Massive string of lies moves the market up.

so 30 billion to foreign banks right? Or was it 30 Million? Either way you think that the money went from like AIG to a foreign bank to someone, who then bought stocks to keep the market from plunging?

I think betting the farm based on what the economy is going to do, when there is so much government intervention happening -- government intervention which is by fiat and not really predictable -- is an act that is fraught with peril.

I'm not an investor, so I don't have a dog in this fight, but this is not your normal "free" market.

I wouldn't count too awful much on the standard metrics that one uses to evaluate a normal market.

edit could you imagine what would happen if the government sat on their hands and did nothing. i would guarantee you that it would be a hell of alot worse.

Yeah, no argument from me on that point.

Nevertheless, given that the times are somewhat unusual, given that the government is now doing things that so effect the market, and given that those decisions are NOT predictable, betting on what they will do, and how that will play out in the market seems like a very risky thing to do.

And you know, when I say risky, I mean it might be just as risky NOT to bet the farm, too.

There is just no telling how things are going to play out, I think.

Perhaps if you had insider information about what the government might or might not do, you could more safely decide, but few of us have that straight dope, do we?

Last edited:
I watched Boiler Room today! Great Flick!

People still do that today.

They pump up someone on a penny stock and tell them that it's going to double if not triple and they need to get on board NOW! They artifically inflate demand for the stock, raising its price and then BOOM! sell it off for a huge profit and leave the other guy out there in the dust who's lost everything.

They pump up someone on a penny stock and tell them that it's going to double if not triple and they need to get on board NOW! They artifically inflate demand for the stock, raising its price and then BOOM! sell it off for a huge profit and leave the other guy out there in the dust who's lost everything.
I am sure they do!

you would be best to do what i have learned to do with neubarth posts, ignore them. he doesnt know what the heck he's talk about. once we get a positive gdp number he will be OMG POSITIVE GDP GROWTH. i dont think he understands what he read sometimes. i personally think the this market rally will probably go to 8,000.

You have shown yourself to be the most uneducated person on this board Hamburger man.

Why don't you read about the economic indicators. This is the most dramatic fall into Depression in the history of the world. It far exceeds 1929 in rate of decay. The Fed announcing that they are going to buy DEBT simply shows us that they have now played their last card. If it does not work, we are facing ten years of Depression.

The Fed announced it's going to buy treasuries. That's what the Fed does, Neubarth. As far as the mortgage backed securities they're buying, they're no different from the ones they've already put on their balance sheet. To say this means we're looking at a 10 year depression is a bit ridiculous. If we see a 10 year depression it will be because of a hell of a lot more than the Fed buying MBS and treasuries.

You just described how a bubble inflates and bursts.

You just described how a bubble inflates and bursts.
pretty much but I think he is talking about how in the movie, there was no company in the first place.

Forum List

Back