Massive Seal Extermination in Canada

sitarro

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2003
USA
Well Oh Canada ,
Is this the same country that constantly criticizes the United States for wanting to open up a few acres of ANWR for drilling ? They piss and moan about the declining population of polar bears and then allow "hunters" to "cull" 975,000 seals in the next 3 years ? These mighty men from the North club baby seals and often skin them alive because they don't want to bother using a bullet to make sure the animal is dead . Why are they doing this ? The fucking Chinese want the bloody skins .
Canadians that allow this barbaric practice to continue have nothing to say to us about anything , especially the drilling in ANWR.

http://www.thisislondon.com/news/articles/17571222?source=Evening Standard

Massive seal cull begins
By Paul Sims, Evening Standard
30 March 2005

Thousands of hunters armed with clubs, rifles and spears have begun the world's largest seal cull on the ice floes off eastern Canada.

Turning the ice red with blood, they killed hundreds of pups during the first day of the annual harp seal hunt.

The cull, which has been the target of protests since the 1960s, will mean the slaughter of up to 320,000 young seals on the floes and islands around Quebec's les de la Madeleine in the Gulf of St Lawrence.

It's just horrific out there," said Rebecca Aldworth of the Humane Society of the United States. "There is blood all across the ice and seal carcasses as far as the eye can see. We've seen seals that were moving around and breathing, that have been left in these piles, some left conscious and crawling."

Animal rights campaigners, who claim the pups are often skinned alive, have begun a boycott of Canadian seafood products and are planning protests until the end of the cull on 15 May.

Despite an import ban imposed in the United States and the European Union, a growth in demand for seal pelts from eastern Europe and China led the Canadian government to issue a quota in 2003 that allows hunters to kill 975,000 seals over three years.

Canada says the seal population is "healthy and abundant" and three times the size it was in the Seventies. :finger: :finger: :finger:

• Thanks
Reactions: -Cp
the hypocrisy....

But you know, frankly, Canada is often hypocritical. Canadian companies have helped India and Pakistan both gain nuclear technology.

sitarro said:
Well Oh Canada ,
Is this the same country that constantly criticizes the United States for wanting to open up a few acres of ANWR for drilling ? They piss and moan about the declining population of polar bears and then allow "hunters" to "cull" 975,000 seals in the next 3 years ? These mighty men from the North club baby seals and often skin them alive because they don't want to bother using a bullet to make sure the animal is dead . Why are they doing this ? The fucking Chinese want the bloody skins .
Canadians that allow this barbaric practice to continue have nothing to say to us about anything , especially the drilling in ANWR.

I know this is a disgusting practice, and can be done more humanely, but thousands of people survived off income from seal skins and meat. The ban did not stop poachers, and now the population is out of control.

Said1 said:
I know this is a disgusting practice, and can be done more humanely, but thousands of people survived off income from seal skins and meat. The ban did not stop poachers, and now the population is out of control.

So the meat is used? Nothing was said in the article about that and I have always wondered . I can't imagine how bad seal meat would taste , I have never had any wild game that I liked .
I hope you know that my criticism isn't directed at you Said , you are obviously extremely thoughtful and I have a great respect for your opinions.

sitarro said:
So the meat is used? Nothing was said in the article about that and I have always wondered . I can't imagine how bad seal meat would taste , I have never had any wild game that I liked .
I hope you know that my criticism isn't directed at you Said , you are obviously extremely thoughtful and I have a great respect for your opinions.

In some cases the meat is used, some cases it's probably wasted. Like I said, there is more humane ways to hunt the animals, I won't argue that, but there are other things invovled with banning the hunt too. I also know you're comments weren't directed at me, but thanks for saying so anyway! :)

I've posted this before, but it bears repeating, I think.

A seal walks in to a bar. Bartender says, "What'll you have?" Seal says, "Anything but a Canadian club!"

musicman said:

A seal walks in to a bar. Bartender says, "What'll you have?" Seal says, "Anything but a Canadian club!"

I have REALLY bad eye sight, and when I saw the thread title, I thought it said "massive sex experiment in Canada". DOH!! Don't tell anyone, kay?

musicman said:

As pissed as I was at seeing the aerial photos of the bloody ice , I still had to laugh at that one . . . very good.

Harp seal tastes like manatee! (or like bald eagle, depending on how you cook 'em)

I think we should od the same to Canadian Geese....they are a frigging nuisance! Carp with wings...no useful purpose for society!!! KILL CANADIAN GEESE IN PROTEST!

Fmr jarhead said:
Harp seal tastes like manatee! (or like bald eagle, depending on how you cook 'em)

I think we should od the same to Canadian Geese....they are a frigging nuisance! Carp with wings...no useful purpose for society!!! KILL CANADIAN GEESE IN PROTEST!

Somebody was killing them, and feeding them to the homeless.

Fmr jarhead said:

I see you have fallen victim to the same ignorance of the species name as most . . . they are not Canadian Geese (they aren't Canadian citizens ) , they are called Canada Geese . You're just pissed because they can easily out fly any jarhead pilot . Get a Border Collie like many of the golf courses up north , they enjoy chasing them and the Canada Geese leave for other places without dogs. Of course then you will have border Collie shit everywhere . :salute: :happy2:

sitarro said:
I see you have fallen victim to the same ignorance of the species name as most . . . they are not Canadian Geese (they aren't Canadian citizens ) , they are called Canada Geese . You're just pissed because they can easily out fly any jarhead pilot . Get a Border Collie like many of the golf courses up north , they enjoy chasing them and the Canada Geese leave for other places without dogs. Of course then you will have border Collie shit everywhere . :salute: :happy2:

Funny I was just watching a hidef channel thing on the the Blue Angels....Marine Corps pilots flying with squids.....and I also saw one of them thar Corsairs chew up a Canadian Goose (and it is a foriegner...I don't understand it's language) in the intake.....goose shredder!

Fmr jarhead said:
Funny I was just watching a hidef channel thing on the the Blue Angels....Marine Corps pilots flying with squids.....and I also saw one of them thar Corsairs chew up a Canadian Goose (and it is a foriegner...I don't understand it's language) in the intake.....goose shredder!

Now Pappy Boyington could fly , he seriously kicked some Japanese ass. :salute:

I have this signed photo on the wall in my office, from Boyington's wingman!

Attachments

• $s wingman.jpg
    $s wingman.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 56

Forum List

Back