McCain cheers gloomy Republicans

Gunny

Gold Member
Dec 27, 2004
The Republic of Texas
By Richard Lister
BBC News, Washington

A year ago Washington was full of morose Republicans.

They were watching President George W Bush's approval ratings scrape historic lows, the economy heading for the doldrums and continuing slaughter in Iraq - despite the surge of American troops.

The Republican Party seemed underwhelmed by its choice of presidential candidates and it was not hard to find party activists hunched over a beer and staring blankly into the middle distance, conceding that the Democrats seemed to have the White House wrapped up.

Republican White House hopeful John McCain in particular was struggling to hang in there.

Running third or fourth in the Republican race, he had shed campaign staff and was running on empty.

As 2008 dawned, the media buzz was all about the Democratic contenders Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton.

Even after Mr McCain bubbled up to the top of the Republican shortlist, the national fascination stayed with the historic Democratic contest.

When Mr Obama surged ahead, the news media went into overdrive and, according to the Campaign Coverage Index from the Pew Research Centre, there has been more coverage of him than Mr McCain in the US news media every month this year.

So, Mr Obama gets more press, has raised more money, has a broader donor base and draws far bigger crowds - game, set and match?

Anything but.

more ... BBC NEWS | Americas | McCain cheers gloomy Republicans

Interesting article. Funny thing is,in the very beginning I liked Obama. But after months of the endless "Obama" media worship, and BLATANT media prop ups helping him to win the primaryand now the general (unless something drastic happens at the convention), I started actually liking Hillary and McCain better (and I don't like them that much either). This quote makes since to me...

"Increasing numbers of those voters are also (again according to polls) saying they are bored with the relentless coverage of Mr Obama and would like to hear more about Mr McCain. "

If this dufas can't even pull way ahead with all of the Media adoration he gets,he is in for a rude awakening. Even FOX had a reporter on last night with his undies in a twist defending BO's choice for Biden as VP. Major Garrett read the riot act to Sheperd Smith when he (Shepard) thought it may have been a choice made because he had to,rather than he wanted to.

The Media is not helping him any longer...it's probably hurting him actually.

Last edited:
I wonder if Biden has made McCain re-think his VP choice. :D

Whoever it may be. :lol:

Possibly.

Since the narrative of "elitism" has been introduced into the campaign by republicans, and since the economy, gas prices, and housing is the number one issue now, voters may be sensitive to politicians who are percieved as being out of touch. That's what sunk Poppy Bush's campaign in 1992.

Now that the Dems have two dudes who are from working middle class backgrounds, both of whom are not millionaires, and have very modest wealth by Senate standards, if McCain picks Romney, the GOP will have two extremely rich multimillionaire dudes who can't remember how many houses they have, or how many cars they own.

Possibly.

Since the narrative of "elitism" has been introduced into the campaign by republicans, and since the economy, gas prices, and housing is the number one issue now, voters may be sensitive to politicians who are percieved as being out of touch. That's what sunk Poppy Bush's campaign in 1992.

Now that the Dems have two dudes who are from working middle class backgrounds, both of whom are not millionaires, and have very modest wealth by Senate standards, if McCain picks Romney, the GOP will have two extremely rich multimillionaire dudes who can't remember how many houses they have, or how many cars they own.

Two dudes from working middle class backgrounds? What color is YOUR sky? Both are professional politicans, pulling in 6 figures plus all the Congressional perks, who presume to think for and know what's best for everyone else, regardless the collective opinions of the people they are supposed to represent.

Obama has already made elitist statements, and he's dumber'n dirt on energy. If they swap positions, I would consider voting for Biden.

New Topics

Forum List

Back