McCain and The Company He Keeps

rayboyusmc

Jan 2, 2008
Florida
If we are going to judge Obama by a pastor he has repudiated, why are we not judging McCain by a pastor that he sought out for support?

And why are all these preachers so fat? Gluttony is still one of the big sins.

Hagee is not controversial solely because of his psychotic lust for an apocalyptic nuclear war. Hagee refers to the Catholic Church as "Thttp://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/2008/02/28/hagee/he Great Whore of Revelation 17," as well as a "False cult system," an "apostate church" and, like Islam, an anti-Christ institution.

The levees protecting New Orleans failed, according to Hagee, not because the federal government diverted maintenance funding to pay for the Iraq war, as alleged by an Army Corps of Engineers whistle-blower, or because the levees are poorly engineered and under-constructed. No. They failed because "New Orleans had a level of sin that was offensive to God," and hence the dead in New Orleans, a group primarily made up of impoverished elderly, infirm and handicapped victims of a rescue plan that was indifferent to their survival, "were the recipients of the judgment of God."

The fact that Hagee's god chose to punish New Orleans for its supposed sins by drowning, starving, dehydrating and denying medicine to a group of overwhelmingly black victims should be no surprise to Hagee-watchers. In 1996 Hagee made news by organizing a mock "slave sale" to raise funds for his Cornerstone church. His promotional materials for the event included, the San Antonio Express-News reported at the time, taglines promising that "slavery in America is returning to Cornerstone" and advising auction attendees to "make plans to come and go home with a slave."

Then there's Ohio-based televangelist Rod Parsley, whom McCain identifies as a spiritual advisor. According to Parsley, who recently appeared side by side with McCain at a campaign rally, America's "divine purpose" is to destroy Islam. In his 2005 book, Silent No More, McCain's spiritual advisor claims that this country "was founded, in part, with
the intention of seeing this false religion [Islam] destroyed."

http://ww4report.com/node/5311

* All Muslims are programmed to kill and we can thus never negotiate with any of them. From an NPR interview Hagee gave to Terry Gross in 2006:
TG: If you use the Bible as the basis for policy, is there any room for compromise? And if you use the bible as the basis for policy, should Muslims use the Koran as the basis for their policy, and then again, what possible basis is there for compromise at that point?

JH: There is really no room for compromise between radical Islam --

TG: I'm not talking about radical Islam. I'm just talking about Islam in general.

JH: Well Islam in general -- those who live by the Koran have a scriptural mandate to kill Christians and Jews.

* God caused Hurricane Katrina to wipe out New Orleans because it had a gay pride parade the week before and was filled with sexual sin. From the same interview:

JH: All hurricanes are acts of God, because God controls the heavens. I believe that New Orleans had a level of sin that was offensive to God, and they were recipients of the judgment of God for that.
The newspaper carried the story in our local area, that was not carried nationally, that there was to be a homosexual parade there on the Monday that the Katrina came. And the promise of that parade was that it would was going to reach a level of sexuality never demonstrated before in any of the other gay pride parades.

So I believe that the judgment of God is a very real thing. I know there are people who demur from that, but I believe that the Bible teaches that when you violate the law of God, that God brings punishment sometimes before the Day of Judgment, and I believe that the Hurricane Katrina was, in fact, the judgment of God against the city of New Orleans.

* The End Times -- Rapture -- is imminent and the U.S. Government must do what it can to hasten it, which at minimum requires: (a) a war with Iran and (b) undying, absolute support for a unified Israel, including all Occupied Territories (hence, Joe Lieberman's love affair with them). From Christian Palestinian Daoud Kuttab in The New York Times (h/t PZ Meyers):

http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/2008/02/28/hagee/

So why does McCain seek this guys support? :rolleyes:

If we are going to judge Obama by a pastor he has repudiated, why are we not judging McCain by a pastor that he sought out for support?

for the umpteenth time, McCain is not a member of that church. He has not contributed thousands of dollars to that 'mission.'

Because he has sway with a block of voters? Too easy.

If you want to compare pastors, pick the pastor of McCain's church -- the one he attends -- and compare THAT to Obama and Wright. Trying to compare any pastor that supports McCain to Obama's personal pastor is comparing apples-n-oranges.

If this game must be played, one should also include Alan Cranston, Dennis DeConcini, John Glenn, Donald W. Riegle, and Charles Keating.

I still think John McCain is a good guy, but so is Barack Obama.

If this game must be played, one should also include Alan Cranston, Dennis DeConcini, John Glenn, Donald W. Riegle, and Charles Keating.

I still think John McCain is a good guy, but so is Barack Obama.

Why?

Ok thanks for that. Seems if memory serves, McCain was given a pass. So why bring them up?

Actually, he was criticized by the Senate for "questionable conduct."

As long as we insist on talking about associations without proper context, this is as relevant as Ayers.

Ok thanks for that. Seems if memory serves, McCain was given a pass. So why bring them up?

Like the Republican pass on Whitewater?

The Keating Five scandal led to the failure of the Lincoln Savings and Loan Association:

"When American Continental Corporation, the parent of Lincoln Savings, went bankrupt in 1989, more than 21,000 mostly elderly investors lost their life savings. This total came to about $285 million, largely because such investors held securities backed by the parent company rather than deposits in the federally insured institution, a distinction apparently lost on many if not most of them until it was too late. The federal government covered almost $3 billion of Lincoln's losses when it seized the institution."

So Clinton has a deal that cost the investors their money. McCain triggers a Saving and Loan Crisis that cost the taxpayers $3 Billion. The real question is, why don't the people who blew $45 million investigating Clinton care about McCain?

So tell us all about the outcome...the conclusion of the investigation of McCain....what was he charged with? What was he accused of? \what was he found guilty of ?

Why the hell should we care ?

So tell us all about the outcome...the conclusion of the investigation of McCain....what was he charged with? What was he accused of? \what was he found guilty of ?

Why the hell should we care ?

Hell, I don't know. All those specifics are just too much trouble for me. I thought the standard isn't what you did, but who you may know. Isn't that how we have started evaluating politicians? You know, "the company they keep?"

Chuck Keating served several years in prison for fraud and he and McCain were tight, so surely that is good enough.

[I hope you are catching the dripping sarcasm]

Hell, I don't know. All those specifics are just too much trouble for me. I thought the standard isn't what you did, but who you may know. Isn't that how we have started evaluating politicians? You know, "the company they keep?"

Chuck Keating served several years in prison for fraud and he and McCain were tight, so surely that is good enough.

[I hope you are catching the dripping sarcasm]

And at that time one would presume that you felt it was fine for those senators to have such a 'tight' relationship? Seems Congress felt differently, reprimanding them for 'poor judgment,' though nothing improper.

The relationship Obama has with Ayers goes back a long ways, as Ayers hosted Obama's first fund raiser in 1995; the relationship with Wright over 20 years; how long with Michelle, "finally proud of the US"?

for the umpteenth time, McCain is not a member of that church. He has not contributed thousands of dollars to that 'mission.'

Paul was not a member of Stormfront, but you certainly did try as hard as possible to bring about a link.

Do you see the parallel?

Paul was not a member of Stormfront, but you certainly did try as hard as possible to bring about a link.

Do you see the parallel?

Actually I do between Paul and Obama, while neither were 'members' of either Stormfront or SDS, they kept close ties with those who were.

In the example of McCain and those ministers that 'endorsed' him, he isn't a member of their congregations, he hasn't donated to their endeavors. As for the Keating 5, he was given a reprimand for poor judgment, have you seen further ties with such?

Actually I do between Paul and Obama, while neither were 'members' of either Stormfront or SDS, they kept close ties with those who were.

In the example of McCain and those ministers that 'endorsed' him, he isn't a member of their congregations, he hasn't donated to their endeavors. As for the Keating 5, he was given a reprimand for poor judgment, have you seen further ties with such?

And McCain is the one who promised to "pay off" the people by whom he was just "endorsed" by giving them a VP who will continue to try to advance their theocratic agenda.

Gee... which is worse?

And McCain is the one who promised to "pay off" the people by whom he was just "endorsed" by giving them a VP who will continue to try to advance their theocratic agenda.

Gee... which is worse?

To be sure I'm not misunderstanding, are you referring to his response about Tom Ridge?

Nope... I like Tom Ridge...nothing right wing psycho about him.

I'm talking about McCain saying he'd only pick a VP who would "protect the santity of the lives of the unborn".

But he's not flip-flopped on that one, eh?
That was in response to a question of picking Ridge for VP. Ridge is pro-choice.

http://www.thebulletin.us/site/index.cfm?newsid=19492835&BRD=2737&PAG=461&dept_id=576361&rfi=8

04/17/2008
McCain Rules Out Pro-Choice Running Mate
By: Joe Murray , The Bulletin

Departing from a previous position made during the 2000 presidential campaign, presumptive Republican nominee John McCain hinted to a crowd of Villanova students that pro-choice Republicans need not apply for the position of his running mate. Mr. McCain said that "it would be difficult" for a pro-choice Republican, like former Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Ridge, to share the ticket.

"I don't know if it would stop him, but it would be difficult," Mr. McCain told MSNBC host Chris Matthews in discussing whether Mr. Ridge's pro-choice credentials would stop him from being considered for the post of the party's vice-presidential nominee.

While Mr. McCain was quick to express a great deal of praise for Mr. Ridge - referencing his war record and success as a public official - the Arizona senator, short of publicly declaring a pro-life litmus test, acknowledged his discomfort with a pro-choice running mate.
"I'm not saying [a litmus test] would be necessarily, but I am saying it's basically the respect and cherishing of the right of the unborn is one of the fundamental principles of my party. And it's a - and it's a deeply held belief of mine," Mr. McCain said....

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=18632802

Misperceptions About McCain's Abortion Stance

by Julie Rovner

Listen Now [3 min 31 sec] add to playlist

Weekend Edition Saturday, February 2, 2008 · Former New York Mayor Rudolph Giuliani's departure from the presidential race earlier this week means that once again, whoever the Republicans nominate will oppose abortion rights and whoever the Democrats nominate will be pro-choice. Many Republican voters, however, seem to believe, incorrectly, that the current Republican front-runner, Arizona Sen. John McCain, supports abortion rights, too.

The misperception is interesting, considering that McCain has not attempted to keep his pro-life views a secret. Here's how he put it on an appearance last year on NBC's Meet the Press:

"I have stated time after time after time that Roe v Wade was a bad decision, that I support a woman — the rights of the unborn — that I have fought for human rights and human dignity throughout my entire political career," McCain said. "To me, it's an issue of human rights and human dignity."

And while now former candidate Fred Thompson, the former senator from Tennessee, won the coveted endorsement from the National Right to Life Committee, McCain's voting record on the issue is just fine, says David O'Steen, the group's executive director.

"He's been very consistent; he hasn't changed his position," O'Steen says. He says that his group has supported McCain in every one of his senate races. "We've always considered him pro-life," he says.

Nancy Keenan, president of NARAL Pro-Choice America, says her group has always considered McCain pro-life as well. And it's not just abortion, she says.

"He voted against family planning, he voted against the freedom of access to clinic entrances — that was about violence against women in clinics," Keenan says, adding, "He voted against funding for teen pregnancy-prevention programs, and making sure that abstinence only was medically accurate. This is very, very extreme."

Yet in Florida's GOP primary on Jan. 29, McCain won 45 percent of Republican voters who said abortion should be legal. That's nearly twice the total of former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, who used to be pro-choice, but now says he has changed his mind. And Giuliani, who says he still is pro-choice, received just 19 percent of those pro-choice voters.

NARAL's Keenan thinks it's because voters see McCain splitting with Republicans on so many other issues, they assume he must split with them when it comes to abortion as well.

"I think it comes back to that moderate maverick image that he's tried to portray," Keenan says. "But when you peel the onion back, the record shows that this is a guy who's been very anti-choice since he entered the U.S. House of Representatives back in 1983."

Those pro-choice McCain voters may also remember the very public feud McCain has had with the National Right to Life Committee. But that argument wasn't over abortion, says the NRLC's O'Steen; it was over the campaign finance measure that McCain sponsored with Wisconsin Sen. Russ Feingold, a Democrat.

"The McCain-Feingold Act limited the ability of non-PACS [political action committees] to even mention the name of a candidate within 30 days of a primary, or 60 days of a general election," O'Steen says.

In other words, the dispute was a freedom of speech issue.

McCain's pro-life record isn't totally spotless: He did vote in favor of expanding federal funding of embryonic stem-cell research. But both pro-choice and pro-life groups say that if McCain becomes the Republican nominee, they'll work hard to make sure voters know what his abortion position really is.

Forum List

Back