Maynard G. Krebs was the prototype OWS protester

Someday the OWS loons should erect a statue to their guru Maynard G. Krebs at Zuccotti Park.

In keeping with their green philosophy for the world.

They should construct the statue out of the only material their, ah... movement ...literally produces.

Would a brown likeness of Maynard G. Krebs be considered racist??

Last edited:
I used to love that show. It's funny. At the age I was when this was on TV, Dobie looked like an older kid, his parents looked like they were ancient and Zelda just looked a little psychotic.

Now they all look young.

Zelda, BTW, has been in the California Assembly for years. She is a leader in the Women's caucus and has sponsored much legislation for women and children - you know, the stuff Republicans hate.

If it doesn't cost anything, good for her!

Krebs would not be funny today. No one would even get the humor.
In those days Maynard was considered extremely odd and a one of a kind goof ball.

Sadly, today we have a large segment of society who can self identify with him.

I am sure most of the OWS loons have never heard of Maynard G. Krebs.

Otherwise, they would have already anointed him as the Founding Father of the OWS movement.

Back then? They were pre-hippy. "Beatniks".

Yes, that's right: Beatnik - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Krebs was supposed to be really grungy. Funny thing is how clean cut he looks in comparison to what we have walking around today!

baggy_pants_gone_too_far.jpg

You are exactly right.

Maynard G. Krebs was just being his harmless himself and had no political axe to grind.

But the OWS protesters think that poor hygiene is a virtue.

And that obnoxious behavior is endearing.

Then the OWS idiots can't seem figure out why their movement hasn't been accepted by the vast majority of the American public? :cuckoo:

You are exactly right.

Maynard G. Krebs was just being his harmless himself and had no political axe to grind.

Then the OWS idiots can't seem figure out why their movement hasn't been accepted by the vast majority of the American public? :cuckoo:

In the days of the hippies, conservatives were not nearly so verbal as they are today. In fact, they were SO nonverbal that they were dubbed 'the silent majority.'

I recall one old lady standing up to a bunch of hippies who tried to block here way. She told them to 'get out of the way, I'm the silent majority.' And they did! LOL Viva little old ladies with balls! I was quite young then, but I took a lesson from that!

You are exactly right.

In the days of the hippies, conservatives were not nearly so verbal as they are today. In fact, they were SO nonverbal that they were dubbed 'the silent majority.'

I recall one old lady standing up to a bunch of hippies who tried to block here way. She told them to 'get out of the way, I'm the silent majority.' And they did! LOL Viva little old ladies with balls! I was quite young then, but I took a lesson from that!

Barbara Frietchie by John Greenleaf Whittier

Barbara Frietchie

<snip>
Up the street came the rebel tread,
Stonewall Jackson riding ahead.

Under his slouched hat left and right
He glanced; the old flag met his sight.

'Halt!' - the dust-brown ranks stood fast.
'Fire!' - out blazed the rifle-blast.

It shivered the window, pane and sash;
It rent the banner with seam and gash.

Quick, as it fell, from the broken staff
Dame Barbara snatched the silken scarf.

She leaned far out on the window-sill,
And shook it forth with a royal will.

'Shoot, if you must, this old gray head,
But spare your country's flag,' she said.

A shade of sadness, a blush of shame,
Over the face of the leader came;

The nobler nature within him stirred
To life at that woman's deed and word;

'Who touches a hair of yon gray head
Dies like a dog! March on! he said.
<snip>

You are exactly right.

Barbara Frietchie by John Greenleaf Whittier

Barbara Frietchie

<snip>
Up the street came the rebel tread,
Stonewall Jackson riding ahead.

Under his slouched hat left and right
He glanced; the old flag met his sight.

'Halt!' - the dust-brown ranks stood fast.
'Fire!' - out blazed the rifle-blast.

It shivered the window, pane and sash;
It rent the banner with seam and gash.

Quick, as it fell, from the broken staff
Dame Barbara snatched the silken scarf.

She leaned far out on the window-sill,
And shook it forth with a royal will.

'Shoot, if you must, this old gray head,
But spare your country's flag,' she said.

A shade of sadness, a blush of shame,
Over the face of the leader came;

The nobler nature within him stirred
To life at that woman's deed and word;

'Who touches a hair of yon gray head
Dies like a dog! March on! he said.
<snip>

Yeah, I remember that.

Forum List

Back