Massachusetts Man Says He Was Fired for Telling Colleague Her Gay Marriage Is Wrong

"'Regarding your homosexuality, I think that's bad stuff.'"
this statement right here is where he broke the law, he will be lucky if the lady doesn't sue him. The employer also had to take action because they didn't she could also sue them.
Have none of you never been through harassment classes at work?

Several times there were men I could have pressed charges against for sexual harassment...instead, I told them they were out of bounds and please don't do it again...none of them did. You ask me...this harassment is about as overdone as the word racism and the number of lawsuits for stupid stuff in the USA. I got bit by a dog a few weeks ago and the first thing some people asked me were "Are you going to sue?" Of course I'm not going to sue, so I got a bruise, big deal....GET OVER IT PEOPLE...if you can't handle one man telling you that your behavior is wrong in his opinion, then you need to get a backbone.

and you need to get a clue! The only reason why you are defending this guy is because you agree with him. The workplace isn't the place to tell people you think their lifestyle is "bad stuff".

Nope, the reason I'm defending him is because we have freedom of speech in this country, or we used to and I'm tired of it being taken away from us inch by inch.

The bottom line is that if this guy thought he was being harassed then he should have gone to HR and said so. By choosing to instead offer up his own unsolicited opinion on this woman's lifestyle he fucked up and got what he deserved.

and people have the right not to be harassed at the workplace.
There is a place to exercise your first amendment right and the workplace is not one of them.
I had the freedom to tell customers at my last job they were assholes, and my employer had the freedom to fire me i I did

Harrassmebt be definition has to be persistent. One comment does not fir that criteria. My goodness! You should hear the stuff we talk about at work. Its USMB.

I once talked about my marriage at work with a co-worker and another co-worker claimed it was harassment....because SHE wasn't married and WE were. She threatened to file a sexual harassment claim against us because we had the audacity to discuss how tough it was to wake up our husband's in the morning in front of her. Okay, so we stopped discussing it in front of her, we didn't ask the she be fired...do you think we should have?

Or maybe we should have been fired for having the audacity to discuss our relationships in the open?

Please, the man expressed his opinion ONCE only AFTER she shoved hers down his throat. Of course, you think HE should be fired for having the audacity to disagree with the gay lifestyle and tell a gay person to her face. I'd rather have someone tell me to my face than talk about it behind my back, wouldn't you? No of course, you'd rather it be whispered and anyone that speaks such thoughts out loud be expunged from our society.

Again with the assumption that she was "in his face" about it. I repeat: Did she specifically tell him about it four times or was he just within earshot of a conversation she was having with others?

Doesn't matter, she said it FOUR times in front of him........he had the right to express his opinion ONCE. That's not harassment.

once again talking about your wedding four times is not harassment, telling some their sexual orientation is wrong is and it violates harassment laws. I just don't see why you don't get it.
Why didn't he just ask her not to talk about it anymore or maybe tell her she should get back to work? no instead he had to put down her lifestyle which again is against THE LAW.

Harrassmebt be definition has to be persistent.

Not for HR purposes.

If I called a co-worker a pole-smoking n****r homo who like to play with little boys, it would be harassment under the law.

It would also be funny, cuz my immediate coworkers are white females. So I might get some strange looks as well as being pulled in to the HR office.

Harrassmebt be definition has to be persistent. One comment does not fir that criteria. My goodness! You should hear the stuff we talk about at work. Its USMB.

actually it doesn't, it just has to create a hostile work envirnment which it obviously did. Telling someone their lifestyle is "bad stuff" and a sin I think would create a hostile work envirnment. They had to fire him, if the employer didn't take action against him they would then be breaking the law.

The bottom line is that if this guy thought he was being harassed then he should have gone to HR and said so. By choosing to instead offer up his own unsolicited opinion on this woman's lifestyle he fucked up and got what he deserved.

Sounds exactly like what they are telling little kids on the playground now...don't hit back, go tell on the person.....don't worry if they call you names, just tell on them...and then the adults don't do shit...but if you dare to hit back or call them names back, then YOU are the one that is suspended.

When I was a kid, we handled those situations ourselves....today's kids are whimps as is exemplified by the homosexual woman who can talk about her marriage FOUR times but can't hand ONE man telling her ONCE that she's wrong.

If it had been me, I would have told her I don't agree with gay marriage, and then I would have asked to see the pictures....and ooed and awed over them appropriately. We have a right to express our opinion, it doesn't mean we hate them.

Would I go to a gay wedding if I was asked by one of my friends? Yes. Doesn't mean I agree with them. I don't agree with a lot of people, doesn't mean I don't like them.

Vidala said he felt "intentionally goaded" by the manager to comment on her relationship.

"She knew how I felt about homosexuality," he said. "When you talk to someone about something like that, you want their support. She was kind of looking into my eyes for that social cue for me to say, 'I'm happy for you.' But I really couldn't feel happy for her."

Sounds to me like she was trying to get him fired. PURPOSELY. I hope he sues.

actually it doesn't, it just has to create a hostile work envirnment which it obviously did. Telling someone their lifestyle is "bad stuff" and a sin I think would create a hostile work envirnment. They had to fire him, if the employer didn't take action against him they would then be breaking the law.

Vidala said he felt "intentionally goaded" by the manager to comment on her relationship.

"She knew how I felt about homosexuality," he said. "When you talk to someone about something like that, you want their support. She was kind of looking into my eyes for that social cue for me to say, 'I'm happy for you.' But I really couldn't feel happy for her."

Seems to me it was the manager that was causing the hostile environment....yet he's the one that got fired for it.

Several times there were men I could have pressed charges against for sexual harassment...instead, I told them they were out of bounds and please don't do it again...none of them did. You ask me...this harassment is about as overdone as the word racism and the number of lawsuits for stupid stuff in the USA. I got bit by a dog a few weeks ago and the first thing some people asked me were "Are you going to sue?" Of course I'm not going to sue, so I got a bruise, big deal....GET OVER IT PEOPLE...if you can't handle one man telling you that your behavior is wrong in his opinion, then you need to get a backbone.

and you need to get a clue! The only reason why you are defending this guy is because you agree with him. The workplace isn't the place to tell people you think their lifestyle is "bad stuff".

Nope, the reason I'm defending him is because we have freedom of speech in this country, or we used to and I'm tired of it being taken away from us inch by inch.
1) All I can see is the word of the guy telling it. Have we heard from the Store yet? There are always two sides.

2) This has nothing to do with Free Speech. An employer has a right to restrict your speech at work. You have a right to work somewhere else.

Again with the assumption that she was "in his face" about it. I repeat: Did she specifically tell him about it four times or was he just within earshot of a conversation she was having with others?

Doesn't matter, she said it FOUR times in front of him........he had the right to express his opinion ONCE. That's not harassment.

once again talking about your wedding four times is not harassment, telling some their sexual orientation is wrong is and it violates harassment laws. I just don't see why you don't get it.
Why didn't he just ask her not to talk about it anymore or maybe tell her she should get back to work? no instead he had to put down her lifestyle which again is against THE LAW.

No, looking for him to comment on something when she knows how he feels about it isn't harassment, it's entrapment.

Sounds exactly like what they are telling little kids on the playground now...don't hit back, go tell on the person.....don't worry if they call you names, just tell on them...and then the adults don't do shit...but if you dare to hit back or call them names back, then YOU are the one that is suspended.

When I was a kid, we handled those situations ourselves....today's kids are whimps as is exemplified by the homosexual woman who can talk about her marriage FOUR times but can't hand ONE man telling her ONCE that she's wrong.

If it had been me, I would have told her I don't agree with gay marriage, and then I would have asked to see the pictures....and ooed and awed over them appropriately. We have a right to express our opinion, it doesn't mean we hate them.

Would I go to a gay wedding if I was asked by one of my friends? Yes. Doesn't mean I agree with them. I don't agree with a lot of people, doesn't mean I don't like them.

This isn't the playground. It's the workplace.

so you would tell a person who just got married that you don't agree with their lifestyle and their marriage right after their wedding? Why do they need to know your opinion?
And really it just make you look heartless and disrespectful.

For those of you who automatically sided with this guy getting fired, I ask you to read the entire article and then come back and comment. Yes, I know there are two sides to everything, but based on THIS side, THIS article what do you really think?

so you would tell a person who just got married that you don't agree with their lifestyle and their marriage right after their wedding? Why do they need to know your opinion?
And really it just make you look heartless and disrespectful.

Actually, they'd probably already know my opinion, just as this woman knew this man's opinion when she looked in his eyes and tried to get a response from him and her being the manager...it's obvious this was entrapment.

For those of you who automatically sided with this guy getting fired, I ask you to read the entire article and then come back and comment. Yes, I know there are two sides to everything, but based on THIS side, THIS article what do you really think?

After reading the article I think he's an immature dumbass who should have kept his opinions to himself and filed a harassment complaint if that was how he felt. Once he crossed that line, he himself ended up in the wrong.

If it bothered him that much, he could of gone to his manager or something else. But, his overwhelming sense of "I know what's right" and religion clouded his judgment. I said this all the way back in the beginning because it's true. His sense of "I must tell this person how fucked up they are" overwhelmed what is suppose to be Professionalism.

Based on his side alone, I don't believe he should get fired.

But, of course he's going to put his side in the best possible light. So I doubt that this is all to the story.

New Topics

Forum List

Back