Maureen Dowd on Christmas

KarlMarx

May 9, 2004
Well... as can be expected... Maureen Dowd is in her usual agreeable self this holiday season.....

The tone of her article (link below) makes her at least a candidate, if not hands down winner, for The Grinch or Ebeneezer Scrooge this holiday season.

Wow.... talk about a self centered, self absorbed, whiny, so and so!

Here are some highlights from her article ...

First line of the article

"If I hear "Frosty the Snowman" one more time, I'll rip his frozen face off...."

(KM - wow.... that sounds like hate crime in the making to me! Are snowmen a Designated Victim Group?)

"I've never said this out loud before, but I can't stand Christmas."
(KM - translation ... "Bah Humbug")

"Everyone in my family loves it except me, and they can't fathom why I get the mullygrubs, as a Southern friend of mine used to call a low-level depression, from Thanksgiving straight through New Year."
(KM - I wonder if there isn't an acronym for this condition? Like ADD or SAD or SCROOGE. I'm sure if I really tried hard enough, I might actually give a crap that Maureen Dowd isn't feeling happy. Well.... OK, I tried and I lied .... I actually CAN'T give a crap that Marueen Dowd is depressed. Call me ungenerous!)

"You're weird," my mom says. This from a woman who once left up our Christmas tree until April 3, and who listens to a radio station that plays carols 24/7 all month.
(KM - sounds to me like her mom has the ol' Christmas Spirit, how in the hell did she wind up with a scrooge like Maureen Dowd for a daughter? Must have been a mixup at the hospital, apparently! I know! Maureen Dowd's Mom and the Wicked Witch of the West must have both have gone into labor at about the same time)

"My mom and sister both blissfully sat through "It's a Wonderful Life" again on Thanksgiving weekend, while even hearing a mere snatch of that movie makes me want to scarf down a fistful of antidepressants - and join all the other women in America who are on a holiday high - except our family doctor is a Scrooge about designer drugs, leaving me to self-medicate as Clarence gets his wings with extra brandy in the eggnog."

(KM - Drinking and Driving, Water and Electricity, Maureen Dowd and Christmas--- some things just don't mix! I wonder if she just might go on a killing spree and wipe out all the Salvation Army Santas in New York.... do you think we ought to post a suicide watch on her?)

"It might be exacerbated by the stress I feel when I think of all the money I've spent on lavishing boyfriends with presents over the years, guys who are now living with other women who are enjoying my lovingly picked out presents which I'm no doubt still paying for in credit card interest charges."
(KM- Oh! so that's it! It's the guy's fault that she's such a grinch and a scrooge! Sounds like she could use a date with the Ghosts of Christmas Past, Present and Future!)

"Yep. I definitely need to rip Frosty's face off."
(KM - that does it! Call 911 before some innocent snowman gets killed!)

When God sends her to Hell... guess what song they'll be playing?

More from Ebeneezer Dowd Herself!

So nice of her to spread her holiday cheer with everyone else....I bet she thinks she's funny. What an ass!!!!!!!!

:moon4:

I'll admit I'm biased, I find Maureen Dowd to be generally idiotic on a daily basis...

This time, however, I didn't find her idiotic so much as sad. She just came off as a lonely spinster whining about the fact that her mother and sister have lives that involve caring more about other people than themselves...and they ENJOY that life...a concept she, seemingly, lacks the capacity to grasp.

Chill out, Maureen...go on Netflix...rent several seasons of Sex in the City...sit alone in your New York apartment and attempt to validate your life while the rest of us enjoy the Christmas season with our friends and family.

• Thanks
Reactions: Joz
Now that article just breaks my heart. Somebody needs to set a suicide watch on that woman during the holiday season. She is clearly not happy and the season reminds her of the worst of things.

Who the hell is Maureen Dowd anyway?

I've heard the name alot lately but I cannot honestly say I know what it is she does. Beyond the fact that she is a DNC shill (I've gathered that much myself), could someone please enlighten me.

Zhukov said:
Who the hell is Maureen Dowd anyway?

I've heard the name alot lately but I cannot honestly say I know what it is she does. Beyond the fact that she is a DNC shill (I've gathered that much myself), could someone please enlighten me.

She's a columnist. Her work gets featured in the Times etc.
In my opinion she is way beyond liberal more like stuck in Communism land.

Someone called up on Rush yesterday and said she needs a good conservative man to tame her. but dang would that guy need patience.

I actually didn't like Christmas much after my grandma died back in April 1996. It felt like the whole Christmas spirit in me died with her. Until my son was born, I actually felt I would not miss the holiday if it had not occurred. I guess I felt like it was so much more hassle than it was fun. My grandma was a BIG Christmas person, and you couldn't help but be the same around her. After she died, it felt too different and strange to have Christmas without her. It was the first Christmas in my life I didn't spend with my dad's side the first half, then my mom's the 2nd. I spent that Christmas with just my dad and step-mom. My mom and stepdad went up North to my stepdad's family, and my grandparents went up north to be with my great-grandma. I guess it was so different than the past 16 years, it felt kinda depressing.

Now that my son is here, and we have our own house (which my hubby has spent his allowance on lights every week in which to decorate), I am looking forward to it again. Although it will be weird without my other grandma and grandpa, who retired and moved 4 hours away this past spring. I know life goes on, and things change, but it's the tradition and the yearly routine that I miss, and I think that is what made it hard to enjoy the holidays until the last 2 years. I love the way my son looks at our tree, and how much fun watching him open presents this year (and for years to come), because I remember what it was like as a kid.

Oh, and I have a confession to make. I have NEVER seen "It's a Wonderful Life". I guess I am not a 'sappy saccarin-sweet movie' person.

fuzzykitten99 said:
... I know life goes on, and things change, but it's the tradition and the yearly routine that I miss, and I think that is what made it hard to enjoy the holidays until the last 2 years. I love the way my son looks at our tree, and how much fun watching him open presents this year (and for years to come), because I remember what it was like as a kid.

Oh, and I have a confession to make. I have NEVER seen "It's a Wonderful Life". I guess I am not a 'sappy saccarin-sweet movie' person.
And now it's time to make your own tradition....Have fun.:D

Oh..watch the movie!!!!!

Mr. P said:
And now it's time to make your own tradition....Have fun.:D

Oh..watch the movie!!!!!
That movie annoys the hell out of me, Stewart is such a dufus in that........Sorry to all those that love it. Fuzzy you may find it enjoyable so like Mr P says get some popcorn and watch it, it does have a great feel good ending :clap1:

We dont do much for christmas, we use it as a good excuse to get together for a couple of days. This year will be the last xmas that my mom spends in the house that I grew up in, (dad died in 1991) so I expect to be a little nostalgic....she's been there for 53 years and has decided to downsize into a smaller manufactured home on our property with us. So lots of changes coming up in the next year. I have lots of wonderful memories of growing up and christmas was always special. I hope all of you enjoy the season and create memories that you will enjoy many years down the road.

sagegirl said:
We dont do much for christmas, we use it as a good excuse to get together for a couple of days. This year will be the last xmas that my mom spends in the house that I grew up in, (dad died in 1991) so I expect to be a little nostalgic....she's been there for 53 years and has decided to downsize into a smaller manufactured home on our property with us. So lots of changes coming up in the next year. I have lots of wonderful memories of growing up and christmas was always special. I hope all of you enjoy the season and create memories that you will enjoy many years down the road.

Same to you!! IM feeling nostalgic about my parents lately, I guess because Im growing up and appreciating them even more.

Forum List

Back