Massachusetts Man Says He Was Fired for Telling Colleague Her Gay Marriage Is Wrong

it is called harrassment in the workplace idiot and no one should have to put up with that.

Since when is expressing an opinion, harassment? So, if I say "I don't agree with you because (insert reason here)" it's harassment?

he told the women she was not the norm and that gay marriage is a sin, that is harassment in the workplace and one should not have to deal with that while at work. You are there to work not tell people who wrong their lifestyle is.
Also I didn't make the law.

Only after she pushed her marriage in his face:

Vidala claims the woman, whom he declined to identify, mentioned four times that she had married her partner. He said he then left the store briefly to visit the airport's chapel before returning.

"I found it offensive that she repeatedly brought it up," Vidala said. "By the fourth time she mentioned it, I felt God wanted me to express how I felt about the matter, so I did. But my tone was downright apologetic. I said, 'Regarding your homosexuality, I think that's bad stuff.'"

Shame on him for getting fed up with it and saying something back.

Since when is expressing an opinion, harassment? So, if I say "I don't agree with you because (insert reason here)" it's harassment?

he told the women she was not the norm and that gay marriage is a sin, that is harassment in the workplace and one should not have to deal with that while at work. You are there to work not tell people who wrong their lifestyle is.

Vidala claims the woman, whom he declined to identify, mentioned four times that she had married her partner. He said he then left the store briefly to visit the airport's chapel before returning.

"I found it offensive that she repeatedly brought it up," Vidala said. "By the fourth time she mentioned it, I felt God wanted me to express how I felt about the matter, so I did. But my tone was downright apologetic. I said, 'Regarding your homosexuality, I think that's bad stuff.'"

Did she specifically tell him four times? Or was he just in ear shot of her conversation with others?

Why not????

Are there specific instructions as to what you can and can't discuss in the workplace? I can understand that you shouldn't be allowed to harangue someone in the workplace, but you should have every right to voice your opinion. Next you'll be saying that atheists can't tell religious people that there is no God in the workplace. Or religious people can't tell atheists there is one.

actually there is!
The first place to look for an answer, of course, is the definition of harassment. Speech can be punished as workplace harassment if it's

"severe or pervasive" enough to

create a "hostile or abusive work environment"

based on race, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or, in some jurisdictions, sexual orientation, political affiliation, citizenship status, marital status, or personal appearance,

for the plaintiff and for a reasonable person. 4

What Speech Does "Hostile Work Environment" Harassment Law Restrict?

Pretty much think telling someone they don't agree with their marriage creates a hostile work envirment based on sexual orientation.

Right, she can tell the guy FOUR times she's married to another girl, but if he tells her ONCE, it's wrong, HE'S FIRED for harassment, yeah, that makes sense <NOT>

why does it matter she told other people she was married to a girl, from the article it doesn't sound like she told him he just overheard her. SHe was not putting down him, she was telling people about her wedding that happened the week before. How the hell is that harassment in your world? because she was gay? If you have the right to talk about getting married at work so does she. and if she doesn't that is called discrimnation.

<<<

Yep fire the one that's harassed instead of the one doing the harassing, that's America for you today.

I wonder if he would have reacted the same way if she had married a man? I doubt it!
You have a right to talk about getting married at work, you don't have the right to put down someones lifestyle.

Of course he wouldn't have acted the same way, still, he had a right to express his opinion. If a heterosexual pushed his marriage in the face of a homosexual and the homosexual finally said "that the heterosexual marriage was wrong", would you say he should be fired?

<<<

Yep fire the one that's harassed instead of the one doing the harassing, that's America for you today.

I wonder if he would have reacted the same way if she had married a man? I doubt it!
You have a right to talk about getting married at work, you don't have the right to put down someones lifestyle.

Of course he wouldn't have acted the same way, still, he had a right to express his opinion. If a heterosexual pushed his marriage in the face of a homosexual and the homosexual finally said "that the heterosexual marriage was wrong", would you say he should be fired?

Again with the assumption that she was "in his face" about it. I repeat: Did she specifically tell him about it four times or was he just within earshot of a conversation she was having with others?

so you are defending a guy because he got mad someone had the nerve to tell her co workers about her wedding that happened the weekend before that she was obviously very happy about? What she did was not harassment for the tenth time, she didn't put down his religion, lifestyle, or anything else having to do with him.

<<<

yes he should be because it creates a hostile work envirnment due to sexual orientation.

actually there is!
The first place to look for an answer, of course, is the definition of harassment. Speech can be punished as workplace harassment if it's

"severe or pervasive" enough to

create a "hostile or abusive work environment"

based on race, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or, in some jurisdictions, sexual orientation, political affiliation, citizenship status, marital status, or personal appearance,

for the plaintiff and for a reasonable person. 4

What Speech Does "Hostile Work Environment" Harassment Law Restrict?

Pretty much think telling someone they don't agree with their marriage creates a hostile work envirment based on sexual orientation.

Right, she can tell the guy FOUR times she's married to another girl, but if he tells her ONCE, it's wrong, HE'S FIRED for harassment, yeah, that makes sense <NOT>

why does it matter she told other people she was married to a girl, from the article it doesn't sound like she told him he just overheard her. SHe was not putting down him, she was telling people about her wedding that happened the week before. How the hell is that harassment in your world? because she was gay? If you have the right to talk about getting married at work so does she. and if she doesn't that is called discrimnation.

I once talked about my marriage at work with a co-worker and another co-worker claimed it was harassment....because SHE wasn't married and WE were. She threatened to file a sexual harassment claim against us because we had the audacity to discuss how tough it was to wake up our husband's in the morning in front of her. Okay, so we stopped discussing it in front of her, we didn't ask the she be fired...do you think we should have?

Or maybe we should have been fired for having the audacity to discuss our relationships in the open?

Please, the man expressed his opinion ONCE only AFTER she shoved hers down his throat. Of course, you think HE should be fired for having the audacity to disagree with the gay lifestyle and tell a gay person to her face. I'd rather have someone tell me to my face than talk about it behind my back, wouldn't you? No of course, you'd rather it be whispered and anyone that speaks such thoughts out loud be expunged from our society.

"'Regarding your homosexuality, I think that's bad stuff.'"
this statement right here is where he broke the law, he will be lucky if the lady doesn't sue him. The employer also had to take action because they didn't she could also sue them.
Have none of you never been through harassment classes at work?

I once talked about my marriage at work with a co-worker and another co-worker claimed it was harassment....because SHE wasn't married and WE were. She threatened to file a sexual harassment claim against us because we had the audacity to discuss how tough it was to wake up our husband's in the morning in front of her. Okay, so we stopped discussing it in front of her, we didn't ask the she be fired...do you think we should have?

Or maybe we should have been fired for having the audacity to discuss our relationships in the open?

Please, the man expressed his opinion ONCE only AFTER she shoved hers down his throat. Of course, you think HE should be fired for having the audacity to disagree with the gay lifestyle and tell a gay person to her face. I'd rather have someone tell me to my face than talk about it behind my back, wouldn't you? No of course, you'd rather it be whispered and anyone that speaks such thoughts out loud be expunged from our society.

Again with the assumption that she was "in his face" about it. I repeat: Did she specifically tell him about it four times or was he just within earshot of a conversation she was having with others?

And what was the "opinion" that she expressed before he "expressed his?"

this statement right here is where he broke the law, he will be lucky if the lady doesn't sue him. The employer also had to take action because they didn't she could also sue them.

Several times there were men I could have pressed charges against for sexual harassment...instead, I told them they were out of bounds and please don't do it again...none of them did. You ask me...this harassment is about as overdone as the word racism and the number of lawsuits for stupid stuff in the USA. I got bit by a dog a few weeks ago and the first thing some people asked me were "Are you going to sue?" Of course I'm not going to sue, so I got a bruise, big deal....GET OVER IT PEOPLE...if you can't handle one man telling you that your behavior is wrong in his opinion, then you need to get a backbone.

Did you shove it down your co workers throat? From your words it sounds like you don't think you did. But this women who just got married and was talking to her co workers about that wedding WAS shoving it down this guys throat?
and you can disagree with the gay lifestyle all you want, but he broke the law and should have been fired. How about if he told a black man he was bad stuff for being black and that he wasn't the norm? Do you think he should be fired then?
and why don't you answer article, did she say it to him four times or was he just in ear shot?

Doesn't matter, she said it FOUR times in front of him........he had the right to express his opinion ONCE. That's not harassment.

Doesn't matter, she said it FOUR times in front of him........he had the right to express his opinion ONCE. That's not harassment.

You are claiming that she was harassing him so yes, it really does matter.

Was his opinion solicited?

Were the sexual advances that your co-workers made solicited?

Several times there were men I could have pressed charges against for sexual harassment...instead, I told them they were out of bounds and please don't do it again...none of them did. You ask me...this harassment is about as overdone as the word racism and the number of lawsuits for stupid stuff in the USA. I got bit by a dog a few weeks ago and the first thing some people asked me were "Are you going to sue?" Of course I'm not going to sue, so I got a bruise, big deal....GET OVER IT PEOPLE...if you can't handle one man telling you that your behavior is wrong in his opinion, then you need to get a backbone.

and you need to get a clue! The only reason why you are defending this guy is because you agree with him. The workplace isn't the place to tell people you think their lifestyle is "bad stuff".

again with the assumption that she was "in his face" about it. I repeat: Did she specifically tell him about it four times or was he just within earshot of a conversation she was having with others?

doesn't matter, she said it four times in front of him........he had the right to express his opinion once. That's not harassment.

you are claiming that she was harassing him so yes, it really does matter.

Was his opinion solicited? Seems to me it was...she mentioned her marriage in front of him four times, she was obviously looking to talk about it.

no

Last edited:
doesn't matter, she said it four times in front of him........he had the right to express his opinion once. That's not harassment.

you are claiming that she was harassing him so yes, it really does matter.

Was his opinion solicited? Seems to me it was...she mentioned her marriage in front of him four times, she was obviously looking to talk about it.

no

Thank you. I rest my case.

Forum List

Back