Mayor urges military, use "comfort women"

AmyNation

Road Warrior
Aug 6, 2012
Currently stationed at the kitchen table
"I told him there are places that operate within the boundaries of the law which can be used for releasing sexual frustration, so they [the U.S. military] should fully utilize it or the marines won't be able to control their aggressive sexual desires."

Japanese politician calls wartime sex slaves 'necessary' - CNN.com

So the mayor of Osaka apparently said this to a US military commander, who decline his offer. Of course, this sparked huge backlash and the major has since apologized.

He also made comments to the effect of WWII prostitution being necessary, even though a large portion of that was an issue of sex slaves.

Thoughts?

"I told him there are places that operate within the boundaries of the law which can be used for releasing sexual frustration, so they [the U.S. military] should fully utilize it or the marines won't be able to control their aggressive sexual desires."

So the mayor of Osaka apparently said this to a US military commander, who decline his offer. Of course, this sparked huge backlash and the major has since apologized.

He also made comments to the effect of WWII prostitution being necessary, even though a large portion of that was an issue of sex slaves.

Thoughts?

Does this sound Shocking?

The US has promoted this too.

They've been used in most of US wars..and in Korea and Vietnam, rather openly.

American Military-Base Prostitution

American soldiers have always patronized brothels overseas. I witnessed my comrades enter them regularly in the ville outside Camp Casey at TongduChon and over at Toko-Ri, in Korea. The difference is that the Americans did not create 'glass slippers' or own 'sex slaves'. And not all Americans participated as customers in sex traffic. The matriarchal oriented article above has some merit but its biases are quite obvious.

American soldiers have always patronized brothels overseas. I witnessed my comrades enter them regularly in the ville outside Camp Casey at TongduChon and over at Toko-Ri, in Korea. The difference is that the Americans did not create 'glass slippers' or own 'sex slaves'. And not all Americans participated as customers in sex traffic. The matriarchal oriented article above has some merit but its biases are quite obvious.
When I was stationed at Osan AB in 1988 my buds and I counted 47 Bars right outside the gate, all of which had more than a few Hookers working. Shit, there were even Pole Dancers at the NCO Club on base.

Then of course, there was "Whisper Alley". I went all over the Pacific and never caught anything. Just a mild case of NSU from the dirty water in the Philippines. A couple of beers cleared it right up!

Osaka mayor sorry for prostitution remarks...
:redface:
Osaka mayor apologizes for prostitution comments
Tue, May 28, 2013 - An outspoken Japanese politician apologized yesterday for saying US troops should patronize adult entertainment businesses as a way to reduce sex crimes, but defended another inflammatory remark about Japan’s use of sex slaves before and during World War II.
Osaka Mayor Toru Hashimoto, who is also the co-head of an emerging nationalistic party, said his remarks two weeks ago rose from a “sense of crisis” about cases of sexual assaults by US military personnel on Japanese civilians in Okinawa, where a large number of US troops are based under a bilateral security treaty. “I understand that my remark could be construed as an insult to the US forces and to the American people” and was inappropriate, he said at a news conference at the Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Tokyo. “I retract this remark and express an apology.”

Hashimoto had created an uproar with comments to journalists two weeks ago about Japan’s modern and wartime sexual services. They added to recent anger in neighboring countries that suffered from Japan’s wartime aggression and have complained about the lack of atonement for atrocities committed during that time.

Hashimoto said on May 13 that on a recent visit to Okinawa, he suggested to the US commander there that the troops there “make better use” of the legal sex industry, saying: “If you don’t make use of those places, you cannot control the sexual energy of those tough guys.”

He also said that Japan’s wartime practice of forcing women from across Asia, but mostly from South Korea and China, to work in front-line brothels was necessary to maintain discipline and provide relaxation for soldiers.

Osaka mayor apologizes for prostitution comments - Taipei Times

See also:

Does military culture foster environment of sex abuse?
May 23, 2013 WASHINGTON — Nearly a decade into the Pentagon’s efforts to stop sexual assault and harassment in the military, some parts of the armed services still allow — and even encourage — the kind of anti-woman sentiment that directly contradicts the Defense Department’s oft-cited “zero tolerance” policy, a range of servicemembers and victims’ advocates assert.
The attitudes are revealed not just in barracks rooms and on battlefields, but in workplaces and on social media sites, where women’s comments and photos are met with sexist epithets, calls for naked self-portraits and discussions of whether they are attractive enough to urinate on or sexually assault with various military-related gear. While top brass has demanded change, recent arrests and scandals illustrate just how far the problem reaches. This month alone, at least five commanders or sexual assault prevention representatives have been accused of or charged with misconduct.

In the latest case to become public, a sergeant first class at the United States Military Academy at West Point is accused of videotaping female cadets without their consent, sometimes in the shower. Paula Coughlin, who pushed the 1991 Tailhook sexual assault scandal into the public eye when she told her story of being sexually assaulted during the Navy aviation convention, said she believes women serving in today’s military may have to endure more than the women who served in the late 1980s and early 1990s. “It comes down to archaic attitudes held by current leadership,” said Coughlin, who is now a board member for the advocacy group Protect Our Defenders. “There are good people in the military who want that old attitude to go away,” she said, but the establishment “is clinging to traditions that are really now undermining the whole mission.”

Those traditions can run the gamut from songs and cadences that celebrate rape and violence against women to nicknames like “WM,” a term that can mean both “woman Marine” or “walking mattress.” Delilah Rumburg, CEO of the Pennsylvania Coalition Against Rape/National Sexual Violence Resource Center, said research shows that social norms “that oppress and objectify women, value the use of power over others, tolerate violence and victim-blaming, support traditional views of masculinity as dominant and controlling and foster secrecy around individual or family matters all contribute to an environment where sexual violence can occur.”

If a workplace allows misogynistic comments, she said, it sends a message that other forms of sexual violence — to include sexual harassment, cyberbullying and even rape — will be tolerated. Phillip Carter, director of the Center for a New American Security’s Military, Veterans and Society Program and a former military police and civil affairs officer in the Army, said a testosterone-charged culture is to be expected in any organization of young, athletic men, but that leaders must focus that energy in positive ways. “The military gives an elite status to the infantry in part because it had to in order to incentivize people to serve there,” Carter said. The Army gives infantry soldiers a blue cord to wear with their uniform to show their status and “encourages a certain amount of pride and chest-thumping.”

More Does military culture foster environment of sex abuse? - News - Stripes

We are condemning "rage and violence" in a career group that mission is "to close, engage, and kill the enemy and to capture or destroy its equipment".

Yes, issues exist, and they are being dealt with in the proper manner.

Thoughts?

Does this sound Shocking?

The US has promoted this too.

They've been used in most of US wars..and in Korea and Vietnam, rather openly.

American Military-Base Prostitution

Handing out hostess cards in San Diego in the 70s and 80s.....:eusa_whistle:

Spent 6 months runnin the streets of Olongopo City in 85. A Navy guy could change $20 to pesos. Drink all nite, pay a bar fine, which included the room. And have change left over. Which was offered to the girl.

Not from personal experience did I learn this. But from talk in the barracks

Thoughts?
guys, whats wrong with sex for money ?

comfort women in WW2 were forced into it unlike willing prostitutes getting paid/etc
and Marines should be capitalized
''utilized more''???--when I was in they were surely utilized --in the US, South America, etc

Thoughts?
Imperial Japan was very militaristic and did not have a code of human rights.

Says it all.

In order to adequately judge imperial militaristic Japan you must consider the fate of its generals and admirals -- most committed suicide.

So it was not a very good system.

Anything that ends up with suicide is not a good idea, philosophically speaking.

Spent 6 months runnin the streets of Olongopo City in 85. A Navy guy could change $20 to pesos. Drink all nite, pay a bar fine, which included the room. And have change left over. Which was offered to the girl.

Not from personal experience did I learn this. But from talk in the barracks
Sin city ..........lol
Olongopo......Subic City......Bario Bareta if my memory serves me correctly.........San Maguel Beer.........and so on.

Thoughts?
We always had to pay for ours in the army..

Forum List

Back