mauled by her own dogs?

listen to ya.....owners defend their breeds simple as that...she was too small to be handling two large pits on her own...i am 5' 10" and would think twice about walking two large aggressive dogs at once in the woods......they jump a deer and they are off....a friend had a pit..we would be standing in her yard....a mouse or some poor small thing would run across the yard 100 ft away...that dog would kill what it saw in a heartbeat and be back at her feet

listen to ya.....owners defend their breeds simple as that...she was too small to be handling two large pits on her own...i am 5' 10" and would think twice about walking two large aggressive dogs at once in the woods......they jump a deer and they are off....a friend had a pit..we would be standing in her yard....a mouse or some poor small thing would run across the yard 100 ft away...that dog would kill what it saw in a heartbeat and be back at her feet

Xena has killed and eaten 3 rabbits, several moles and even a couple birds.
And if someone opens the gate or breaks in the house....I feel sorry for them.
As long as either of us do introductions she is their friend forever. It is uncanny how different she treats strangers than someone we have introduced her to.

Why am I not surprised they were Pit Bulls?
Didn't even have to read the story

Dogs are usually protective of their owner. How they could maul her to death is beyond me. Might be one of those alpha male situations where they were trying to show dominance.....but to maul her to death?

Last edited:

Dogs are usually protective of their owner. Hoe they could maul her to death is beyond me. Might be one of those alpha male situations where they were trying to show dominance.....but to maul her to death?

It is a phenomenon almost exclusively to that breed.
American Pit Bulls were among the most docile breeds you could get, excellent dog for small children.
But then the aggressive breeding began in the 80's and turned the breed into a very skittish, fearful and "bite first ask questions later". With a distinct history of attacking their owner.
Dobermans use to do the same thing before breeders toned down the breed, and now dobies are highly trustworthy dogs.

Dogs are usually protective of their owner. Hoe they could maul her to death is beyond me. Might be one of those alpha male situations where they were trying to show dominance.....but to maul her to death?

American Pit Bulls were among the most docile breeds you could get, excellent dog for small children.
But then the aggressive breeding began in the 80's and turned the breed into a very skittish, fearful and "bite first ask questions later". With a distinct history of attacking their owner.
Dobermans use to do the same thing before breeders toned down the breed, and now dobies are highly trustworthy dogs.

I remember when Dobermans, Rottweiler's and German Shepherds were the breeds you got if you wanted a "Don't mess with me. I am a badass" dog

Now they are all Pit Bulls

I remember when Dobermans, Rottweiler's and German Shepherds were the breeds you got if you wanted a "Don't mess with me. I am a badass" dog

Now they are all Pit Bulls

GSD's (which is what we have) - have two distinct lines, I like to call them the "original line" and the "bred line".
The original line they call "The working breed"....these are the real thing. And then there is the "Show breed"...dogs specifically chosen to breed for show...they are very docile and wouldn't hurt a flea.
Xena (our dog) is a working German Shepherd. Beautiful, smart as hell and extremely loyal. With the benefit of being pretty much the best guard dogs on the planet. There is a reason why the military and law enforcement exclusively choose this breed. And with our areas Meth problem and increasing home invasions....we have peace of mind. I pity the fool that even attempts to break into our home.

Cynologists' Comments: There is still much to say about Dobermans. They are indeed fairly aggressive and can be dangerous for a man. Large and high-quality Dobermans are serious adversaries because of their agility and specific manner of the attack – they spring on the opponent, bite and then immediately jump back. It’s uncharacteristic for Dobermans to keep its preys; they never bite repeatedly and climb up the body as it does many service dogs. Normally Dobermans were used by the police force in pairs since it’s almost impossible to make a stand against two Dobermans. Currently Dobermans aren’t utilized for detention as it’s considered to be too traumatic and cruel. Indeed, Dobermans fall into the category of dogs which are capable of display of spontaneous aggression. And they just as Rottweilers understand a «play threat» neither to itself or its masters.
True. Dobermans are unshakable in pairs. The finest dogs ever bred in my opinion.

Having 2 male dogs in the same household is iffy. The reason I got bit, is because shortfat thought my leg was the dog that was trying to kill him's leg. Meanwhile I'm still holding the one dog up in the air by his neck.

Even after I fell, shortfat didn't attack the other dog, he realized what he did and ran off. I managed to get to my feet and threw the aggressor dog in a bedroom, closing the door. I gave the bigger, "meaner" dog away, keeping shortfat. Nobody else would have understood him, he was funny. For instance when he was happy, he'd crank his tail and growl in a talking way. I guilted him for years by showing him that scar. If he was annoying me, I'd pull up my pant leg and point to the scar: "You see this?" He'd look all sad.

once they stopped using dobies in the police/military breeders decided to breed for families..when my son was a toddler he escaped ....my dobie stayed with him....and much to the horror of the two men who found him would not let anyone near my son...they had to come get my hubby to get the boy in a vehicle...she was a pretty little girl but for some reason our dobie did not like her...we were sad but knew she did not belong with us...

Here's our girl, turned 6 mos. old this week,

IMG_0168.jpg

Here's our girl, turned 6 mos. old this week,

View attachment 166613

Is that some kind of sex toy?

Holy crap I would hate to see it used as one...it is like 2 feet long, and the balls on the end are at least the size of a pool ball. Mighty painful...but then again people stick pop bottles up their ass.

Aannd back to the OP. :rolleyes:

I agree with bones. SOmething is not right with any dog that kills their owner.
I believe we will see more to this story - and what we will see is a bloodline from a breeder who bred aggressive dogs on purpose.

I'm not sure what mine is but I think it might be an American. I've had some people tell me that. I found it as a stray so there are no papers. Any stranger can come right up to him and hell pretty much just wants to go home with them but I always remain overly cautious just because. This is actually the first dog I've ever owned and personality wise I probably got lucky , he doesn't even bark at the mail man and his only great obsession is running after the ball. I was also pretty impressed by his caution around small kids, as that was one of the first things I paid attention to before deciding to keep him.He pretty much , realizes they are more fragile than adults and moves around them careful. Needless to say though, I never leave him with any kid unless I'm right there. I couldnt imagine this dog ever snapping but, theres a shotgun on the wall just in case he has an old Yeller moment.

Two dogs mauled their owner to death during a walk in Virginia woods, sheriff says

so you have this small person walking two large pit bulls....in the woods..and something happens..the pits maul her to death...i just cant stop wondering what happened what went wrong...or simply why? why would dogs she had raised from pups do this?
did she fall and that started the attack?
When you have pets which are above you in the food chain you are taking your life into your hands.

Pit bulls are a wolf like breed with wolf like ferocity.

They should be illegal everywhere -- same as are wolf pups or lion cubs or bear cubs.

I'm not sure what mine is but I think it might be an American. I've had some people tell me that. I found it as a stray so there are no papers. Any stranger can come right up to him and hell pretty much just wants to go home with them but I always remain overly cautious just because. This is actually the first dog I've ever owned and personality wise I probably got lucky , he doesn't even bark at the mail man and his only great obsession is running after the ball. I was also pretty impressed by his caution around small kids, as that was one of the first things I paid attention to before deciding to keep him.He pretty much , realizes they are more fragile than adults and moves around them careful. Needless to say though, I never leave him with any kid unless I'm right there. I couldnt imagine this dog ever snapping but, theres a shotgun on the wall just in case he has an old Yeller moment.

There are plenty of great American Pits out there that wouldn't harm a flea. The problem is that there are also plenty of Pits who has bad blood lines in them.
In my opinion I believe these breeders who were known to breed aggressive Pits should face criminal prosecution for what, if anything, decedents do.
I am serious.
Imagine if humans attained sexual maturity in one year. You take the most violent offenders in prisons, match them with the most violent female offenders...bred them, chose the most aggressive off spring from them, and repeat that process dozens of times. Imagine what kind of people you would produce.
The same with dogs. These breeders repeatedly chose the most aggressive males and females and kept picking out the worst ones for numerous generations...and the end result is highly unpredictable dogs that have poisoned the breed. And it still continues to this day.
It will take several decades of euthanizing/sterilizing aggressive pits and cross breeding docile pups to get the breed back to what they once were.

Forum List

Back