Matthew 6:5-8

Biblical? No.

Its just people of different faiths praying together to their god(s).

Why would you wish to engage in a behavior that directly contradicts your savior's directions on how to pray?

You are taking it out of context. AT a gathering one opens with a prayer and ends with a prayer. This too is in the bible.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but I can't think of what you are...

...well, there was the time that Jesus fed the 5000 and a time when he fed 4000 mentioned. He prayed publicly then. He also prayed publicly while on the cross.

So that I can get my hands around what you mean, can you give me an idea of any other times you were thinking of?

Immie

Why would you wish to engage in a behavior that directly contradicts your savior's directions on how to pray?

You are taking it out of context. AT a gathering one opens with a prayer and ends with a prayer. This too is in the bible.

...well, there was the time that Jesus fed the 5000 and a time when he fed 4000 mentioned. He prayed publicly then. He also prayed publicly while on the cross.

So that I can get my hands around what you mean, can you give me an idea of any other times you were thinking of?

Immie

A church gathering is a public meeting. One opens that with a Prayer and one ends it with a Prayer. This prayer is not an individual prayer but rather a prayer for God to recognize the GATHERING in his name.

Immie

A church gathering is a public meeting. One opens that with a Prayer and one ends it with a Prayer. This prayer is not an individual prayer but rather a prayer for God to recognize the GATHERING in his name.

A public gathering isn't a gathering in His name, you moron. A high school graduation ceremony isn't a GATHERING IN HIS NAME.
:cuckoo:

What? Im not a christian/catholic.

Have you misunderstood the premise of the thread? It's about the BIBLICAL basis for public prayers, not free speech or constitutional issues. If you'd like to discuss your own religion and its position on this subject, feel free to start another thread.

Excellent question Catz.

I'm not one for public prayer. I even feel uncomfortable when I am in a Bible Study and am asked to pray.

What I see when someone prays publicly is someone who is trying to prove to everyone else how godly he/she is. Not even trying to convert others, but like the parable of the Pharisee and the Tax Collector, Luke 18:9-14, I feel like I am listening to someone who is bragging about their faith.

9 To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everyone else, Jesus told this parable: 10 “Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.’

13 “But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’

14 “I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”

Prayer is personal to me and I am lousy at it. Even though I have suffered with several worries over the last two years, I don't know what to pray any longer.

Public prayer such as at the start of a NASCAR race as you used for an example doesn't really bother me nor does a prayer of invocation say at a graduation, but neither does it do anything for me.

Immie

Those verses are so awesome, so amazing, some of my favorite recently. I cannot meditate on them or share them enough.

Immie

First, I agree a church gathering is a public meeting. However, I do not think this discussion is about church gatherings. I believe catz and others are asking about prayer such as The National Day of Prayer that has been promoted by people like Focus on the Family for quite some time now or prayer out on the streets in front of non-believers.

What really turns me off are the prayers on the street for the "sinners" that are around the person praying.

Praying in small groups among like minded believers is one thing. Praying out in the open among people of other beliefs, loudly and obnoxiously is another.

Second, I can't think of anywhere in the Bible that discusses a church gathering as you mention. Maybe Paul does in one of his letters, but I don't recall that at the moment. I believe you are probably right when you talked about prayer in your first post, but, I can't think of a reference at the moment that backs it up.

Immie

I remember soon after I came to know the Lord, me and my family (mostly unbelievers) went out to eat at Noodles are Us or whatever it's called. In my passion for Christ, I said before the meal, "let pray." (yes, I know..pls read on, lol)

Afterward, my brother came to me (a little ticked off) and told me I shouldn't do that. As some other may have not wanted to pray.

I seriously did not even think about that, nor did I mean to offend anyone or hurt anyone. I was so joyous in the Lord, for all He's done for me, which is so undeserved, it just came out. When I was around believers in Christ, praying together is never an issue...but that was the issue in this situation, I wasn't with fellow believers.

My brother was right. Knowing they didn't believe as I did, I shouldn't have been so aggresive and pushy. (Learning as I go! :tongue:) And though at the time I didn't feel like I was doing it for "show", even so, God knows my heart, and perhaps I needed correction. Besides, God knows when we pray to Him, even without words. I didn't need to pray outwardly and/or say to others, "lets pray."

This topic just reminded me of it. After that, I've just prayed myself, and haven't done that or asked them again.

Funny thing is, and they are so sweet, after that, once in a while someone will chime in and ask, "Should we pray?" Amazing, that. God bless them : ) God's working on all of us, I never stop learning or stop being convicted.

that is fine at 'christian' gatherings...but not at public functions

A public function that is 80 percent Christians IS a Christian gathering. In my opinion.

And nothing in the Constitution prevents public prayer at PUBLIC meetings.

If your public function is in a courthouse, or a library, or a public school, you are violating separation of church and state by leading the group in christian prayers.

It's not a "Christian" gathering if 20% of those attending are non-christians. You are violating their rights.

Not surprising. You could care less. You're the majority.

If your public function is in a courthouse, or a library, or a public school, you are violating separation of church and state by leading the group in christian prayers.

It's not a "Christian" gathering if 20% of those attending are non-christians. You are violating their rights.

Not surprising. You could care less. You're the majority.

This isn't the thread you're looking for.

I remember soon after I came to know the Lord, me and my family (mostly unbelievers) went out to eat at Noodles are Us or whatever it's called. In my passion for Christ, I said before the meal, "let pray." (yes, I know..pls read on, lol)

Afterward, my brother came to me (a little ticked off) and told me I shouldn't do that. As some other may have not wanted to pray.

I seriously did not even think about that, nor did I mean to offend anyone or hurt anyone. I was so joyous in the Lord, for all He's done for me, which is so undeserved, it just came out. When I was around believers in Christ, praying together is never an issue...but that was the issue in this situation, I wasn't with fellow believers.

My brother was right. Knowing they didn't believe as I did, I shouldn't have been so aggresive and pushy. (Learning as I go! :tongue:) And though at the time I didn't feel like I was doing it for "show", even so, God knows my heart, and perhaps I needed correction. Besides, God knows when we pray to Him, even without words. I didn't need to pray outwardly and/or say to others, "lets pray."

This topic just reminded me of it. After that, I've just prayed myself, and haven't done that or asked them again.

Funny thing is, and they are so sweet, after that, once in a while someone will chime in and ask, "Should we pray?" Amazing, that. God bless them : ) God's working on all of us, I never stop learning or stop being convicted.

Good story. I'm glad you're learning to be less aggressive and pushy. Bravo.

Excellent question Catz.

I'm not one for public prayer. I even feel uncomfortable when I am in a Bible Study and am asked to pray.

What I see when someone prays publicly is someone who is trying to prove to everyone else how godly he/she is. Not even trying to convert others, but like the parable of the Pharisee and the Tax Collector, Luke 18:9-14, I feel like I am listening to someone who is bragging about their faith.

9 To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everyone else, Jesus told this parable: 10 “Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.’

13 “But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’

14 “I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”

Prayer is personal to me and I am lousy at it. Even though I have suffered with several worries over the last two years, I don't know what to pray any longer.

Public prayer such as at the start of a NASCAR race as you used for an example doesn't really bother me nor does a prayer of invocation say at a graduation, but neither does it do anything for me.

Immie

I completely understand what you're saying...i feel the exact same way. I'm not good at praying, but i do it all the time! I've always been uncomfortable if someone asks me to pray aloud. Not that i'm against it...it's just sometimes i have a hard time putting into words what i want to say. But God knows our mind and our hearts, so i know that when i can't put into words what i want to say, He still knows exactly what i'm wanting to say... :)

As for public prayer, i could never do it myself, and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. But I'm sure it does bother some people, because some people just can't overlook anything that has to do with their unbelief in God. But this has been happening almost for ever. Saying a prayer before a race i would see as asking God to protect the drivers...saying a prayer at graduation is asking God to protect the graduates as they go out into the real world (they'll need alot of help there!). But it really doesn't matter, i could sit in the stands at a race and say my own little prayer to God to protect them and i'm sure many do. God doesn't pick and choose the prayers he hears, he answers all.

As for public prayer, i could never do it myself, and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. But I'm sure it does bother some people, because some people just can't overlook anything that has to do with their unbelief in God. But this has been happening almost for ever. Saying a prayer before a race i would see as asking God to protect the drivers...saying a prayer at graduation is asking God to protect the graduates as they go out into the real world (they'll need alot of help there!). But it really doesn't matter, i could sit in the stands at a race and say my own little prayer to God to protect them and i'm sure many do. God doesn't pick and choose the prayers he hears, he answers all.

Based on the OP, what do you think God's opinion is of public prayers that make other people uncomfortable?

Biblical? No.

Its just people of different faiths praying together to their god(s).

I think the verse is outlining the reasons behind praying boastfully in public, to bring attention to yourself or for boastful resons is wrong. Marie explained it quite well I thought. I don't think it has to do with being public about your prayer, but rather why you're being public with your prayer. Bowing your head in public in prayer hardly fits the description shown in the scripture. My family, whenever we are at a public restaurant, always bow our heads in a quiet prayer before we eat. We aren't bothering anyone or forcing anyone else to particpate. I see nothing wrong with it, it's about giving thanks.

I think the verse is outlining the reasons behind praying boastfully in public, to bring attention to yourself or for boastful resons is wrong. Marie explained it quite well I thought. I don't think it has to do with being public about your prayer, but rather why you're being public with your prayer. Bowing your head in public in prayer hardly fits the description shown in the scripture. My family, whenever we are at a public restaurant, always bow our heads in a quiet prayer before we eat. We aren't bothering anyone or forcing anyone else to particpate. I see nothing wrong with it, it's about giving thanks.

In that sense, your prayer really is rather private.

Excellent question Catz.

Immie

I think that there is justification for prayer within a small group of believers. I mean, Christ broke bread during the Last Supper and blessed it. It could be argued that his prayer in John 17 was conducted WITH a small number of disciples.

Public prayer doesn't bother me, either, but it isn't biblical, and it could actually be argued to be anti-biblical. Given that, I wonder why some Christians insist on doing it. I suspect it is for the reason you gave (they want to be publicly recognized for their piety).

I don't think that's the case at all. Have you ever really read the Bible with understanding the context? There are many times in the Bible where you are told to openly praise God, and to spread His message as well. It all has to do with context. This verse is talking about being boastful in prayer, using it to garner attention to yourself instead of for its true purpose, to praise God.

In that sense, your prayer really is rather private.

But it's in a public place, as I said, it has to do with the reasons behind the prayer, not where the prayer itself is being done.

Based on the OP, what do you think God's opinion is of public prayers that make other people uncomfortable?

I think Newby explained it well...it all depends on your reasons for praying publicly. And how you do it. Saying a prayer in a restaurant, quietly, many people do this. Like i said, God knows what's in your mind and heart, so He knows what your intentions are. Someone can pray publicly and not be trying to get people to notice him, but praying for the sake of asking God to be there with them. maybe what would be a better idea is to give people a minute of silence so whoever wants to pray at an event can, without upsetting others. It's really a hard thing to answer, because for me i want to pray....but someone else won't want that, so maybe the silent time would be better so as not to offend others???

Forum List

Back