McCain campaign limiting Palin's meeting the press

DavidS

Anti-Tea Party Member
Sep 7, 2008
New York, NY
[excerpt]

Jay Carney, Time's Washington bureau chief, questioned McCain spokesperson Nicole Wallace about the lack of access on MSNBC's "Morning Joe" last Thursday, resulting in a heated exchange that quickly got passed around via YouTube.

"We know now that Sarah Palin can give one hell of a speech," Carney said. "She's a natural. And that's no mean feat. We don't know yet and we won't know until you guys allow her to take questions, you know, can she answer tough questions about domestic policy, foreign policy?"

"But I mean, like from who?” Wallace asked. "From you?”

When Carney answered "Yes," Wallace followed up with, "Who cares?

"I think the American people want to see her," Wallace continued. "Who cares if she can talk to Time magazine?"

Later that day, Carney — who last week had a much-buzzed about interview with McCain in which the candidate became testy, and refused to answer some questions — told Politico that the McCain campaign is acting "condescending and smug" toward the press.

"The national media," he added, "will be kept far away" from Palin.

[/excerpt]

Isn't it interesting how the McCain campaign is keeping Palin far away from the media and covering it as a "punishment" for talking about her kids and her personal life? This is the 2008 elections, the most important election of the history of the America, we the people need to know that this woman who is just a P53 mutation away from being leader of the free world and commander in chief of the US Armed Forces, is ready to lead and is qualified and has the experience to lead. No presidential or vice presidential candidate in the history of modern politics has ever shunned the media for asking too many questions about their private life. So doesn't this tell you something? Doesn't this tell you that the McCain campaign is scared to let this pitbull with lipstick off leash?

The last national interview she gave she didn't even know what the vice president did.

If we asked her today what she would do if she had to become president and Russia was threatening war with the Ukraine, or we just found out that Iran had doubled the amount of centerfuges they had, or the stock market plunged 1000 points... what she would do, what would her, unscripted, untested answers be?

My fellow Republicans, when I was old enough to drive at 16 years old, I asked to be registered to vote and I registered as a Republican because I loved Ronald Reagan. If November 4 were today, for the first time since I began voting, I would vote for Barrack Obama and Joe Biden.

McCain's choice of Sarah Palin, someone who he felt would attract conservative-minded thinkers to vote for them, yet not have enough experience to take command on day 1 if something should happen to McCain shows me his serious lack in judgment. I don't want someone with that kind of judgment in my white house that I pay for. Number 2, our economy is getting worse and worse. Energy prices are soaring, families this winter will be wondering if they can heat their home, unemployment is up to 6.1% and all McCain is talking about is cutting wasteful government spending and his time as a PoW.

Senator McCain - if you receive this message, please know that your purposful shun to help solve the problems with the American economy is what got Bush the first kicked out of the White House and is a big reason why Bush the second's approval rating is in the toilet. You will NOT have my vote this November.

Yes, Obama is inexperienced. He has several years' experience working as a "community organizer" in the south side of Chicago, helping the people who needed help the most. He knows what it's like out there in the real world and wasn't raised on some multi-million dollar trust fund. He spent seven years representing the 13th district in Illinois as a State Senator from 1997 to 2004. In 2004 he ran against Republican Jack Ryan, former husband of actress Jeri Ryan (7 of 9 from Star Trek Voyager). Jack Ryan later dropped out because he took his young daughter to sex clubs around the country. Jack Ryan was later replaced with conservative Republican Alan Keyes who lost the vote 70-30, Obama. Yes, I know that Obama has only been in the Senate a year and a half, most of which he's been campaigning. But Obama's roots lie within the community where he helped people find jobs, helped people help themselves and became an inspiration. Now, I philisophically don't agree with Obama on several issues, being a Republican... but if Roe v. Wade wasn't overturned with a conservative in the White House for 8 years, it will never be overturned. Likewise gay marriage will probably remain a state issue and not a federal issue. Obama supports tax cuts for 95% of the American people, you and me here, folks. To fund that, he will raise taxes back to where they were before Bush and under Clinton for the top 5% of this country. Remember Clinton? Remember the economy under Clinton? Obviously the top 5% won't have any problems dealing with those taxes as they have become even richer over the past 8 years... and has their wealth helped to increase jobs? No. We just lost over 80,000 jobs this month. That's about the same amount of people who watch Obama in that stadium a couple of weeks ago. Imagine, all of those people who have lost jobs. What are they going to do if one of them gets sick and they don't have health insurance? Obama wants to help them and lower their taxes and give them health insurance.

McCain wants to talk about his time as a POW and how he's going to cut wasteful government spending... but some earmarks help local areas... earmarks create parks and youth centers. Other earmarks are wasteful, I agree, but how is cutting earmarks going to help the American economy right now? It's not. McCain has no plan to help the 45 million people without health insurance. They're on their own. And unlike McCain, if something were to happen to Obama, we've got someone with over 30 years experience in the United States senate and someone who has a great deal of experience with the economy and with foreign affairs. Palin hasn't even ever been out of the country. You want to talk family values folks, how does her 16, now 17 year old daughter get pregnant? How does her 16, now 17 year old daughter drop out of her junior year of high school? Why did she, as mayor of 7,000 people, want to ban books in the library? Why did she try to fire someone in the state government for her own personal reasons? Why won't she talk to the media in an unscripted interview? And I'm not talking FoxNews who uses talking points from the Republican. If Obama has the balls to go on O'Reilly, why doesn't Palin go on Meet the Press or This Week, like all of the other candidates are doing TODAY?

My friends, it is indeed time for change. It's not time for four more years. It's time for President Obama.

I think when the press has access to wonder woman we'll find that all that glitters isn't gold. The Republicans can't protect her forever, and the longer they delay full access the more rumors that will be thrown out there ruining what credibility she has.

love or hate her, the press is dying for access because she's the flavor-of-the-month celebrity, denying them is bad for their business, but they should have thought of that before they decided to trade objective criticism for blatant nastiness

also keep in mind most of these media outlets have been laying off people and have declining circulation or viewership as they get crushed by the Internet, strategically this is a smart move by the Mac/Palin campaign, because only does more to keep independents on realclearpolitics, politico, and not CNN, NBC, ABC, etc

I'm sure she's smart, and after they spend a couple weeks training her on talking points, and staying on message, she'll be able to parrot the party line quite competently.

If you can control press access and limit the number of times a candidate is put in a position to make gaffes, its really pretty easy to put up a prop for president. When Bush campaigned he really was only trained to repeat about a dozen talking points, over and over and over. They really didn't let an unscripted Bush get out on the Television that much.

I doubt Palen will be allowed to go into high profile, unscripted events a lot - like Meet the Press, or venues like that. Venues that McCain, Obama, and Biden go on ALL THE TIME:

Sunday Talk Shows, today:

ABC's "This Week" — Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama.

CBS' "Face the Nation" — Republican presidential nominee John McCain.

NBC's "Meet the Press" — Democratic vice presidential nominee Joe Biden.

Forum List

Back