Matt 28:19

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by colehart, Jul 22, 2005.

1. colehart

colehart Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I know Christ said it, but do you "really" have to?
    When Baptism and salvation are mentioned in the same passage, Salvation is "always" mentioned after Baptism. Does this mean you have to be baptised to be saved? It all seems so clear , but I'm not sure.

2. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +618
    Must a child be baptised to be saved? Got yer answer? Yep..

3. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    There is not a requirement to be baptised to be saved. Now, every Christian in the Bible got baptized after they professed belief, but it was their faith that saved them, not the act of baptism.

4. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    I had the same question! I was "sprinkled" as a baby in the Catholic church. But when we were called to join the Church of Christ, they have a very strong emphasis on baptism by immersion. I really resisted this bc I believe that it is not your actions which save you.

But eventually, I did get immersed. After reading through the NT, every example of baptism describes a dunking. I still believe that you don't have to be immersed to be saved. But I think that, if we have the opportunity, it's clear that the Lord would like us to make this act of will to publicly proclaim our commitment to Him.

5. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    I don't know, but my father baptized my sister right after she was born when there was a fear she would die (she didn't). He did it with tapwater and he ain't no minister. But goes to show ya how strong the belief is.

Me, I've probably worn off my own baptism. I'd need to hop in a Deep Sea Bell and go down a thousand feet to be redeemed!

6. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    When the robber hung beside Jesus on the cross and asked to be remembered, Jesus didn't say, "Gosh, I'd like to, but you're not baptised. Hope you like the smell of sulphur." He said, "Today, you will surely be in paradise."

Baptism is an expression, not a requirement. I, personally, think WAY too many people place too much emphasis on rituals when, in fact, all the rituals are just observances and expressions not necessary for salvation.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  7. -Cp

-Cp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +363
    :clap: :clap:

8. Powerman

Powerman Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Saved from what? I don't get this new terminology about being saved all of a sudden.

9. colehart

colehart Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The terminology is not new. You just seem to be unfamiliar with it. It's called sin. You must be in the right relationship with Christ to talk with him through prayer. You get there by being baptised for the forgiveness of your past sins. As the scriptures say "All have sinned".