McCain Adviser Was Lobbyist for Georgia

Manuel

Jan 7, 2008
Sydney
John McCain's top foreign-policy adviser, Randy Scheunemann, is a leading expert on U.S.-allied Georgia -- and was a paid lobbyist for the former Soviet republic until March, in the run-up to what has become a major battle between Georgia and Russia.

Democratic rival Barack Obama's presidential campaign was quick to try to paint Mr. Scheunemann's dual roles as a conflict of interest after Sen. McCain swiftly took Georgia's side in the dispute, and cited it as evidence that Sen. McCain is "ensconced in a lobbyist culture," as Obama spokesman Hari Sevugan told reporters over the weekend.

McCain Adviser Was Lobbyist for Georgia - WSJ.com

Politician, congressional staffer, lobbyist...the distinction escapes me.

Aren't they really all the variants of the same animal, now?

I'm not defending McCain here, I'd just suggesting that our entire political system is so lobby driven that to be surprised or shocked that former lobbyists are running campaigns is absurd.

What kind of people are working with O?

People who are not of that ilk?

Frankly, I doubt that very much.

About all we can know is what team a pol is on based on what kind of former (and will be again after the campaign) lobbyists they're hired.

Conflicts of interest?

Please don;'t make me laugh.

Our entire political process is now nothing but one gigantic conflict of interest.

Last edited:
I don't work as a lobbyist and I think McCain is making the correct choice in backing our ally here.

Even if McCain's advisor has a conflict and he is advising McCain on this, doesn't mean his advice is bad.

If this is downright true, this is another issue against McCain that will be blown out of proportions.

Politician, congressional staffer, lobbyist...the distinction escapes me.

Aren't they really all the variants of the same animal, now?

I'm not defending McCain here, I'd just suggesting that our entire political system is so lobby driven that to be surprised or shocked that former lobbyists are running campaigns is absurd.

What kind of people are working with O?

People who are not of that ilk?

Frankly, I doubt that very much.

About all we can know is what team a pol is on based on what kind of former (and will be again after the campaign) lobbyists they're hired.

Conflicts of interest?

Please don;'t make me laugh.

Our entire political process is now nothing but one gigantic conflict of interest.

Well, yes... but McCain is the one who runs around talking about campaign finance reform and how he wants to put lobbyists out of business. And everyone on his campaign seems to be a lobbyist. It's like the closeted types who spend their careers campaigning against gays and then get busted going after boys.

McCain surely does not seem to me to have a very good staff working for him.

His campaign seems half-hearted to me.

I don't ways this as a put down, I say that because I think he could be doing much better if his organization was more professional.

Well, yes... but McCain is the one who runs around talking about campaign finance reform and how he wants to put lobbyists out of business. And everyone on his campaign seems to be a lobbyist. It's like the closeted types who spend their careers campaigning against gays and then get busted going after boys.

Ohh back to THAT defense ehh? Obama can do it cause he never said anything about Lobbyists? Nice little spin there Jillian. But as I recall Obama is the one that INSISTS he is DIFFERENT, that he has a NEW way to do things, that he is all for CHANGE.

Lets see, he is part of the MOST corrupt political machine in the Country and he uses the EXACT same people to run his campaign as EVERY other politician. Including lobbyists. He has already sold out to the ethanol Lobby, wonder how many other lobbies have him in their back pocket? Oh we won't know cause the Press is not interested in fact checking or vetting HIS staff at all.

Lets see, he is part of the MOST corrupt political machine in the Country and he uses the EXACT same people to run his campaign as EVERY other politician. Including lobbyists. He has already sold out to the ethanol Lobby, wonder how many other lobbies have him in their back pocket? Oh we won't know cause the Press is not interested in fact checking or vetting HIS staff at all.

I HATE to say this, but I agree.

I think O is going to be another so called "moderate" Dem.

I am likely going to vote for him, not so much because I believe he was drastically change thing in the direction I want, but because I think McCain will stay the course set by the neo-con radicals which I think is killing our nation.

Forum List

Back