Math wizards step right in here

JGalt

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2011
It's been decades since I went to college and my math skills were never that good. What I'm trying to do is take two given numbers and find the evenly spaced numbers in between, resulting in a string of ten evenly spaced numbers.

In other words, given the numbers 28.6 and 32.0, how would I produce a string of numbers evenly spaced between them, that would result in ten numbers

Kinda like this:

28.6 - ??.? - ??.? - ??.? - ??.? - ??.? - ??.? - ??.? - ??.? - 32.0

Notice that the string is an even number. It would be easy if it were an odd number, because I could just find the median between the first and last numbers.

It's been decades since I went to college and my math skills were never that good. What I'm trying to do is take two given numbers and find the evenly spaced numbers in between, resulting in a string of ten evenly spaced numbers.

In other words, given the numbers 28.6 and 32.0, how would I produce a string of numbers evenly spaced between them, that would result in ten numbers

Kinda like this:

Notice that the string is an even number. It would be easy if it were an odd number, because I could just find the median between the first and last numbers.

Just keep reducing. Start by reducing the difference of 4.6 in half. Then reduce 2.3 both direction from the middle.

Last edited:
Add 0.4 to each number.

28.6 - 29.0 - 29.4 - 29.8 - 30.2 - 30.6 - 31.0 - 30.4 - 30.8 - 32.0

eerrrrrrrrrr...what was the question? :)

He wants ten digits, though.

Hey, it's a change of pace anyway. I like threads like this.

Add 0.4 to each number.

28.6 - 29.0 - 29.4 - 29.8 - 30.2 - 30.6 - 31.0 - 30.4 - 30.8 - 32.0

eerrrrrrrrrr...what was the question? :)

How the heck did you figure that out? I must have slept through third grade math.
:laughing0301:

Thanks!

That works out pretty well. What I'm going is working up a load for an old WW2 era 6.5mm Japanese rifle with a 140 grain projectile. I have a load worked up with IMR 3031 powder but I ran low on that, so I'm using IMR 4064 powder instead.

The Hornady handloading manual says to use a starting charge of 28.6 grains of 4064 for a velocity of 2100fps, and work up to 34.0 grains for a velocity of 2600 fps. Except that I have ten banks of five empty cases and don't want to load those up to full velocity.

Normally when working up a load, you increase the powder by 1/10 of a grain at a time. But since I'm not working up to full velocity, a 0.4 grain increment per step would probably be ok, as long as I chronograph each round to make sure they're down around where they should be.

Kinda like this:

32-28.6=3.4/8=.425

You start with 28.6 + x to get the next number in sequence. Then you add 28.6 + 2x to get the third number and so on.

You end up with 28.6 + 8x = 32 - x

28.6 + 9x = 32

9x = 3.4

x = 3.4/9

Forum List

Back