Matthew 6:5-8

5 “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7 And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

How does this apply to the insistence of religious conservatives on public prayer in secular settings?
This is in regards to the pharisees who were big on public shows of 'holiness' but yet hypocritically did not practice what they preached. Context matters when studying the Bible.

Christ prayed in private and publicly. God knows your heart, and when you pray seeking the praise of men, you have been given your reward.

Thank you.

How does this apply to the insistence of religious conservatives on public prayer in secular settings?
This is in regards to the pharisees who were big on public shows of 'holiness' but yet hypocritically did not practice what they preached. Context matters when studying the Bible.

Christ prayed in private and publicly. God knows your heart, and when you pray seeking the praise of men, you have been given your reward.

Thank you.
Darn my clear thinking and solid understanding!

Where have you seen this happen? Cause I sure haven't, it's been so vilified by the small minority that insist on vehemently having their way, that there is no such thing anymore. And isn't 'prayer rally' being a bit extreme? An over exaggeration? One prayer at the opening of an event is hardly a prayer rally. But, like I said, you don't even see that anymore.

Rarely in a school these days, but I've seen it often at city council meetings and community events in the South and in Utah. Was in a meeting a couple of weeks ago around community violence that was opened with prayer. I just sat there quietly. On one level, it doesn't bother me. On another level, though, I find it inconsiderate and a waste of everyone else's time. I was there for work, and I prefer to keep my work life and my spiritual life separate.

My guy is an officer in the Navy and sees it often when he's doing Navy activities.

We aren't anti-theists, by any stretch of the imagination (I hope you've picked up on that), but I don't take my work to their church. I'd prefer that they not bring their church to my work.

Last edited:
Prayer is your personal commuiction with God.

The versus you quote are about people who use public prayer as a means to brag about their Godliness.

Those people are not honored by God for such large showy productions if it is for some other purpose than to honor the Lord.

That being said I dont favor prayer at public events unless its church. God only hears those that seek him. If the prayer is just some prefunctory show to make Chrisitians feel better then its a waste of time.

Those versus in Mathew always make me think of Chrisitans that openly protest abortion clinics. Your payer in priivate is enough a public demonstrations will not help.

Forum List

Back