Maybe Former Chrysler Dealers are Now Mad Enough

I think she's making a comment as to why did GM buy Saab in the first place. It wasn't like their business was doing great at that time (1989) either.

Indeed, and Saab has always had a reputation for outrageous repair costs, that did not improve after it was bought by GM.

To me, it's all simple common sense and mathematics: If the parent company can't afford to take hits if an offshoot loses money, it doesn't make any sense to keep those offshoots afloat (especially if the parent company is ALREADY in bad shape financially). When I was recently shopping for a used car, I spotted several Saabs that were clean and in my price range, and I was told to not even consider a Saab because of the high cost of repairs. Why would GM want to take on a brand that already has a terrible reputation?

MaggieMae, you are a bit confusing. You appear to understand GM already owns Saab, but then in the bold quoted area, you talk as if they were buying it. You do know Saab is owned by GM? That they were looking to sell it and had a deal, but couldn't close it?

I think she's making a comment as to why did GM buy Saab in the first place. It wasn't like their business was doing great at that time (1989) either.

Your explanation of MaggieMae's post makes sense, thanks Polk. North American operations growth was begining to limited even in 1989. Future growth was to be in Europe and Asia. Buick currently sells more in China than the US. Probably was some thinking along those lines.

MaggieMae, you are a bit confusing. You appear to understand GM already owns Saab, but then in the bold quoted area, you talk as if they were buying it. You do know Saab is owned by GM? That they were looking to sell it and had a deal, but couldn't close it?

Your explanation of MaggieMae's post makes sense, thanks Polk. North American operations growth was begining to limited even in 1989. Future growth was to be in Europe and Asia. Buick currently sells more in China than the US. Probably was some thinking along those lines.

I agree. I was just trying to explain her question.

Forum List

Back