McCain: Abandoning Afghanistan caused 9/11

Actually, whether one agrees with his stance or not, he has a point. That point being that had we stayed the course in the 1980s, when the Afghans were fighting the Russians, we could have ensured that the Taliban did not allow their country to become a training ground for AQ, and hence, perhaps, 9-11 may not have happened.

Hindsight is always 20-20, but it's nice to see that, instead of looking rationally at McCain's comment and trying to context it, the idiots turn to ranting and stupidity instead. Reliable as ever.
Nonsense. 9/11 was coming no matter where "The base" was. McSame as always, is a clueless buffoon and we are much better off with Obama in office than this charlatan.

It's not nonsense, and I said 'perhaps' and 'may not'.... I didn't say it wouldn't have happened.

Fact is that we will never know. Had we stayed and made it impossible for the Taliban to take over, there would have been no training ground there for Osama's lunatics. There would have been no safe haven for Osama. Maybe, there would have been no 9-11. But there was and we are where we are.

I was never a fan of McCain, nor am I a fan of Obama. And I am certainly not gonna get into a pissing contest about who's a better leader. You can if you want but not with me.

Afghanistan. Why are we there now? There are other places in the world terrorists are training too, Yemen, Somalia, Central Africa, Malaysia and Pakistan. We cannot root out all of the terrorists everywhere, there are too many places and too many faces.

Sure our withdrawal from Afghanistan after the Russian withdrawal contributed to a the Taliban's takeover but it might have occurred even had we not disengaged from them. We only had marginal influence there to begin with and it was only through the Taliban's allowing terrorists to form camps there that contributed to 9/11. The root cause of 9/11 was and is our presence in Saudi Arabia and the middle east not leaving Afghanistan. 9/11 would probably have occurred even had we stayed because training and planning would have happened somewhere else.

But disengagement does have consequences and sometimes they can be brutal. We, as a country, though have to ask ourselves if it is in our interests to remain engaged with every country in the world or just those that have some value to us. Or are we the policeman of the world?

Forum List

Back