McCain: Democrats' Stance on Iraq Flawed

Gunny

Gold Member
Dec 27, 2004
The Republic of Texas
Associated Press

KANSAS CITY, Mo. April 7, 2008, 10:21 pm ET · Republican presidential candidate John McCain said Monday that calls from his Democratic rivals to withdraw U.S. forces from Iraq stand as a "failure of leadership" as they are making promises they cannot keep.

Democrat Barack Obama said the failure rests with McCain's support for an open-ended occupation of Iraq.

Addressing the Veterans of Foreign Wars, McCain criticized Obama and Democratic Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton and insisted that last year's U.S. troop buildup in Iraq brought a glimmer of "something approaching normal" there, despite a recent outbreak of heavy fighting and a U.S. death toll that has surpassed 4,000.

Pulling out now would jeopardize recent gains, McCain said.

"I do not believe that anyone should make promises as a candidate for president that they cannot keep if elected," McCain told the crowd of about 130 people, mostly veterans.

"To promise a withdrawal of our forces from Iraq, regardless of the calamitous consequences to the Iraqi people, our most vital interests, and the future of the Middle East, is the height of irresponsibility," he said. "It is a failure of leadership."

more ... http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=17632076

I knew if he tried long enough McCain would come up with something I agree with.

I knew if he tried long enough McCain would come up with something I agree with.

Agreed. It's not easy to say you wish things were different when you know they can't be. Obama is way too over the top with this. If he wins, he'll have to deal with it. I think he's way too smart to withdraw the way his followers believe he will. Then there will be hell to pay.

Agreed. It's not easy to say you wish things were different when you know they can't be. Obama is way too over the top with this. If he wins, he'll have to deal with it. I think he's way too smart to withdraw the way his followers believe he will. Then there will be hell to pay.

I agree with McCain that it is the height of irresponsibility and a failure in leadership to arbitrarily withdraw our troops, and Hell to pay or no, some common sense needs to sink in.

After all was said and done, WHO paid the price politically for our failure in Vietnam? Democrats. If they want to repeat history, it isn't like they aren't used to being on the outside of the White House looking in.

Forum List

Back