Massive Roman Mosaic Discovered in Turkey

Yeah that is interesting given that Rome was only founded roughly 200 years before these mosaics were created.

But of course there was plenty of trade between the early Romans and the Hellens who then controlled Turkey, so this mosaic in and of itself isn't exactly an earth shaking event, I suspect.

However, if there rest of those ruins are shown to have very specific ROMAN elements, then that suggests that Romans were seeding colonies much earlier than originally thought.

Yeah that is interesting given that Rome was only founded roughly 200 years before these mosaics were created.

But of course there was plenty of trade between the early Romans and the Hellens who then controlled Turkey, so this mosaic in and of itself isn't exactly an earth shaking event, I suspect.

However, if there rest of those ruins are shown to have very specific ROMAN elements, then that suggests that Romans were seeding colonies much earlier than originally thought.

The story says it's from 3rd-4th century AD, not BC. At that point the area had been part of the Roman Empire for 250-350 years.

Last edited:
Interesting to me that it was in a city. Almost all Roman "Villas" had mosaic floors and walls, but that large an area in a city, and because villas were more rurally located, might've been in a public bath. If so there would've been a public water source

Last edited:

Romans were in the island of Britain by the rein of Claudius, in 43 AD with a huge presence from then until the 5th century AD. The baths at Aqua Sullis (Bath England), a huge project, were built between 60-70 AD. The empire had expanded into Asia Minor (Turkey) making it a part of the Roman Empire in 100 AD.. A

And sorry Ed, but Rome was created 1100 years before these mosaics, and the empire pretty much in 30 BC at the death of Antony and the Principate under Augustus., the first man who qualified to be called emperor. I think you must have been thinking of the renaming/rebuilding of the city of Byzantium into Constantinople in 324, a reasonable error.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back