Maybe we need a new or better book.

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by eric3742, Apr 27, 2011.

1. eric3742

eric3742 Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    In the early years of human history there wasn't a single bible that people read and lived by in order to be better people. They did okay. They just did good things or were good people, or they did bad things and were bad people. So maybe we don't need a bible at all?
    Some people may think that way and others might not. Do I think everyone in the world should get their day to day guidance on how to be a better person from the bible? Well that would depend on the bible. For instance there is the one most people know about, the Holy Bible, a good book for life lessons if you can understand it. Sure you could probably read the words and know the meaning behind them but if they don't hit home you won't understand them. As in how could I understand, in the world we live in today, if an all powerful being just appeared in the world an made his presence known and said he would destroy the entire world's population in less than a year, all because we'd failed to worship him correctly, or we had sex with the neighbor's wife or some other such nonsense that would hurt an individual's emotions but as far as the species had little or no effect on the world. Sure he sent his son to die for our sins but if he were willing to destroy all life once for no reason except improper worship, I don't think it's the right book to be letting into the hands of our children. If we lived by those laws today people would be shot for simple things like cussing at a teacher or yelling at the board in a town council meeting(and i know people just love doing that, I mean just look at any news footage of a council meeting there's always someone pissed off in the back).
    How about a book that teaches you what it means to really be a good person based on doing good things for the satisfaction that one day all your unwarranted help could be reciprocated, all because you stopped at the broken down car to help or helped the old lady across the street. Or any kind of charity you feel up to performing. A book that teaches goodness for goodness, instead of a book that threatens us to be good our whole life with no mistakes or you'll BURN IN HELL!!!
    That's not how I want my children to view the world, I want my children to know that all it takes is to be a good person is to do good things and avoid as many of the bad things as possible. Help others until it hurts, do unto others as they do unto you, and never to be a lamb, be a lion posing as a lamb.

2. Grace

Grace BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +742
    It comes from within. No book is needed for that.

3. Marie888

Marie888 † † †

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +215

Please let me try to say this as kindly as I can... and please let me encourage you to see the following link. I don't think you know yet the message of the Gospel of Jesus Christ in the Bible, that everything points to Jesus Christ our Lord. (I think, but not certain to what you have read) I want to please encourage you read the Bible (or even just the two Bible books I posted below) and pray to the Lord to ask Him questions - directly.

Don't listen to people, even me. Go study what it teaches yourself, rather than to listen to "men" first. Besides, do we know of any "man" who knows it all?

You said that we all have to be good or we go to hell, however please know that is NOT what the Bible teaches at all. For, who can be "good" all the time, 100% of the time? Can any of us name one person who can, including ourselves? None of us can.

The Bible shows us that we all fall short, we all do wrong, none of us can do "good" to get to heaven. It is only through Jesus Christ our Lord that we are made "righteous.". None of us are holier than thou...we all mess up. That doesn't make messing up (sin) right, but through love (Gods love) and loving others we grow away from sin, we learn, and we start to do the right things. (out of love and forgiving others)

Here's some reading; I can only try to encourage you, and I hope it blesses you.

Take the Romans Road - or please at least take a peek at it...
    What is the Romans Road to salvation?

The Gospel of John - or the start of it, with a link to the first chapter..

John 1 - Passage*Lookup - King James Version - BibleGateway.com

The Book of Romans - or the start of it, with a link to the first chapter...
    Romans 1 - Passage*Lookup - King James Version - BibleGateway.com

Romans talks about sin, about "being good", or rather falling short of that, etc. But the Romans Road in the first post will show you that being "good" does not get us to heaven.
    It's ALL about faith in Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior, what HE did for us. That HE paid the price for our sin, we could never have done it.

PS - and you could also see the verse in my siggy. He didn't come to condemn us, He came to save us. But how can we go with Him if we don't even believe Him?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  4. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,219
    Or maybe you should actually read it and find out for yourself whether it's true instead of pretending you can determine what God want's rather than learning what God wants from God Himself.

Practicing your faith, seeking God, crazy ideas, i know.

5. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,419
    Just Follow the 10 Commandments. It's the Cliff Notes version.

The rest is fluff.

6. sinister59

sinister59 BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +34
    why not its been rewritten to fi t into the needs of eurotrash for years ,like what ? no divorce ? well rewrite the bible to allow it . some 93 now 94 different version so fare , what one more , more or less .

7. MHanson

MHanson Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17
    :eusa_whistle: I'm writing my own.

8. bodecea

bodecea Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,716
    Which version? There's at least 3.

9. sinister59

sinister59 BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +34
    a lot more then 3
    in fact they just came out with a new version , they cleaned up gods potty mouth . they want it so kids wont embarrass their parent asking about all the sex and violence .

10. bodecea

bodecea Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,716
    I'm talking about the 10 Commandments.