Matzo No Treat for Jews, But Israel's Arabs Love It

hipeter924

Not a zombie yet
May 5, 2009
Nowhere you can follow
Israel - Matzo No Treat for Jews, But Israel's Arabs Love It

Israel - Many Jewish Israelis can’t stand the stuff, so there’s something mind-boggling about their Arab compatriots: Why in the world do they choose to eat matzoh?
Advertisement:

Despite decades of uneasiness in their coexistence with the Jewish majority, Israel’s Arabs have developed a love affair with matzoh, the dry, crunchy wafers that observant Jews eat as a substitute for leavened bread during the weeklong Passover holiday.

Weeks in advance, Arab-owned stores across Israel stock up on matzoh, knowing their customers will clean it out.

The matzoh craving among Israel’s Arab citizens — about 20 percent of the population — reflects their ambiguous place in the Jewish state. While they speak Hebrew, carry Israeli passports and wear Israeli brands, many say they suffer discrimination and identify themselves as Palestinians.

Still, they love matzoh.

“We eat it from the start of the holiday to the end, and when we run out we buy more,” said Umaima Igbaria, a 35-year-old Muslim woman who lugged a carton of matzoh out of a supermarket in the Arab town of Umm el-Fahm in northern Israel.

She said she, her husband and their three sons all eat matzoh, usually with tea and slathered with chocolate sauce. She said they didn’t care if it was “Jewish food.”

Inside the store, a 5-foot-tall (1.5-meter-tall) stack of matzoh boxes stood in the entryway, all that remained of the more than 4 tons that owner Tariq Ifin ordered for the holiday, which began Monday night. He had no doubts the rest would sell.

In the Passover tradition, matzoh commemorates the biblical story of the Jews fleeing Egypt so quickly they had no time to let their bread rise. Jews also consider matzoh poor man’s bread, eaten to remind them of their ancestors’ hardships. Few consider it a culinary delight.

“I don’t like it much, but it’s part of the holiday,” said Simon Mizrahi, 44, an observant Jew from Jerusalem who eats his matzoh with soup, cheese or butter.

Mizrahi said matzoh doesn’t fill him up like bread, and he worries its carbs will make him fat. Many other Jews share his ambivalence, recognizing its traditional role while saying they get tired of it.

To prevent matzoh burnout, many have developed alternative recipes. Some stir crushed matzoh into warm milk or coffee to make porridge. Others add an Italian twist, topping it with tomato sauce and cheese to make matzoh-pizza or substituting it for noodles to make matzoh lasagna, or “matzagna.”

Outside of the holiday, few eat it and few stores stock it. Many say they wouldn’t eat it if they had other options.

Thus their surprise when informed that Israel’s Muslim and Christian Arabs — who don’t observe Passover and can eat any bread they like — choose matzoh.

The answer to the mystery is simple, said Arabs in several mainly Arab towns in Israel. They just like the taste.

“The kids love it. They eat it like cookies,” said Wisad Jamil, a 43-year-old woman lugging a carton of matzoh and tub of chocolate spread to her car for her husband and five kids at the Umm el-Fahm store.

“Don’t the Jews eat our bread? Fine, we eat their matzoh,” she said.

Indeed, the mixing goes both ways, with Arab dishes like hummus and felafel now favorites of Jewish Israelis. And during Passover, nonobservant Jews often turn to Arab shops for leavened bread, which disappears from most Jewish-owned stores in the season.

Ifin, the supermarket owner, said some of his Arab customers once refused matzoh on ideological grounds, though fewer do now because of years of mixing.

“You can’t say Arabs and Jews are one people, but we share the same land, so why not share the same food?” Ifin said.

While Israel’s 1.5 million Arabs hold citizenship and vote in elections, they strongly identify with their Palestinian brethren in the West Bank and Gaza Strip. Most still call themselves Palestinians.

Palestinians in the territories and east Jerusalem largely don’t share the matzoh craze, and shops there don’t sell it. Israel captured the predominantly Arab east Jerusalem in the 1967 Mideast war, and Palestinians claim it as the capital of their future state.

“We don’t like anything that comes from them,” said Jerusalem taxi driver Firas Salem, 27, when asked if he ate matzoh.

“And besides,” he said — expressing a sentiment shared by many Jews — “bread tastes better.”
Israel - Matzo No Treat for Jews, But Israel's Arabs Love It -- VosIzNeias.com

I love Matzah. Put some horseradish and Horoza (sp?, the apple stuff) and I could eat it all day. I even like if with butter on it.

Anyone who has been to Israel, as I have will see that, Israeli Arabs and Jews actually get along pretty well with each other.

See douche bags like PF Titmore and Shogun have never been their so its amazing that they pass themselves off as experts. I can't imagine either has much life experience having never left their parent's basement!

I love Matzah. Put some horseradish and Horoza (sp?, the apple stuff) and I could eat it all day. I even like if with butter on it.

Anyone who has been to Israel, as I have will see that, Israeli Arabs and Jews actually get along pretty well with each other.

See douche bags like PF Titmore and Shogun have never been their so its amazing that they pass themselves off as experts. I can't imagine either has much life experience having never left their parent's basement!

I support the one state solution and I believe Shogun does also.

I like it, but I also like saltines, which they are very much like.

I think for the Jewish population they identify it too much with the holiday. "This is the bread of affliction, which our forfathers carried out from Egypt." Say that often enough, and you forget it is pretty good stuff.

The only one state solution that works is a secular state where Islamists are forced to accept equality of women and men, freedom of speech (including the right to offend), and the right of Israeli's to exist within the areas they already live. Considering that no Islamists agree with that at the moment, the one state solution would fail if implemented today.

Last edited:
Matzo Brei is good. You briefly soak the matzo in water, drain it, then soak it in beaten eggs. Then you cook it in a frying pan with oil or butter, like you would scrambled eggs. Top it with granulated sugar, yummy.

The only one state solution that works is a secular state where Islamists are forced to accept equality of women and men, freedom of speech (including the right to offend), and the right of Israeli's to exist within the areas they already live. Considering that no Islamists agree with that at the moment, the one state solution would fail if implemented today.

I don't see that much of a problem. Only about 5% of Palestinians want to live in an Islamic state. I believe the number of Israelis who want to live in a Jewish state is higher. Both countries have religious extremists. There again I think Israel has more.

Hamas has stated the it has no problem with Jews. It is the occupation that it opposes. Slalam Fayyad has stated that if Jewish settlements fall inside any future Palestinian state that they need not be dismantled. The Jews can stay on as Palestinian citizens. There are already Jews living in Palestine with more rights than Muslims or Christians in Israel.

Even in Gaza women can drive cars with their hair in the breeze, They have high positions in government. They own homes, farms, and businesses.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q9_Y2-a1w8]YouTube - Birzeit University-Elections[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2mKQl2vh30]YouTube - ‫??? ???? ?????? ????? ?????? - ????? ??????‬‎[/ame]

I don't see that much of a problem. Only about 5% of Palestinians want to live in an Islamic state. I believe the number of Israelis who want to live in a Jewish state is higher. Both countries have religious extremists. There again I think Israel has more.

Hamas has stated the it has no problem with Jews. It is the occupation that it opposes. Slalam Fayyad has stated that if Jewish settlements fall inside any future Palestinian state that they need not be dismantled. The Jews can stay on as Palestinian citizens. There are already Jews living in Palestine with more rights than Muslims or Christians in Israel.

Even in Gaza women can drive cars with their hair in the breeze, They have high positions in government. They own homes, farms, and businesses.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q9_Y2-a1w8]YouTube - Birzeit University-Elections[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2mKQl2vh30]YouTube - ‫??? ???? ?????? ????? ?????? - ????? ??????‬‎[/ame]
Hamas has stated no such thing but Palestinian governments have a history of lies and double standards and false promises, and when there was a 'Palestinian state' you broke the cease fire by firing rockets into Israel.

As for this Palestinian authority or rather islamo-fascists. Your Arafat said on one hand to Jews he didn't want to destroy Israel while saying he wanted to destroy Israel when it suited him politically.

What fantasy do you live in? This is what state owned (meaning owned by Hamas) thinks about Jews:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi-c6lbFGC4&feature=related]YouTube - Hamas Mickey Mouse Teaches Terror to Kids[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LaAvZp7EP4&feature=related[/ame]
That you delude yourself to thinking that Hamas or Fatah would accept anything other than the destruction of Israel and the establishment of an Islamic state (in accordance with their constitution) of 'Palestine' is quite pathetic. :lol:

Last edited:

Hamas has stated no such thing but Palestinian governments have a history of lies and double standards and false promises, and when there was a 'Palestinian state' you broke the cease fire by firing rockets into Israel.

As for this Palestinian authority or rather islamo-fascists. Your Arafat said on one hand to Jews he didn't want to destroy Israel while saying he wanted to destroy Israel when it suited him politically.

What fantasy do you live in? This is what state owned (meaning owned by Hamas/Fatah) thinks about Jews:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi-c6lbFGC4&feature=related]YouTube - Hamas Mickey Mouse Teaches Terror to Kids[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LaAvZp7EP4&feature=related]YouTube - Hamas Indoctrinating Toddlers[/ame]
That you delude yourself to thinking that Hamas or Fatah would accept anything other than the destruction of Israel and the establishment of an Islamic state (in accordance with their constitution) of 'Palestine' is quite pathetic. :lol:

THE AMENDED BASIC LAW
PUBLISHED IN THE OFFICIAL GAZETTE ON: MARCH 19, 2003

Article (2)
The People is the source of power, which shall be exercised through the legislative, executive, and judicial authorities, based on the principle of separation of powers, and in the manner set forth in this Basic Law.

TITLE TWO
PUBLIC RIGHTS & FREEDOMS
Article (9)
All Palestinians are equal under the law and judiciary, without discrimination because of race, sex, color, religion, political views, or disability.

Article (18)
Freedom of belief, worship, and performance of religious rituals are guaranteed, provided that they do not violate public order or public morals.

YouTube - Birzeit University-Elections
YouTube - ‫??? ???? ?????? ????? ?????? - ????? ??????‬‎

What fantasy do you live in? This is what state owned (meaning owned by Hamas/Fatah) thinks about Jews:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LaAvZp7EP4&feature=related]YouTube - Hamas Indoctrinating Toddlers[/ame]

THE AMENDED BASIC LAW

Article (2)
The People is the source of power, which shall be exercised through the legislative, executive, and judicial authorities, based on the principle of separation of powers, and in the manner set forth in this Basic Law.

TITLE TWO
PUBLIC RIGHTS & FREEDOMS
Article (9)
All Palestinians are equal under the law and judiciary, without discrimination because of race, sex, color, religion, political views, or disability.

Article (18)
Freedom of belief, worship, and performance of religious rituals are guaranteed, provided that they do not violate public order or public morals.
Now meet reality:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxHZCJy8RGI]YouTube - Persecution of Palestinian Christians by Palestinian Muslims[/ame]

YouTube - Hamas Mickey Mouse Teaches Terror to Kids
YouTube - Hamas Indoctrinating Toddlers

THE AMENDED BASIC LAW

Article (2)

TITLE TWO
PUBLIC RIGHTS & FREEDOMS
Article (9)

Article (18)
Now meet reality:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxHZCJy8RGI]YouTube - Persecution of Palestinian Christians by Palestinian Muslims[/ame]

One time deal. What else do you have?

THE AMENDED BASIC LAW

Article (2)

TITLE TWO
PUBLIC RIGHTS & FREEDOMS
Article (9)

Article (18)
Now meet reality:

The whole Palestinian Christian community if you want.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/11/world/middleeast/11christians.html

Last edited:
Looks like a great place to make a FORTUNE doing Brazilian wax jobs.

Attachments

• $wifes.jpg
    $wifes.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 59

While it is hard to gauge what role intimidation and nationalist sensibilities play, there is widespread denial of any official persecution. Some prominent Christians praise the Hamas leadership for allowing the Christian community its religious freedom and conducting itself in a more honorable fashion than the previous government did.

“The Christians are happier now, with Hamas, than in the period before,” said Jeries Khoury, the Christian director of Al Liqa, an institute for religious studies. “They are respected. Of course people are still leaving, but Hamas, or ‘the Muslims,’ are the last reason for that.”

Claudette Habesch, secretary general of Caritas Jerusalem, a branch of the international Catholic relief organization, said that Ismail Haniya, the Palestinian prime minister from Hamas, “is a very civilized man.” She added, “He has gained a lot of respect from the community at large.”

To explain their troubles, many Palestinians point to the economic hardship and unemployment caused by the cutoff of outside aid and Israeli security measures that bar most Palestinians from working inside Israel; the disruptions from internal Palestinian instability and lawlessness; and in some cases, corrupt elements connected with the secular Fatah party that dominated the Palestinian Authority for the decade before 2006.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/11/world/middleeast/11christians.html?_r=1

Thanks for the link.

Is this true, Tinmore, that you have never been to Israel? How can you be an expert on this land, if you have never even been there? Since you have dedicated your life to bashing Israel, you should at least visit there! Shogun too.

Is this true, Tinmore, that you have never been to Israel? How can you be an expert on this land, if you have never even been there? Since you have dedicated your life to bashing Israel, you should at least visit there! Shogun too.

Maybe I can take one of those free propaganda tours. Israel is always trying to sell itself as a legitimate state.

There are "experts" on the Ottoman Empire here too and I am sure none have ever been there.

The whole Palestinian Christian community if you want.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/11/world/middleeast/11christians.html

While it is hard to gauge what role intimidation and nationalist sensibilities play, there is widespread denial of any official persecution. Some prominent Christians praise the Hamas leadership for allowing the Christian community its religious freedom and conducting itself in a more honorable fashion than the previous government did.

“The Christians are happier now, with Hamas, than in the period before,” said Jeries Khoury, the Christian director of Al Liqa, an institute for religious studies. “They are respected. Of course people are still leaving, but Hamas, or ‘the Muslims,’ are the last reason for that.”

Claudette Habesch, secretary general of Caritas Jerusalem, a branch of the international Catholic relief organization, said that Ismail Haniya, the Palestinian prime minister from Hamas, “is a very civilized man.” She added, “He has gained a lot of respect from the community at large.”

To explain their troubles, many Palestinians point to the economic hardship and unemployment caused by the cutoff of outside aid and Israeli security measures that bar most Palestinians from working inside Israel; the disruptions from internal Palestinian instability and lawlessness; and in some cases, corrupt elements connected with the secular Fatah party that dominated the Palestinian Authority for the decade before 2006.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/11/world/middleeast/11christians.html?_r=1

Thanks for the link.
Only reason I picked the article is that it had a good bit on Christian persecution by your Muslim Arab friends.
Samir Qumsieh, a Christian advocate and manager of Bethlehem’s private Al Mahed, or Nativity, television station, said he had repeatedly appealed to Mr. Abbas, and his predecessor, Yasir Arafat, to stop the land thefts.

Mr. Qumsieh, a controversial figure in his community, has spoken out widely in the Western news media about what he calls the “dirty mafia.” Two firebombs were thrown in his yard last August, and though no one was hurt he is now extremely cautious about how he will be quoted. But he underlined that there was no “official persecution,” and that Hamas had not taken any land.

Other Bethlehem Palestinians say the problem with land theft has been going on since 1994, when the Palestinian Authority was established. They say it involves local figures closely connected with Fatah. A spokesman for the Palestinian Authority police in Bethlehem said that three Muslims were under investigation on suspicion of land theft, and dismissed talk of Fatah involvement as “just rumors.”

Land has become an issue in Taybeh, too. Up to three-quarters of the village lands are owned by exiles, said the Rev. Raed Abusahlia, an energetic parish priest for the Latin Patriarchate, an arm of the Latin Rite Roman Catholic Church in the Holy Land. No one is left to look after it, and the exiles’ descendants want to sell.

Father Raed considers living in the Holy Land a vocation, and sees preserving Taybeh’s land as his “next battle,” though buying it all would cost millions of dollars that the village does not have, he said.

“We are not fanatic, but this is the only entirely Christian village left,” he said, adding, “Those who leave weaken those who stay.”

As for Mr. Massis, after his sons were discharged and their assailants got out of jail, a clan head from Hebron paid a visit, and symbolic compensation was paid. “The problem was settled,” Mr. Massis said.

The residents of Taybeh are now trying to buy the Hebron family out. “It’s not because they are Muslims,” Mr. Massis insisted. “It’s because they are troublemakers.”

Nevertheless, he revealed a degree of ambivalence about the Palestinian Christians’ long-term prospects in the area. “Their children call us atheists,” he said. “The illiterates who support Hamas look at us as foreigners, not Palestinians. Many of them look at us this way.”
^That's the bit you decided to remove (the main point of the article).:eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back