Massive deployment planned in 28 days

ok this is getting me scared im only 14 and i have my whole life ahead of me. Are you guys saying that in like a year or so there could be a wwiii(jesus there have been 2 already?). im not ready to fucking die! aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!
:bow3: :sausage: :dev3: :splat: :piss2:

hello everybody! I've been allowed 30 minutes online by my lead supervisor here on day 9 of our deployment in support of Operation Summer Pulse 2004. This deployment has definitely proven the Kitty Hawk well deserves its target date of 2008 for decomissioning. She's really showing her age, at a cost of 1.25 million dollars a day to the US gov't (when out to sea, that's how much it costs to keep the Kitty Hawk deployed). We've had lots of really maddening, crazy things happen so far, and we haven't even really started our main missions for the underway period... so god knows what will happen in the coming weeks. i'm getting really familiar with firefighting techniques though :)., i love being in a repair locker (which is sort of like a volunteer fire company onboard the ship, there are 8-12 at any given time).

i don't see any chance the Hawk could be outfitted with nuclear propulsion. the other conventional carrier, the JFK, out of Mayport, Florida (its in the Middle East this summer) is also in really bad structural shape and showing its age much to the detriment of the crew's hard work and effort.

the kitty hawk is slated to be replaced in the fleet by the George H.W. Bush around 2007 or 2008, much like the Constellation was replaced by the Ronald Reagan last year.

onboard the ship, morale is really bad right now (the air wing/squadron people always hate being out to sea on this ship, but now everybody's got that attitude on this deployment) because of the issues we've been having the past week and the uncertainty of what next to go wrong over the coming weeks. we'll pull through, people are just really nervous right now. according to Asian media sources,we're going to be participating in the RIMPAC exercises next month with Australian, Japanese and South Korean naval forces.

hope you all enjoy your summer.

Not so much with NK, as China:

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/edit/archives/2004/07/29/2003180905

Excerpt:

The question is how to define the status quo. In the Taiwan Strait, the term has two levels of meaning. The first level is how Taiwan, China and the US interpret the phrase.

For the US, the status quo is based in its "one China" policy, in which it seeks to maintain a situation of "no unification, no independence, no conflict, no peace [treaty]," which in its own estimation best meets US interests in the region. On this basis it encourages cross-strait dialogue, breaking down prejudice and building consensus to create a stable political environment.

For China, status quo means discussing issues such as direct links under the "one China" principle, preparatory to unification under a "one country, two systems" structure.

And for Taiwan, the status quo means that China and Taiwan are two sovereign entities and that Beijing should accept this fact prior to entering negotiations on issues such as direct links.

The second level of the meaning of "status quo" refers to what the various parties want to achieve within their definitions of the term.

Since there is no consensus or common ground between China and Taiwan on what it means to maintain the status quo, the policy pursued by both sides has only deepened mutual sus-picions. Beijing believes that Taipei is pursuing independence under the cover of maintaining the status quo, and the political environment that has emerged after the recent presidential election tends to reinforce this view.

From Taiwan's perspective, China's attempts to isolate it politically and economically are a result of Beijing's insistence on "one China" and its efforts toward unification.

As the two sides of the Strait become increasingly suspicious of each other, they have both lobbied the US with accusations of wrong-doing on the other side. At the same time, military threats and the manipulation of public opinion have deepened the mistrust.

This causes problems for US policymakers. Not only must they listen to the complaints from both sides, but on the domestic front they also have to mediate between the hawks and doves who are pulling in opposite directions on this issue.

Because the US position is full of contradiction and compromise, their principles and policies for maintaining the status quo have gradually lost credibility.

With Taipei and Beijing largely concerned with their own interests, they are not concerned with the US' problems. And Washington, while willing to help ease the tension between Taipei and Beijing, is clearly unable to achieve much.

With domestic security and the war against terrorism the primary concerns of the US political establishment, they have little time to concern themselves with the Strait. Even the nuclear crisis on the Korean Peninsula has to be sorted out through six-nation talks.

It is quite clear that the US is can do little to resolve the cross-strait crisis. In response to Taipei's complaints, it can only recommend calm, and advise the country to bide its time to win greater space to maneuver. But the government does not see time as being on its side. Already there is a sense of anxiety among politicians and the public over the nation's political ambitions, which indicate that Taipei is in a hurry.

The same can be said of Beijing. It is anxious to resolve the question of Taiwan. But in the face of US prevarication and the strong emotional response that their ultimate goal triggers in Taiwan, there is little they can do but deal with the issue sternly. History has taught us that when two great powers face off over a flashpoint, the only way of easing the pressure is for both parties to show their hand. In its recent military exercise, Beijing has revealed how it may handle the issue. The only thing they are concerned about is: "Will the US go to war over Taiwan?"

The ball is in the US' court. Clearly, its version of the "status quo" is increasingly untenable. It is time for the US to show its hand. Both sides of the Strait wait for this with bated breath.

Andrew Yang is the secretary general of the Chinese Council of Advanced Policy Studies.

Forum List

Back