wasn't ever going to really catch on.

He could be a spoiler, though.

9. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,276
    Wow, you didn't put a whole lot of thought into that before you made your post.

Besides SC, Paul's been getting anywhere from 6-10%. 10% in Iowa, and he came in 2nd in NV in delegates and percentage (14%), and would have WON Louisiana if the LA GOP didn't change their caucus rules at the 11th hour to include new delegates that were never announced, and a coalition of 3 candidates didn't create their own "Pro-Life, Pro Family" slate at the last minute that didn't include any RP-commited delegates. He'll still be getting a handful of delegates there, and still has a possibility of taking them all.

He's also polling higher than 10% in a few other states, and since Fred dropped he could very well be getting a portion of his REAL CONSERVATIVE supporters. I've seen their chatter lately...many are talking about moving to RP. I said up to 15% in the other post, because his support is growing continually, and there's still a lot of time. It could go HIGHER, I was only being conservative. Paul's in this until the end, no matter which way he chooses to go. The supporters will keep him financed to be able to do that.

And besides, you're talking about only primaries. I'm talking about the General, when the other 70% of the population actually gets off their ass to cast a vote.

YOUR personal opinion of his performance in debates doesn't really mean anything jillian.

And tell me how we'd be "wasting" our vote, by voting for the only man we feel is REALLY a Republican? We're tired of watching the GOP turn into liberal-lite. We want the party back to what it's SUPPOSED to be. Paul supporters don;t vote for "the winner", we vote our heart. If more Americans did that, the country wouldn't be in shambles right now.

You vote for the lesser of evils, and you deserve the evil you DO get.

10. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,276
    Yeah, but you're not running for president. McCain named off people that were ON the PPT, while obviously not even knowing they WERE. The PPT is also pretty silent, and a bit secretive. You probably WOULDN'T know much about them. But McCain ought to, if he's going to be president of the US, and "his friends" and advisors are on the team. I'm sure he knows EXACTLY how to answer that question NOW though.

He said not too long ago that he wished he knew more about economics, and then when confronted with that at the debate by the moderator, he apparently forgot all about saying that, and instead insisted he was well-versed in econ.