Mass Transit

How often do you use your state's mass transit system.

• Often.

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Sometimes.

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Never.

Votes: 13 44.8%
  • No system in place.

Votes: 8 27.6%

• Total voters
Ridership isn't high enough to justify the building of many roads, but they're built nevertheless, DC.

Do remember, that the original question was the cost of building a rail infrastruture v the cost of bu8ilding a road infrastructure we're debating here.

If we want to include all the operational costs of rails, then we must compare all operational costs of the proposed rail transit system against all cost of all roads and ALL the costs of all the cars using those roads to make a truly fair comparison.

Gas powered vehicular travel are probably the least efficient system (in terms of miles of service V cost per passenger mile) of any transporation system we have.
but, the funds to take care of the roads are MORE than enough to cover the costs of the roads
so much so, they use the excess funds to do OTHER things

Ridership isn't high enough to justify the building of many roads, but they're built nevertheless, DC.

Do remember, that the original question was the cost of building a rail infrastruture v the cost of bu8ilding a road infrastructure we're debating here.

If we want to include all the operational costs of rails, then we must compare all operational costs of the proposed rail transit system against all cost of all roads and ALL the costs of all the cars using those roads to make a truly fair comparison.

Gas powered vehicular travel are probably the least efficient system (in terms of miles of service V cost per passenger mile) of any transporation system we have.

But you still need the roads for commercial traffic. Plus, you can't take your new refrigerator home on the rail, you still need a road that reaches your house.

Last edited:
But you still need the roads for commercial traffic. Plus, you can't take your new refrigerator home on the rail, you still new a road that reaches your house.

Now that is actually a good point. You forget the problem of emergency vehicles, so let me add that to the mix, too.

To some extent the last mile is the problem of a modern rail system to replace our antiquated passenger car and truck system.

I can envision public electric ground vehicles that would easily deal with that last mile problem though.

Major retailers would naturally build themselves near the transportation systems just as they already do now.

Understand my "solution" is obviously far fetched.

But if I'd been suggesting that we created the roadway system we have now to somebody in the horse and buggy universe, that would also seem very far fetched, wouldn't it?

Think, just think, about how much we spend collectively on maintaining roads and all the money we collectively invest in buying, maintaining operating and insuring private vehicles to travel on them.

The costs overall are staggering...as would be the aggregate costs of ANY alternative system.

STill I suspect the cost of a mag lev rail system, even one that was highly refined to make that last mile problem less arduous, wouldn't be more than what we COLLECTIVELY spend on cars, right now.

Now that is actually a good point. You forget the problem of emergency vehicles, so let me add that to the mix, too.

To some extent the last mile is the problem of a modern rail system to replace our antiquated passenger car and truck system.

I can envision public electric ground vehicles that would easily deal with that last mile problem though.

Major retailers would naturally build themselves near the transportation systems just as they already do now.

Understand my "solution" is obviously far fetched.

But if I'd been suggesting that we created the roadway system we have now to somebody in the horse and buggy universe, that would also seem very far fetched, wouldn't it?

Think, just think, about how much we spend collectively on maintaining roads and all the money we collectively invest in buying, maintaining operating and insuring private vehicles to travel on them.

The costs overall are staggering...as would be the aggregate costs of ANY alternative system.

STill I suspect the cost of a mag lev rail system, even one that was highly refined to make that last mile problem less arduous, wouldn't be more than what we COLLECTIVELY spend on cars, right now.
make it capable to have drive on/drive off so you can take your car on it and then drive to your final destination

You mean like our roads do now?

I quite agree.

Unless you can take me to odd spots in town in short (5-10min) periods of time you will never replace my van. Same goes for my husbands car. He has to carry around 200-300 pounds of equipment to do his job and be at the next call in as short as period of time. Only an auto can provide that.

I live in such a remote, rural area that a car is necessity.

Utah Transit Authority has Good Bus Service in Down Town Salt Lake City, in the Avenues and at the University of Utah. UTA has Destroyed the Bus System in the rest of Salt Lake County.

UTA Planned for Years on how to Reduce Ridership on Buses. So they can put most of Revenue into Trax and FrontRunner.

The HIGH PAID EXECUTIVES do not receive HUGE BONUSES for a Bus System. Trax and FrontRunner bring in more Federal Dollars. The more Federal Dollars
the Bigger the BONUSES are.

UTA will do what ever they need to so UTA HIGH PAID EXECUTIVES receive their HUGE BONUSES.

All at TAXPAYER EXPENSE!

catmeowpublictransit.blogspot.com

As you can see, mass transit has a lot a benefits to the people and the environment. Do you support mass transit? Also, does your state have a mass transit system in place?
When I was younger and lived closer to the downtown area I would either walk or ride the bus. I used to love to smoke a bowl and then ride the bus, made it even more hilarious when the wierdo's would get on.
We used to also ride the bus the bars downtown and then walk home at the end of the night that way no one had to be DD!

I support Public Transit! The Transit System in Utah is not Good! If you do not have a Car or cannot Drive, you are Limited where you can go. Alot times I have to Leave Two or Three Hours before I need to be somewhere.
I am LUCKY there are People the have to Walk Blocks or Miles to a Bus Stop. It is more Important to the UTA HIGH PAID EXECUTIVES receive their HUGE BONUSES, bring in more Federal Funds for Trax and FrontRUNNER not a Good Bus System!

Urban areas are well served by public transit. Rural areas have to have a road system. The problem is to power the vehicles with something that does not destroy our present environment. There is a contest this year to build a vehicle that will get 100 mpg. Most are entering futuristic very light weight vehicles. Goodwin is entering a 1959 Lincoln, 17.5 ft long, and 2 and 1/2 tons.
LINC VOLT - Repowering The American Dream - Fueled By Design

But you still need the roads for commercial traffic. Plus, you can't take your new refrigerator home on the rail, you still need a road that reaches your house.

It's quite the challenge to herd 3 children under age 7 on and off public transportation while carrying the weekly groceries as well.

You are so right we need roads, but also need a good Transit System, our Government is spending to Revenue on Light Rail.

Forum List

Back