MASSIVE Piercings & Tattoos - Why?

Bonzi

Diamond Member
May 17, 2015
Anyone have multiple or numerous piercings or tattoos...?

If so, why do you like to have so many? Is it for looks or for statement?
If you don't, why do you think others do this?
Why do you think professional athletes do it?

Inquiring minds wanna know!

In my 58 years on this planet I've never seen a graphic image I would impose upon myself in the form of a scar that eventually I would have to show St. Peter. Tattoos are the mistake made during a youthful slavishness to fashion that wears thin with age.

I graduated high school in 1975. If you look at the yearbook photos from that age, you will note that we dressed like washed up golf pros or from a closet with no lights. Such were the fashions of the mid 70s.

Scarring yourself for fashion's sake is akin to wearing plaid bell bottoms forever.

I've seen young folks who look as if they fell face first into a bin of office supplies. Wanna explain that to the plastic surgeon thirty years hence when all those faces will require lifting?

Last edited:
In my 58 years on this planet I've never seen a graphic image I would impose upon myself in the form of a scar that eventually I would have to show St. Peter. Tattoos are the mistake made during a youthful slavishness to fashion that wears thin with age.

I graduated high school in 1975. If you look at the yearbook photos from that age, you will note that we dressed like washed up golf pros or from a closet with no lights. Such wear the fashions of the mid 70s.

Scarring yourself for fashion's sake is akin to wearing plaid bell bottoms forever.

I've seen young folks who look as if they fell face first into a bin of office supplies. Wanna explain that to the plastic surgeon thirty years hence when all those faces will require lifting?

Seriously Nosmo, you MUST at least consider a career in Comedy!!!! :)

I just want to understand... is it REALLY all just about trend and fashion???

:dunno: because when it comes to both topics I am more than ready to admit to being utterly clueless.

I am a guy and I see things in 16 primary colors. Taupe and persimmon are foreign concepts to me.

So I really don't care what anyone else wants to do with their own body since it is theirs to do with as they see fit.

Just my 2 cents worth.

:dunno: because when it comes to both topics I am more than ready to admit to being utterly clueless.

I am a guy and I see things in 16 primary colors. Taupe and persimmon are foreign concepts to me.

So I really don't care what anyone else wants to do with their own body since it is theirs to do with as they see fit.

Just my 2 cents worth.

I agree 100%

......but I still would like to understand the mind of someone that likes to have this done to their body. maybe it's as simple as why someone likes certain clothes... but this is permanent and often painful, so, I think there has to be more to it... than picking out a pair of shoes....

Personally I dont have any tatts or piercings.
But I can understand someone getting the wifes name or possibly their childs name inked.
I wouldnt mind the Texans :texflag: emblem on my calf but with the propensity of teams moving now days I'm not sure I'd risk it.

It certainly seems to be the mindset of the present hijacking the possibility of future change, at least with tattoos. Piercings would close, I guess.
I don't get it and can't imagine ever doing it.
It is a turn-off.

I regard piercings and tattoos as a sign the person doesn't like themselves. "I don't like myself so I'm gonna punch holes in my body and subject myself to lengthy procedures where I'm tortured."

Nowadays tats and piercings are so common if you want people to notice you go without. "Wow, they have nothing at all!" (stare stare oggle) :)

One of my neighbors is a young woman with so many piercings in her ear it looks as if you could tear off the outer edge of her ear with the same ease you might tear a single postage stamp out of a booklet of them. She has pierced the ears of her seven month old daughter too, although with mercy as the child has but one piercing per ear.

Pierced ears on a baby is tantamount to gliding a lily. Babies have naturally attractive faces. No need to draw further attention to them. That being said, my nephew, as an infant, looked like a miniature Winston Churchill. As he grew out of infancy and into an active toddler, the boy morphed into what could be a strong contender in a Shemp Howard look-alike contest. He has my brother's genes to thank, or damn.

It does make you wonder what the kids of the tattooed and body pierced generation are going to do to freak out their parents.

Submitted without comment....

I have several tattoos.

I don't have them for fashion and in fact most people don't even know I have any.

I have several tattoos.

I don't have them for fashion and in fact most people don't even know I have any.

So you have them just because you like them? They are meaningful? I'm not judging, just curious...

I don't have any tats, but I do have some carvings.

Tattoos can be rebellion, art, political or philosophical statements, the reasons are going to change from individual to individual. I do think that people should be careful about their tats because of how they may change over time.

I have several tattoos.

So you have them just because you like them? They are meaningful? I'm not judging, just curious...

my tattoos are of animals I feel a connection with. Totems if you will
This is about the best reason I've ever heard someone use. A totally personal meaning, and completely understandable in its context.
I would never get one and cannot understand the ostentatious application many make, but this somehow seems fine.

It does make you wonder what the kids of the tattooed and body pierced generation are going to do to freak out their parents.
That's pretty much it.

The parents of 20-somethings today came of age during the 70s, hair, clothes (or the lack thereof), and music provided ample opportunity to freak out one's parents who came of age during the 40s.

So what's a young person today going to do to freak out his parents who came of age during the 70s: piercings and tattoos.

I have several tattoos.

my tattoos are of animals I feel a connection with. Totems if you will
This is about the best reason I've ever heard someone use. A totally personal meaning, and completely understandable in its context.
I would never get one and cannot understand the ostentatious application many make, but this somehow seems fine.

Getting a tattoo for a loved one or a personal meaning is one thing, but the kind that cover the body etc. I guess there is no reason (or doesn't have to be a reason) - but I will say that if psychological research was done, (and maybe it has been done) - there is a certain "type" of personality of people that get many tattoos and piercings etc.

Forum List

Back