McCain Doesn't Support Veteran Educational Benefits

Discussion in 'Politics' started by rayboyusmc, May 30, 2008.

1. rayboyusmc

rayboyusmc Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +338
    McCain is using the study which states that if we pass the bill that will give the Iraq and Afghanistan vets four years of college, then retention will drop 16 percent.

The same study says the this incentive will raise recruitement 16%. So end strength is not harmed, but our troops are taken care of like after WW II.

I love all those on the right or left who say they support the troops as long as they are in combat but fuck them when they come back.

Wait, he does wear a flag pin. Must be a patriot.:badgrin:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. maneal

maneal Conservative Commentator

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Please provide the substance of the study would you? I would be interested to see where it is located...

3. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,977
    A link to a source would be nice too. Or is this, "we all know it where I live"?

As for college I support help with college, but not a free ride. I personally was under the program where I donated a dollar and they matched it with 2. But knowing I wasn't gonna get out and go to school I withdrew even from that.

If they qualify under VA they get college also. I was in that program for a little over a year until I got to sick to continue. Would have gotten me a 4 year degree in computer sciences.

4. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,300
    When you marry high up the food chain there's no need to worry about others. McSame is a republican and as such his only allegiance is to himself and his corporate buddies.

Matthew Yglesias (May 25, 2008) - McCain and Veterans (Foreign Policy)

McCain and Veterans 25 May 2008 09:44 am

"It's worth noting that not only did John McCain oppose Jim Webb's bill expanding educational benefits for veterans, but he has a long track record of fairly stingy behavior on veterans' issues. As Hilzoy puts it "McCain has supported basic appropriations for vets. However, when there are two competing proposals, he generally chooses the cheaper one, and often, when only one proposal to increase benefits is available, he opposes it." "

The GI Bill helped us as struggling newlyweds living week to week get an education. And the taxes I pay now should help others in the same position.

5. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,432
    We already know that McCain isn't great on taking care of the vets. And we know he avoided voting on the last veteran's spending bill.

But I'd be interested in seeing a link to his reliance on that "study", too.

BTW, his name's McCain.

6. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Bad Mother****er

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +503
    I'm undecided and will most likely vote Obama but just to be fair.

McCain did not support Webb's bill because he hates the troops. McCain is co-sponsoring a different Educational Incentives Bill for the Soldiers and is currently in the process of getting support from other members of Congress.
    United States Senator - Richard Burr

Last edited: May 31, 2008
  7. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Threads like this are partisan jokes. There's only been one thing for sure based on my observation.

No matter which party is in control of Congress nor which party the President belongs to, active duty military benefits are inadequate at the troop level and veteran's benefits just keep on eroding.

It's not Bush ... it wasn't Clinton ... it wasn't Reagan .... Carter didn't even know he had a military .... it's the government machine and when it's time to cut Federal spending the military always takes it in the shorts, one way or the other.

8. Zoomie1980

Zoomie1980 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +128
    The problem is you raise incentives to get out, even though you offset that by recruits eager to get the benifits, you end up with no experienced NCO corps because no one want to re-up, as it's simply too good a deal to get out.

9. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Bad Mother****er

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +503
    Untrue. The reason why MGIB goes up every year is because only half of the Soldiers who leave service ever use it. They could double the MGIB and it wouldn't decrease the numbers that much. The main reason why many Soldiers are leaving the military is because they either don't want to spend 15 months in a shithole, they got a better job offer elsewhere, or they are med boarded out. MGIB has little impact on the decision to leave the military and increasing it won't make that much of a difference either.

10. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,977
    Then why Increase it? If it is unimportant and ineffective, get rid of it. We have an all volunteer military. If the incentives to join and stay are not good enough we would have a lot more problems then we currently do. If the incentives to leave increase then we WILL have more problems.

Any GI Bill should apply to anyone that stays in also, and should cover them if they stay to retirement. And again it should not be a free ride. The only college that is like that requires a commitment for x number of years in the military AFTER getting the education.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1