Mayor Emanuel- join wellness prgm. or be docked

Trajan

conscientia mille testes
Jun 17, 2010
The Bay Area Soviet
Typical gov., punishment vs. incentive. Good luck on this if it survives the inevitable court challenge.

We had a wellness prgm. at my last corp. workplace. They had a MD and 3 nurses on staff. They encouraged you to come in for a check up, no cost, blood panel, the works. Saved a trip to my family doc. And they encourage folks how had weight or cholesterol issues ot sign up for a prgm. one hour a day off to walk play volley ball, run, workout, a wellness check twice a quarter.

$50 bucks just if you enrolled and increments of bonuses thru the quarters if you showed improvement.

Shape Up or Pay Up: Emanuel

Mayor Rahm Emanuel is giving city workers an important health choice: enroll in a new wellness plan, expected to be unveiled Friday, or pay a higher premium.

The price if they don't enroll: $50 a month.

The program includes an initial screening that focuses on preventative care for asthma, heart disease and diabetes. City employees would then receive wellness training to achieve long-term health goals, including weight loss.

Smokers wouldn't be penalized, but they would be encouraged to quit. Advisers overseeing the program will monitor progress on a bimonthly basis, and those who reach their goals could see their health care premiums reduced.

more-
Source: Shape Up or Pay Up: Emanuel | NBC Chicago

Typical gov., punishment vs. incentive. Good luck on this if it survives the inevitable court challenge.

We had a wellness prgm. at my last corp. workplace. They had a MD and 3 nurses on staff. They encouraged you to come in for a check up, no cost, blood panel, the works. Saved a trip to my family doc. And they encourage folks how had weight or cholesterol issues ot sign up for a prgm. one hour a day off to walk play volley ball, run, workout, a wellness check twice a quarter.

$50 bucks just if you enrolled and increments of bonuses thru the quarters if you showed improvement.

Mayor Rahm Emanuel is giving city workers an important health choice: enroll in a new wellness plan, expected to be unveiled Friday, or pay a higher premium.

The program includes an initial screening that focuses on preventative care for asthma, heart disease and diabetes. City employees would then receive wellness training to achieve long-term health goals, including weight loss.

Smokers wouldn't be penalized, but they would be encouraged to quit. Advisers overseeing the program will monitor progress on a bimonthly basis, and those who reach their goals could see their health care premiums reduced.

more-

That's the same plan that Boeing uses, except they call it a "contribution".

more-

as in docking folks who refuse? then they blow....

next?

more-

as in docking folks who refuse? then they blow....

next?

Yep. Either you do the wellness plan or you give a $50 contribution back to Boeing from your paycheck.

Sign 'o the times. If the government pays your medical expenses it owns you and can dictate life style changes you might not like. When the government holds the IRS over your head it has all the clout it needs to force you to comply to certain standards of conduct.

more-

What court challenge? The City Pays for their health insurance, so they have the latitude to mandate people who they cover participate in the preventative/health maintenance initiatives that will save the city money in the long run.

Since it's similar to your former plan that you liked, what exactly is off putting about this one? That it's mandated or their are fines attached to it?

more-

What court challenge? The City Pays for their health insurance, so they have the latitude to mandate people who they cover participate in the preventative/health maintenance initiatives that will save the city money in the long run.

then they should do it honestly by not providing blanket coverages and letting folks qualify for their plans based on exams etc. if they wish to quantify risk and adjust pricing. I don't like the presumption of risk absent well, documented risk.

Since it's similar to your former plan that you liked, what exactly is off putting about this one? That it's mandated or their are fines attached to it?

:eusa_eh:because punishment makes a lousy incentive. My former co. gave you a bonus if you enrolled, and again if you performed to the regimen and/or showed improvement etc. There was no downside, if I didn't enroll, I didn't, I was out nothing.

more-

I bet that your evil corporation had a higher participation rate than Chicago will end up with.

Forum List

Back