MAybe this will give you an idea of what Israel is dealing with...

insein

Apr 10, 2004
Philadelphia, Amazing huh...
http://news.myway.com/top/article/id/398958|top|04-22-2004::09:46|reuters.html

Apr 22, 9:35 AM (ET)

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Israel is equipping its El Al fleet with an anti-missile system and the national carrier's first plane protected by the device will take to the air by June, the Transportation Ministry said on Thursday.
Israeli aviation sources said they believed El Al was the first airline to install the countermeasures. International experts have said they expected other airlines to follow suit within months in response to global terrorism fears.

Israel stepped up efforts to adapt military anti-missile systems for its civilian aircraft after an Israeli Arkia charter jet came under attack from shoulder-held missiles in Kenya in 2002. The missiles, fired by al Qaeda-linked attackers, missed.

Interesting.

I would say that the only "good news" I can think of, regarding our war on terrorism, is that we aren't inthe same prediciment that Israel is. Not on the same scale anyway, in that 9/11 was the first foreign terrorist attack launched on American soil.

It is hard for me to imagine what they deal with so frequently. I remember vividly how I felt during the month of that fateful September, as I watched "my city" transformed by the attacks. In parts of Israel, this is an all to frequent occurence.

Originally posted by nycflasher
Interesting.

I would say that the only "good news" I can think of, regarding our war on terrorism, is that we aren't inthe same prediciment that Israel is. Not on the same scale anyway, in that 9/11 was the first foreign terrorist attack launched on American soil.

It is hard for me to imagine what they deal with so frequently. I remember vividly how I felt during the month of that fateful September, as I watched "my city" transformed by the attacks. In parts of Israel, this is an all to frequent occurence.

To be technical for a good reason, WTC 1993 was on US soil. The embassies in Africa are technically US soil. So 9/11 wasnt the FIRST attack on US soil.

It was the first attack on U.S. soil that made front page news for more than a day, that's for sure. It is also, by far, the largest attack on U.S. soil to date.

Originally posted by Hobbit
It was the first attack on U.S. soil that made front page news for more than a day, that's for sure. It is also, by far, the largest attack on U.S. soil to date.

Yeah, no doubt. I'm not sure why I had 911 in my head as"the 1st attack..".

I mean, I am quite aware of the 1st attack and also the embassies and the U.S.S. Cole. Did we know it was foreign terrorists behind the first WTC attack at the time of the 2nd? If not, then maybe initial reports were referring to 9/11 as the fist terrorist attack by foreigners in the Continental U.S.?

Ah well, anyway, it hardly matters now. I am just happy all the smoke has cleared. When I woke up on the afternoon(oops) of 9/11 and walked up to the roof of my building, that is all I saw. I then called friends in Brooklyn who were wading through charred financial records on their roof... how creepy. The wind had blown them the short distance across the
East River to where they settled on their roof. So while many burned or jumped to their deaths, the contents of their desks were being spread around the city :mad: ANolther friend was doing Yoga in his apt. in Brooklyn when the first plane hit. He was looking out his bay window across the river, probably doing some crazy yoga pose, when all of a sudden...

WTF?

Sorry... that recollection just came to me.

Originally posted by nycflasher
Yeah, no doubt. I'm not sure why I had 911 in my head as"the 1st attack..".

I mean, I am quite aware of the 1st attack and also the embassies and the U.S.S. Cole. Did we know it was foreign terrorists behind the first WTC attack at the time of the 2nd? If not, then maybe initial reports were referring to 9/11 as the fist terrorist attack by foreigners in the Continental U.S.?

Ah well, anyway, it hardly matters now. I am just happy all the smoke has cleared. When I woke up on the afternoon(oops) of 9/11 and walked up to the roof of my building, that is all I saw. I then called friends in Brooklyn who were wading through charred financial records on their roof... how creepy. The wind had blown them the short distance across the
East River to where they settled on their roof. So while many burned or jumped to their deaths, the contents of their desks were being spread around the city :mad: ANolther friend was doing Yoga in his apt. in Brooklyn when the first plane hit. He was looking out his bay window across the river, probably doing some crazy yoga pose, when all of a sudden...

WTF?

Sorry... that recollection just came to me.

actually yes. Remember that they arrested and convicted several middle eastern men for the "Crime" of bombin the WTC.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/news/breaking_news/5559763.htm?1c

Thanks for the link to the article(though I can't view it). That seems like a lifetime ago, actually it was the year I graduated H.S.-- a bit hazy I suppose. But thanks for the reminder.

I think that there is no failsafe system to protect civilian airliners from missle attack; they are too vulnerable on take-off and landing. A jetliner only a few hundred feet in the air would not be able to register and/or initiate counter missle apparatus in time to stop a shoulder-fired weapon.

Forum List

Back