McCain: "Dictators Start By Suppressing Media"

McCain On Trump Declaring The Media An Enemy: "That's How Dictators Get Started"

Republican Senator Arizona Senator told NBC News in a clip released Saturday (above) that President Donald Trump's most recent attack on the media is an example of "how dictators get started."

Chuck Todd, host of "Meet the Press," asked McCain about Trump's tweet Friday, in which the president declared that the media is "the enemy of the American people."

"If you want to preserve Democracy as we know it, you have to have a free and many times adversarial press, and without it I'm afraid we would lose so much of our individual liberties over time. That's how dictators get started," McCain responded.

"They get started by suppressing a free press," he added. "In other words, a consolidation of power, when you look at history, the first thing that dictators do, is shut down the press. I'm not saying that President Trump is trying to be a dictator. I'm just saying we need to learn the lessons of history."

McCain On Trump Declaring The Media An Enemy: "That's How Dictators Get Started"

Amen, John! The problem is - Trump doesn't know anything about history. He may not even know how Hitler started. It's scary...
Long before trump came along I have felt the media was the enemy...have to admit that it feels good to hear someone else saying it...keep tweeting trump

Republican Senator Arizona Senator told NBC News in a clip released Saturday (above) that President Donald Trump's most recent attack on the media is an example of "how dictators get started."

Chuck Todd, host of "Meet the Press," asked McCain about Trump's tweet Friday, in which the president declared that the media is "the enemy of the American people."

"If you want to preserve Democracy as we know it, you have to have a free and many times adversarial press, and without it I'm afraid we would lose so much of our individual liberties over time. That's how dictators get started," McCain responded.

"They get started by suppressing a free press," he added. "In other words, a consolidation of power, when you look at history, the first thing that dictators do, is shut down the press. I'm not saying that President Trump is trying to be a dictator. I'm just saying we need to learn the lessons of history."

Amen, John! The problem is - Trump doesn't know anything about history. He may not even know how Hitler started. It's scary...
Long before trump came along I have felt the media was the enemy...have to admit that it feels good to hear someone else saying it...keep tweeting trump
Whose enemy? It certainly isn't the enemy of our palpitating masses. Without the free press there would be no democracy. It is the fourth estate of democracy.

Whose enemy? It certainly isn't the enemy of our palpitating masses. Without the free press there would be no democracy. It is the fourth estate of democracy.

and as a free press it is free to lie at will, and without government sanction, to pretend my objections or anyone elses are a threat to democracy, no matter how true or untrue they may be, are the ones who are a threat to democracy, the media is a left wing watch and attack dog group for the liberals, and they will tell any lie to protect them...that claim is an exercise in democracy that you pretend extends to only the media, and anyone who does not believe that people have that right is an enemy of the people.

and as a free press it is free to lie at will, and without government sanction, to pretend my objections or anyone elses are a threat to democracy, no matter how true or untrue they may be, are the ones who are a threat to democracy, the media is a left wing watch and attack dog group for the liberals, and they will tell any lie to protect them...that claim is an exercise in democracy that you pretend extends to only the media, and anyone who does not believe that people have that right is an enemy of the people.

I guess you don't know how things work. When I think of the press I am envisioning the Associated Press The big city newspapers and television stations and the national news powerhouses at CBS, MSNBC, ABC and, I say this reluctantly, FOX NEWS. Rush Limbaugh, Savage and Levine dominate the terrestrial radio airwaves and they are all staunch konservatives. There is a mix of news media outlets that are so diverse that everyone can find a favorite place to gather their news..
My question to you is this: What is your favorite news source? Then tell me why you think your news source is more credible than any of those I mentioned above.
For you to say what you did about the press lying, you have some personal basis to determine when a news outlet is lying about something!

I guess you don't know how things work. When I think of the press I am envisioning the Associated Press The big city newspapers and television stations and the national news powerhouses at CBS, MSNBC, ABC and, I say this reluctantly, FOX NEWS. Rush Limbaugh, Savage and Levine dominate the terrestrial radio airwaves and they are all staunch konservatives. There is a mix of news media outlets that are so diverse that everyone can find a favorite place to gather their news..
My question to you is this: What is your favorite news source? Then tell me why you think your news source is more credible than any of those I mentioned above.
For you to say what you did about the press lying, you have some personal basis to determine when a news outlet is lying about something!
I watch MSNBC the most, I would say about 3/4 of my TV news comes from it and why would you do what the media does, pretend and then project what I think, that it [MSNBC] is more credible than any news source, let me make this clear, it is not, O'Reilly is really the only other TV news medium I watch. I never listen to radio news, .I haven't listened to Rush since the 80's, have never listened to Savage and have no clue who Levine is, and my print/electronic media is mother jones and slate mag with the occasional "guardian" article thrown in, does that help you determine my bias? [bet that doesn't get answered honestly] because it really should help you understand how I know the media is lying, really it should...now you tell me yours and we can determine if your believing that the media is not lying has anything to do with what you wish to be the truth...the media is the enemy...and I have felt this way since there was only ABC, NBC and CBS, just for different reasons than today...got a better picture now? or are all the PC defense mechanisms kicking in to prevent you from seeing it.

I watch MSNBC the most, I would say about 3/4 of my TV news comes from it and why would you do what the media does, pretend and then project what I think, that it [MSNBC] is more credible than any news source, let me make this clear, it is not, O'Reilly is really the only other TV news medium I watch. I never listen to radio news, .I haven't listened to Rush since the 80's, have never listened to Savage and have no clue who Levine is, and my print/electronic media is mother jones and slate mag with the occasional "guardian" article thrown in, does that help you determine my bias? [bet that doesn't get answered honestly] because it really should help you understand how I know the media is lying, really it should...now you tell me yours and we can determine if your believing that the media is not lying has anything to do with what you wish to be the truth...the media is the enemy...and I have felt this way since there was only ABC, NBC and CBS, just for different reasons than today...got a better picture now? or are all the PC defense mechanisms kicking in to prevent you from seeing it.
I too, review an assortment of area newspapers each day, Once a week I peruse USA Today and the WSJ down at the local library where I also take a gander at Times magazine and other periodicals. At home, MSNBC, CNN and MSNBC are viewed as needed to make a comparative analysis between them and Fox. After a while I got a sense of which news anchors were credible and which were always trying to put their personal spin on the news. Tops in my book for credible broadcasting is Laurence O'Donnell and Rachel Maddow @MSNBC while Don Lemmon, Wolf Blitzer and Anderson Cooper are the real deal over at CNN. On the radio, the Black Eagle, Joe Madison, a news analyst who puts the news where "the goats can get it "on Urban View Sirius XM, my man doesn't play..and neither does his female counterpart, Karen Hunter.
So, even thoughI have faith in the credibility of a number of individual news casters, I do fact check them on issues I think are too important to view from one side.
I hope you have the same minimum standards.

This is why we must fight like hell to protect our freedom of speech and the media. Once it is gone then it is very hard to remove a strong man....

This is something to fight and die to stop.

Well...considering obama actually went after a reporter.......is that the guy he is talking about....since Trump hasn't supressed any press...but it is now known that obama went after the press and political groups using government agencies.....is that what he meant?

As a fellow Vietnam Era veteran please learn the difference between exposing the corrupt leftist media branch and suppressing the entire media John. Playing Politics with this issue does not become you; try being fully honest and forthcoming!

You are so full of shit your eyes are brown.

McCain should retire. He has dementia. He cannot recognize 'admonition' of the press for lying. He calls it suppression. Trump even said that he welcomes bad press....if it's true.

My respect for John McCain diminishes each day now. All this bullshit with comparisons between Trump and former dictators such as Hitler, Mussolini, Stalin, etc is just that....total fucking bullshit...meant to evoke recollections of truly evil people. Fuck John McCain. Fuck liberalism!
If we don't stop you populist bahs-turds now, we will end up just like Nazi Germany.
Apparently, you're just as stupid as is John McCain.

Dictators start by supressing the media. Very true.

The problem here with the asinine talking point though is that Trump has done exactly noting to suppress the media one iota. The Media is as free today as it has been over the last few decades.
But Trump is a liar and his lies have become the alt Right gospel. When he declares news he doesn't like fake news, regardless of how true it is, his faithful zombies
shake their heads up and down in unison, expressing unabashed agreement. That is horrifying... It is as if he has cast a spell over his loyal fans and can do no wrong in their eyes. He could be just pick a female Trump bot out of the crowd , pull down her panties , bend her over and hump her right n the middle of Madison Square Garden and his constituents wouldn't care. And she would probably be smiling the whole time and giving the onlookers a thumbs up.
So they are just like the partisan hacks that have been rooting for their guy since the beginning of politics. Obama has the same sycophantic followers. The only real difference now is that Trump is a lot more crass.

Obama wasn't a populist that appealed primarily to one segment of the US population like Trump does.Trump champions the angry White male .most of whom voted overwhelmingly against Obama in both of his successful elections.
That is the running talking point, yes. It is bullshit though. It is interesting that Trump through all the rhetoric manages to make gains on Romney with minorities. The continual denigration of anyone that supports Trump is not going to work if the democrats really want to make gains in 2018.

There is no bullshit in the statistics showing Trump got most of the White vote and it is no secret that his "birther" campaign earned hi a soft spot in the hearts and minds of RW White males. And yes, I hear that more Blacks and women jumped on the Trump train than they did on the Romney shuttle but that difference was based on chicanery. THe cagtalyst that put Trump over the top was voter suppression, the destruction of Hillary's campaign by the Russian hack squad, and the FBI's timely announcement on the eve of the election that more investigations of Hillary were imminent. That might have been enough to sway former Obama supporters to Trump’s side. Plus, the thousands of voters illegally disenfranchised by Cross Check also factored in Trump’s success!
And there is no bullshit in the statistics that Clinton gained more black votes than Trump did. I suppose that is because of the rabid racist black people supported her in droves right?

Of course not but you seem to think that you can declare as such because Trump gained a majority of the white vote. Then you continue declaring that his win is based on voter suppression. That is more bullshit that the left simply declares because they do not want to admit that they were outnamuvered in this last election by one of the worst canidates ever.

Trump did not gain ground with minority groups because of shenanigans - he did so because his messaging was superior to Clinton's and people are tired of the same old shit that is not working for them.
JQPublic1 said:
Although RW rhetoric declares falsely that Obama was the most divisive president in US history, the diversity of Obama's base contradicts that biased premise soundly.

FA_Q2 said:
No, it does not but then again the divisiveness that has been growing ios not one of skin color. It is more telling that seems to be all you base divisiveness on rather than what is dividing the country right now - ideology.

Obama was extremely divisive and the breakdown of our political system is proof positive of that fact.
JQPublic said:
hegemonic populism has already proved to be far more divisive along racial lines than Obama's "hope and change " platform ever was. Obama didn't have followers like Trump does. He had admirers who looked through all the negative propaganda and obstructionism launched against him by konservatives, the same clowns who nearly caused the US economy to crash. Still, Obama's presidency could not have survived if he had said the things Trump has or if he had staffed his cabinet with an all black cast.
FA_Q2 said:
Obama quite clearly did have followers like Trump. The difference here is that you seem to agree with them so it is suddenly just fine. You even identify yourself as one by saying things like konservatives, blaming the economic crash on a single side of the isle and "if he had staffed his cabinet with an all black cast" which makes no sense at all because it has nothing to do with Trumps cabinet picks.

FOLLOWERS:

The term "followers" is too ambiguous when using the term to describe people who voted for Obama. They voted for him twice but pulled the democrat political support base from under him after his first two years. What kind of followers would do that? They seemed to throw him to the wolves when they turned the keys to the bank over to the GOP tea party obstructionists. Trump, OTOH, has followers who have abandoned their pseudo-conservative values to become konservatives, As I mentoined earlier, Trump can say or do anything and his Trump-Bots don’t care.
They even looked the other way when he publicly defended Russia over America on the Bill O'rielly Show
Just like those that blindly supported Obama. His supporters, followers or whatever term you want to use did not 'pull the democrat political support base' from him. Those people represent a minority of the voter base - a small minority - just as the rabid Trump supporters that would vote for Trump if he shot a person in public are a small minority of the voter base. They gain a lot of attention because they are a very vocal segment and they make good headlines.

That minority rarely maintains a strong enough message and is able to maintain turnout when they are the ones in charge. Same thing happened under Bush and the same things is likely to happen under Trump. The only thing that may allow the republicans to continue to control the senate during Trump's mid terms is the terrible electorial map that the democrats have to deal with over the next election cycle. Even then, they are likely to lose control anyway.
Obama's presidential inheritance vs Trump's presidential inheritance:

AN economic disruption or crash that occurs in the last days or year of a departing president’s term is credited to him, not the incoming president. Bush’s tax cuts while starting to wars, all simultaneously, was huge in creating the economic crisis that followed..OBama left Trump with a healthy economy just as Clinton left Bush with one. i'll bet you a dozen doughnuts Trump will leave the economy in shambles too if he follows GOP strategies.

NOW THIS:
When you cite me don’t chop up my sentences and then claim I am not making sense. I said THIS:

"Still, Obama's presidency could not have survived if he had said the things Trump has or if he had staffed his cabinet with an all black cast.” And that statement was referring to the context of our original discussion comparing Trump’s divisiveness against Obama’s alleged divisiveness. Ben Carson is the lone Black person in Trump’s cabinet choices thus far and he is ill suited for the task, Several Cabinet picks, like Bannon and especially Jeff Sessions, have such sordid racial histories that, choosing either of them would be analogous to Obama choosing Louis Farrakhan and all the other Black political figures you hate so much!

Don't get stupid on me... I've had more than my share of encounters with RW sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity!
To bad. I respond to the points you make as you point them. I never misrepresented what you said and repeating it is pointless. Whatever you may think of Trumps picks, they are not uniformly of a single race. Don't try and claim I am getting 'stupid' on you when you made the idiotic association with race and the cabinet.

McCain should retire. He has dementia. He cannot recognize 'admonition' of the press for lying. He calls it suppression. Trump even said that he welcomes bad press....if it's true.

My respect for John McCain diminishes each day now. All this bullshit with comparisons between Trump and former dictators such as Hitler, Mussolini, Stalin, etc is just that....total fucking bullshit...meant to evoke recollections of truly evil people. Fuck John McCain. Fuck liberalism!
If we don't stop you populist bahs-turds now, we will end up just like Nazi Germany.

What'd McCain say that was "stupid"?

Do dick-taters NOT care about suppressing/controlling media then?

But Trump is a liar and his lies have become the alt Right gospel. When he declares news he doesn't like fake news, regardless of how true it is, his faithful zombies
shake their heads up and down in unison, expressing unabashed agreement. That is horrifying... It is as if he has cast a spell over his loyal fans and can do no wrong in their eyes. He could be just pick a female Trump bot out of the crowd , pull down her panties , bend her over and hump her right n the middle of Madison Square Garden and his constituents wouldn't care. And she would probably be smiling the whole time and giving the onlookers a thumbs up.
So they are just like the partisan hacks that have been rooting for their guy since the beginning of politics. Obama has the same sycophantic followers. The only real difference now is that Trump is a lot more crass.

Obama wasn't a populist that appealed primarily to one segment of the US population like Trump does.Trump champions the angry White male .most of whom voted overwhelmingly against Obama in both of his successful elections.
That is the running talking point, yes. It is bullshit though. It is interesting that Trump through all the rhetoric manages to make gains on Romney with minorities. The continual denigration of anyone that supports Trump is not going to work if the democrats really want to make gains in 2018.

There is no bullshit in the statistics showing Trump got most of the White vote and it is no secret that his "birther" campaign earned hi a soft spot in the hearts and minds of RW White males. And yes, I hear that more Blacks and women jumped on the Trump train than they did on the Romney shuttle but that difference was based on chicanery. THe cagtalyst that put Trump over the top was voter suppression, the destruction of Hillary's campaign by the Russian hack squad, and the FBI's timely announcement on the eve of the election that more investigations of Hillary were imminent. That might have been enough to sway former Obama supporters to Trump’s side. Plus, the thousands of voters illegally disenfranchised by Cross Check also factored in Trump’s success!
And there is no bullshit in the statistics that Clinton gained more black votes than Trump did. I suppose that is because of the rabid racist black people supported her in droves right?

Of course not but you seem to think that you can declare as such because Trump gained a majority of the white vote. Then you continue declaring that his win is based on voter suppression. That is more bullshit that the left simply declares because they do not want to admit that they were outnamuvered in this last election by one of the worst canidates ever.

Trump did not gain ground with minority groups because of shenanigans - he did so because his messaging was superior to Clinton's and people are tired of the same old shit that is not working for them.
JQPublic1 said:
Although RW rhetoric declares falsely that Obama was the most divisive president in US history, the diversity of Obama's base contradicts that biased premise soundly.

FA_Q2 said:
No, it does not but then again the divisiveness that has been growing ios not one of skin color. It is more telling that seems to be all you base divisiveness on rather than what is dividing the country right now - ideology.

Obama was extremely divisive and the breakdown of our political system is proof positive of that fact.
JQPublic said:
hegemonic populism has already proved to be far more divisive along racial lines than Obama's "hope and change " platform ever was. Obama didn't have followers like Trump does. He had admirers who looked through all the negative propaganda and obstructionism launched against him by konservatives, the same clowns who nearly caused the US economy to crash. Still, Obama's presidency could not have survived if he had said the things Trump has or if he had staffed his cabinet with an all black cast.
FA_Q2 said:
Obama quite clearly did have followers like Trump. The difference here is that you seem to agree with them so it is suddenly just fine. You even identify yourself as one by saying things like konservatives, blaming the economic crash on a single side of the isle and "if he had staffed his cabinet with an all black cast" which makes no sense at all because it has nothing to do with Trumps cabinet picks.

FOLLOWERS:

The term "followers" is too ambiguous when using the term to describe people who voted for Obama. They voted for him twice but pulled the democrat political support base from under him after his first two years. What kind of followers would do that? They seemed to throw him to the wolves when they turned the keys to the bank over to the GOP tea party obstructionists. Trump, OTOH, has followers who have abandoned their pseudo-conservative values to become konservatives, As I mentoined earlier, Trump can say or do anything and his Trump-Bots don’t care.
They even looked the other way when he publicly defended Russia over America on the Bill O'rielly Show
Just like those that blindly supported Obama. His supporters, followers or whatever term you want to use did not 'pull the democrat political support base' from him. Those people represent a minority of the voter base - a small minority - just as the rabid Trump supporters that would vote for Trump if he shot a person in public are a small minority of the voter base. They gain a lot of attention because they are a very vocal segment and they make good headlines.

That minority rarely maintains a strong enough message and is able to maintain turnout when they are the ones in charge. Same thing happened under Bush and the same things is likely to happen under Trump. The only thing that may allow the republicans to continue to control the senate during Trump's mid terms is the terrible electorial map that the democrats have to deal with over the next election cycle. Even then, they are likely to lose control anyway.
Obama's presidential inheritance vs Trump's presidential inheritance:

AN economic disruption or crash that occurs in the last days or year of a departing president’s term is credited to him, not the incoming president. Bush’s tax cuts while starting to wars, all simultaneously, was huge in creating the economic crisis that followed..OBama left Trump with a healthy economy just as Clinton left Bush with one. i'll bet you a dozen doughnuts Trump will leave the economy in shambles too if he follows GOP strategies.

NOW THIS:
When you cite me don’t chop up my sentences and then claim I am not making sense. I said THIS:

"Still, Obama's presidency could not have survived if he had said the things Trump has or if he had staffed his cabinet with an all black cast.” And that statement was referring to the context of our original discussion comparing Trump’s divisiveness against Obama’s alleged divisiveness. Ben Carson is the lone Black person in Trump’s cabinet choices thus far and he is ill suited for the task, Several Cabinet picks, like Bannon and especially Jeff Sessions, have such sordid racial histories that, choosing either of them would be analogous to Obama choosing Louis Farrakhan and all the other Black political figures you hate so much!

Don't get stupid on me... I've had more than my share of encounters with RW sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity!
To bad. I respond to the points you make as you point them. I never misrepresented what you said and repeating it is pointless. Whatever you may think of Trumps picks, they are not uniformly of a single race. Don't try and claim I am getting 'stupid' on you when you made the idiotic association with race and the cabinet.

Whoa. before this exchange can proceed we have to clear up your lies.

JQPublic said:

YOUR RESPONSE:

FA_Q2 said:

You are ignoring the first part of my statement (highlighted in red) by omitting that portion and jumping to the prepositional phrase " if he had staffed his cabinet with an all back cast." Why did you do that? There is no denying the hegemonic intent behind Trump's cabinet picks who are just as racist, prejudiced and bigoted as he is. Therefore when I proposed a parallel suggesting Obama's presidency would not have survived had he behaved like Trump or had he made cabinet picks consisting of inexperienced zealots who have public records of being just as hostile towards White people ad Trump's picks are hostile against Blacks and other minorities. That makes a lot of sense.
OK... lets see how you twist your lie this time...GO>>>>

Last edited:
who's suppressing the media? I'm sorry when did that start and by whom?

Thanks, I find that to be a compliment!

New Topics

Forum List

Back