McCain GOP's Best Shot to Win Presidency

Toro

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2005
Surfing the Oceans of Liquidity
Latest poll.

In the latest Wall Street Journal/NBC poll, 37% of respondents said Mr. McCain has the best chance to win in November against the Democrats. Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney was far back in second, with 16%, followed closely by former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani at 15% and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee at 12%. Those results are mirrored in other polls.

As for his would-be successors, the Republican candidates remaining in the race have dropped further behind in hypothetical matchups against potential Democratic standard-bearers Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama. The exception is Arizona Sen. John McCain, who has revived his still-fragile candidacy and takes the lead in the contest for the Republican nomination for the first time in the poll. New York Sen. Clinton remains ahead on the Democratic side, though Sen. Obama has cut into her once-formidable edge. Mr. McCain runs even with both of them in hypothetical November matchups.

...More than ever, Americans condemn Mr. Bush's economic stewardship, and don't look to the lame-duck president or his party for remedies. On handling the economy, the president has the lowest mark of his seven years in office, with only 29% of those polled approving -- a five-point decline from last month's poll -- and 64% disapproving.

Congress's standing with Americans remains at a near-record low, with 18% of those polled approving of its job performance. Yet 62% want Congress instead of the president to have the lead in setting national policy. That is a five-point increase from a year ago, when Democrats first took control of the House and Senate after regaining majorities in the 2006 election. Just 21% said Mr. Bush should take the lead. Even Republicans' support is underwhelming: They pick Mr. Bush over Congress by just 44% to 36%.

NA-AP205_ELECTA_20080124234415.gif

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120122372945915473.html?mod=Economy

I would take all four of them before Hillary or Obama... Edwards is the only Democrat I could support... After him its a run of republicans...

I cant believe that trio (Hillary, Obama and Edwards) is the best we could do...

Its no wonder so many democrats are disgusted...

Moe, Larry or Curley... Thats our choices...

The Republicans deserve to win....Again... And us Demmies have our own leadership to blame... The democratic party is a mess...

I don't know, Toro...

McCain made himself look real bad the other night, when he showed everyone that he doesn't have a clue about economics. Paul asked him if he thought the President's Working Group on Financial Markets (Plunge Protection Team) ought to be a lot more transparent, or even kept around at all, and McCain bumbled, stumbled, fumbled, whatever you want to call it, trying to come up with a coherent answer. This, coupled with being asked earlier about recently saying he wished he "knew more about economics", and then denying it.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rJ1OB2iLxcY&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rJ1OB2iLxcY&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

He names many names of people who are PART of the PPT. And Then rambles on about NOTHING. Obviously he doesn't even know what the PPT is, and he totally dodged the question and tried to save face.

In times like these, don't you think we need a more economic-minded president?

The only one of the repubs who doesn't make me gag is McCain. He's a goner, though, if Paul runs as an indy.

Jillian, the GOP altogether is a goner if Paul runs indy. You're talking anywhere from 6-15% of votes that are automatically not going to the GOP. Every Paul supporter on this planet is voting for RP, and RP only. The GOP can't afford to lose ANY % going into this election.

I don't think he will do it though. But we'll see I guess. I still see a shot at the nomination if it's brokered, but that's based on my own information about how I think the campaign is running their strategy.

I think we're going to eventually see a little extra attention given to Paul. He's a serious threat to the future of the current GOP status-quo. You can see it just by watching the other candidates take his positions and use them now, when they were just laughing (literally) at those same positions only a few months ago.

Paul

I don't know who is on the PPT - with the exception of short-seller, Jim Chanos - and I work in the business. I don't think that matters a whole lot.

As for economic literacy, I'll say this about McCain, he isn't going around selling the fairy-tale so many of the GOP faithful want to hear about lower taxes balancing the budget. On that statement alone, he is miles ahead of the other candidates.

Jillian, the GOP altogether is a goner if Paul runs indy. You're talking anywhere from 6-15% of votes that are automatically not going to the GOP. Every Paul supporter on this planet is voting for RP, and RP only. The GOP can't afford to lose ANY % going into this election.

I don't think he will do it though. But we'll see I guess. I still see a shot at the nomination if it's brokered, but that's based on my own information about how I think the campaign is running their strategy.

I think we're going to eventually see a little extra attention given to Paul. He's a serious threat to the future of the current GOP status-quo. You can see it just by watching the other candidates take his positions and use them now, when they were just laughing (literally) at those same positions only a few months ago.

Your numbers are overstated. Only about 4% of the primary vote is going to Paul. That means the GOP loses that percentage IF, and only if, Paul supporters would rather waste their votes than win the presidency. You might be right that they'll do so.

You keep talking about "eventually" and "extra attention". Super Tuesday is next week and nothing's changed since the beginning. You guys thought that he would get up and speak and everyone would suddenly decide they were as enamoured of him as you.

Thing is, he's really not that impressive. He's not an impressive speaker. He comes off weird and uncomfortable in debates. He wasn't ever going to really catch on.

He could be a spoiler, though.

Your numbers are overstated. Only about 4&#37; of the primary vote is going to Paul. That means the GOP loses that percentage IF, and only if, Paul supporters would rather waste their votes than win the presidency. You might be right that they'll do so.

You keep talking about "eventually" and "extra attention". Super Tuesday is next week and nothing's changed since the beginning. You guys thought that he would get up and speak and everyone would suddenly decide they were as enamoured of him as you.

Thing is, he's really not that impressive. He's not an impressive speaker. He comes off weird and uncomfortable in debates. He wasn't ever going to really catch on.

He could be a spoiler, though.

Wow, you didn't put a whole lot of thought into that before you made your post.

Besides SC, Paul's been getting anywhere from 6-10%. 10% in Iowa, and he came in 2nd in NV in delegates and percentage (14%), and would have WON Louisiana if the LA GOP didn't change their caucus rules at the 11th hour to include new delegates that were never announced, and a coalition of 3 candidates didn't create their own "Pro-Life, Pro Family" slate at the last minute that didn't include any RP-commited delegates. He'll still be getting a handful of delegates there, and still has a possibility of taking them all.

He's also polling higher than 10% in a few other states, and since Fred dropped he could very well be getting a portion of his REAL CONSERVATIVE supporters. I've seen their chatter lately...many are talking about moving to RP. I said up to 15% in the other post, because his support is growing continually, and there's still a lot of time. It could go HIGHER, I was only being conservative. Paul's in this until the end, no matter which way he chooses to go. The supporters will keep him financed to be able to do that.

And besides, you're talking about only primaries. I'm talking about the General, when the other 70% of the population actually gets off their ass to cast a vote.

YOUR personal opinion of his performance in debates doesn't really mean anything jillian.

And tell me how we'd be "wasting" our vote, by voting for the only man we feel is REALLY a Republican? We're tired of watching the GOP turn into liberal-lite. We want the party back to what it's SUPPOSED to be. Paul supporters don;t vote for "the winner", we vote our heart. If more Americans did that, the country wouldn't be in shambles right now.

You vote for the lesser of evils, and you deserve the evil you DO get.

Paul

I don't know who is on the PPT - with the exception of short-seller, Jim Chanos - and I work in the business. I don't think that matters a whole lot.

Yeah, but you're not running for president. McCain named off people that were ON the PPT, while obviously not even knowing they WERE. The PPT is also pretty silent, and a bit secretive. You probably WOULDN'T know much about them. But McCain ought to, if he's going to be president of the US, and "his friends" and advisors are on the team. I'm sure he knows EXACTLY how to answer that question NOW though.

He said not too long ago that he wished he knew more about economics, and then when confronted with that at the debate by the moderator, he apparently forgot all about saying that, and instead insisted he was well-versed in econ.

The only one of the repubs who doesn't make me gag is McCain. He's a goner, though, if Paul runs as an indy. Plus, he has real temperment issues and is very likely to implode.

Any of the top three dems would be ok. Though Edwards would probably have the easiest shot at a win, I think. Not that he's going to have the chance.

The Neocons have to let it go an realize that McCain is moderate enough to give either of the two Demos a challenge. But I just don't see them letting it go. They will hold on to the belief that another ultr-conservative can win. bush is leaving the country in shambles. Another ultra is not in the cards.

The Neocons have to let it go an realize that McCain is moderate enough to give either of the two Demos a challenge. But I just don't see them letting it go. They will hold on to the belief that another ultr-conservative can win. bush is leaving the country in shambles. Another ultra is not in the cards.

Could you please enlighten us on exactly who in the Republican field is a conservative, much less "ultra"?

Wow, you didn't put a whole lot of thought into that before you made your post.

Besides SC, Paul's been getting anywhere from 6-10%. 10% in Iowa, and he came in 2nd in NV in delegates and percentage (14%), and would have WON Louisiana if the LA GOP didn't change their caucus rules at the 11th hour to include new delegates that were never announced, and a coalition of 3 candidates didn't create their own "Pro-Life, Pro Family" slate at the last minute that didn't include any RP-commited delegates. He'll still be getting a handful of delegates there, and still has a possibility of taking them all.

He's also polling higher than 10% in a few other states, and since Fred dropped he could very well be getting a portion of his REAL CONSERVATIVE supporters. I've seen their chatter lately...many are talking about moving to RP. I said up to 15% in the other post, because his support is growing continually, and there's still a lot of time. It could go HIGHER, I was only being conservative. Paul's in this until the end, no matter which way he chooses to go. The supporters will keep him financed to be able to do that.

And besides, you're talking about only primaries. I'm talking about the General, when the other 70% of the population actually gets off their ass to cast a vote.

YOUR personal opinion of his performance in debates doesn't really mean anything jillian.

And tell me how we'd be "wasting" our vote, by voting for the only man we feel is REALLY a Republican? We're tired of watching the GOP turn into liberal-lite. We want the party back to what it's SUPPOSED to be. Paul supporters don;t vote for "the winner", we vote our heart. If more Americans did that, the country wouldn't be in shambles right now.

You vote for the lesser of evils, and you deserve the evil you DO get.

Actually, I've put plenty of thought into mine. And I don't buy your pov. But if you want to keep supporting him, as I've said, it's your right.

And I figure my perspective on how he did at the debate is as valid as your blogger who referred to him as "Dr. Paul". You're wasting your vote the same way I would have been if I voted for Joe Biden. He couldn't win and it takes the vote from the person who has a chance to win. Real easy.

And Paul isn't a "true Republican" at all. He's a libertarian, which is fine, but it's what he is. And, frankly, you can like that or not, or wish for the Repubs to be different than they are... but he is... and they aren't.

McCain has been disliked by the "conservatives" of the GOP since even before bush and Rove soiled his name in bush's first WH run. You may be correct about no one now in the race that makes the Neos happy but they are still hoping Huck or Romney can shake the doubts to stand as the right wingers of the field.

No one in the GOP that stands as a Neocon is happy with the field. Thompson was as close as they could find and he is gone. Honestly, even if McCain becomes the GOP nominee, anyone of the top three Dems will beat him in the fall. The bush legacy lives on.

Actually, I've put plenty of thought into mine. And I don't buy your pov. But if you want to keep supporting him, as I've said, it's your right.

And I figure my perspective on how he did at the debate is as valid as your blogger who referred to him as "Dr. Paul". You're wasting your vote the same way I would have been if I voted for Joe Biden. He couldn't win and it takes the vote from the person who has a chance to win. Real easy.

And Paul isn't a "true Republican" at all. He's a libertarian, which is fine, but it's what he is. And, frankly, you can like that or not, or wish for the Repubs to be different than they are... but he is... and they aren't.

They've only been as bad as they are now since Bush 43. Before that, they at least still lived up to their conservative principles.

Bush and Rove have destroyed the Republican party. You should know that already, being as how much you claim to know and hate about them.

Ron Paul is toast. The sooner you realize that the less the pain when it becomes clearly obvious.

Ron Paul is toast. The sooner you realize that the less the pain when it becomes clearly obvious.

RP will be dead and gone my friend, and his message will continue to flow, and we will continue to spread it. The dam has been broken.

RP only serves to put a face to the message. It's not about the MAN, and it never was.

RP will be dead and gone my friend, and his message will continue to flow, and we will continue to spread it. The dam has been broken.

RP only serves to put a face to the message. It's not about the MAN, and it never was.

And what's that message? That white supremacists and conspiracy theorists can find a home together? :eusa_doh:

I would take all four of them before Hillary or Obama... Edwards is the only Democrat I could support... After him its a run of republicans...

I cant believe that trio (Hillary, Obama and Edwards) is the best we could do...

Its no wonder so many democrats are disgusted...

Moe, Larry or Curley... Thats our choices...

The Republicans deserve to win....Again... And us Demmies have our own leadership to blame... The democratic party is a mess...

Are you slow?

Democrats are showing up in record numbers at every primary to vote. Obama has rejuvenated American politics. After Bush-Clinton-Bush for two decades, Democrats are saying it's time for another JFK in office, and that's what's happening.

The republicans are the ones that should be ashamed of their candidates.

Huckabee-crazy religious zealot
Romney-Mormon, Christians aren't going to vote for someone of another religion
McCain-says it's okay to have troops in Iraq for a century. Are you fucking kidding me?
9ui11iani-as liberal as Pelosi
Paul-only supporters are college kids who don't vote anyways

I still think Hillary wins it this time around. Obama's turn is in 8 years, IMO. Though I could be wrong. Depends on Florida and Super Tuesday. And it is amazing to see Dems come out to vote in record numbers.

You're correct on the Repub candidates, though. But isn't it pathetic that they won't vote for Romney because he's Mormon? I mean, there's a lot you can disagree with him about. But they're going to find that with the right imposing it's own little religious test, they're going to get worse and worse candidates.

Giuliani is no liberal. He's just good on social issues. He's out, though. I think he miscalculated by putting all his eggs in the Florida basket. Allowed McCain to get the mo...

Forum List

Back