Mass. Debates Birth Certificates for Babies of Same-Sex Couples

-Cp

Sep 23, 2004
Earth
BOSTON — Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney (search) says babies born to couples of the same sex should be given amended birth certificates, but supporters of gay marriage who want to change those certificates say the governor's formula for doing so is wrong.

Click in the box to the right to watch a report by FOX News' Alisyn Camerota.

Birth certificates (search) are supposed to establish identity and parentage. In Massachusetts, the only state in the union where same-sex marriage (search) is legal, gay rights advocates want the words "Mother" and "Father" removed from birth certificates, and put in their place the terms "Parent A" and "Parent B."

"There should be no doubt in Massachusetts that Massachusetts records should accurately reflect the true nature of Massachusetts families and that includes same-sex couples," said Michele Granda, staff attorney for Gay and Lesbian Advocates and Defenders.

Romney has instructed hospitals to cross out the words "Mother" or "Father" and write in the phrase "Second Parent."

"I'm opposed to taking the Massachusetts birth certificate and removing the term 'Mother' and 'Father' and substituting 'Parent A' and 'Parent B,'" Romney said. "Look, each child has a mother and a father. They should have the right to have that mother and father known to them and that's something I'd like to preserve on a birth certificate."

Romney opposes same-sex marriage. Gay advocates say his latest stand is discriminatory.

"There's no need for the governor to be stigmatizing the children born to same-sex couples just because he does not personally approve of same-sex couples," Granda said.

As Romney contemplates a run for president, the Republican governor from a liberal Northeast state knows his position on birth certificates has to appeal to Southern and Midwestern conservatives. Still, Romney said, he's voicing his conscience.

"My view is that that's wrong on paper and it's wrong on fact. Every child deserves to have a mother and a father, and a birth certificate should reflect mothers and fathers," he said.

Like the decision allowing gay marriage in Massachusetts, the description of a parent on birth certificates also appears to be destined for the court.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,163748,00.html

-Cp said:
BOSTON — Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney (search) says babies born to couples of the same sex should be given amended birth certificates, but supporters of gay marriage who want to change those certificates say the governor's formula for doing so is wrong.

Click in the box to the right to watch a report by FOX News' Alisyn Camerota.

Birth certificates (search) are supposed to establish identity and parentage. In Massachusetts, the only state in the union where same-sex marriage (search) is legal, gay rights advocates want the words "Mother" and "Father" removed from birth certificates, and put in their place the terms "Parent A" and "Parent B."

"There should be no doubt in Massachusetts that Massachusetts records should accurately reflect the true nature of Massachusetts families and that includes same-sex couples," said Michele Granda, staff attorney for Gay and Lesbian Advocates and Defenders.

Romney has instructed hospitals to cross out the words "Mother" or "Father" and write in the phrase "Second Parent."

"I'm opposed to taking the Massachusetts birth certificate and removing the term 'Mother' and 'Father' and substituting 'Parent A' and 'Parent B,'" Romney said. "Look, each child has a mother and a father. They should have the right to have that mother and father known to them and that's something I'd like to preserve on a birth certificate."

Romney opposes same-sex marriage. Gay advocates say his latest stand is discriminatory.

"There's no need for the governor to be stigmatizing the children born to same-sex couples just because he does not personally approve of same-sex couples," Granda said.

As Romney contemplates a run for president, the Republican governor from a liberal Northeast state knows his position on birth certificates has to appeal to Southern and Midwestern conservatives. Still, Romney said, he's voicing his conscience.

"My view is that that's wrong on paper and it's wrong on fact. Every child deserves to have a mother and a father, and a birth certificate should reflect mothers and fathers," he said.

Like the decision allowing gay marriage in Massachusetts, the description of a parent on birth certificates also appears to be destined for the court.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,163748,00.html

This is just stupid...same sex couples cannot have a baby. The birth certificate should be used to record biological parentage only.

Secular progressives seems to embrace science only when it suits them. They tell us that God can't exist because evolution is fact. However, they deny that, biologically, every child has exactly one mother and one father. THOSE are the ones on the birth certificate. Sure, maybe they can have different legal guardians, but you're stuck with your biological parents.

GotZoom said:
I am a Father.

I knew you were familiar

revdongotzoom.jpg

-=d=- said:
I knew you were familiar

revdongotzoom.jpg

I dropped the two last names. It too forever to write and hearing my followers try to say it was just a pain in the ass.

Reverand Don is just fine.

People need the biological record of their parents for their health history. If HSX activists were truly interested in the welfare of the child, they would recognize this. You can play house, but that doesn't change nature.

What do the A. and B. Stand for?

A.ss and B.alls? :p

Sounds to me like they need to have a sip of <a href="http://www.news24.com/News24/AnanziArticle/0,,2-1343-1347_1735854,00.html" target=_blank">Homo Light</a> and STFU... :)

Hobbit said:
These guys need a colonoscopy to see if someone can find their heads.

I have a mixed thoughts about this issue. I guess that it comes down to answering this question: What purpose does it serve to have the names of the biological parents, or a "mother" and "father" distinction, on the birth certificate? If it serves no real concrete purpose, then let it just reflect the names of the couple who choose to be the child's parents. If it serves no real purpose to identify the gender of the parent, then let it go.

mattskramer said:
I have a mixed thoughts about this issue. I guess that it comes down to answering this question: What purpose does it serve to have the names of the biological parents, or a "mother" and "father" distinction, on the birth certificate? If it serves no real concrete purpose, then let it just reflect the names of the couple who choose to be the child's parents. If it serves no real purpose to identify the gender of the parent, then let it go.

In family law circles, the names assist the courts in transforming innocent men into unloved and openly maligned cash machines.

mom4 said:
People need the biological record of their parents for their health history. If HSX activists were truly interested in the welfare of the child, they would recognize this. You can play house, but that doesn't change nature.

Excellently said!! And you can not have it both ways. What it really comes down to is the agenda of HSX activists is much more about making laws to make society view them as perfectly normal rather then they just doing what they want to do regardless. Doing what they want is not enough.

Tracing biological parentage is, medically, *very* important, as is designating the mother and father. It helps to diagnose genetic diseases, some of which are only carried on the x or y chromosome. It also helps determine family history of certain disorders like cancer and heart disease. It most definitely serves a concrete purpose.

Hobbit said:
Tracing biological parentage is, medically, *very* important, as is designating the mother and father. It helps to diagnose genetic diseases, some of which are only carried on the x or y chromosome. It also helps determine family history of certain disorders like cancer and heart disease. It most definitely serves a concrete purpose.

Okay. Fair enough. I'm not familiar in this area, so please educate me. Does it hold that for adoptions and mixed marriages (divorce, stepchildren, etc.) the birth certificate will always (or should always) specify the biological father and mother? I'm just looking for understanding, fairness and consistency.

mattskramer said:
Okay. Fair enough. I'm not familiar in this area, so please educate me. Does it hold that for adoptions and mixed marriages (divorce, stepchildren, etc.) the birth certificate will always (or should always) specify the biological father and mother? I'm just looking for understanding, fairness and consistency.

Yes, birth certificates always show who is at least assumed to be the biological father for medical reasons. Since the document is made at the time of birth, it always contains this information. Certificates of adoption are used to show guardianship if the person's name isn't on the birth certificate.

The idea of saying that you can have a legal document that states that a newly born child was created by two women (or two men, or three, or twenty seven) is creepy and bizarre.

I understand that they are stating that the document will reflect the true version of MA families...but the bottom line is that a birth certificate is supposed to reflect the true biological parents of the new person...not whichever girlfriend or boyfriend the mother happens to be with at the time.

This reflects one of the first actual changes in definition that the homosexual population has brought to the general population...and whether your support gay marriage or not, you should consider what outcomes changing the meaning of parents could have in the long run.

Hobbit said:
Secular progressives seems to embrace science only when it suits them. They tell us that God can't exist because evolution is fact. However, they deny that, biologically, every child has exactly one mother and one father. THOSE are the ones on the birth certificate. Sure, maybe they can have different legal guardians, but you're stuck with your biological parents.

Excellent point! Damn, don't these people realize how a generic birth certificate degrades women? I mean seriously you moms out there, don't you want credit for pregnancy, labor, birth? Sheesh. Nine months is a long time and labor can seem even longer. Mothers actually give their bodies and experience pain, lots of it, to bring a child into the world. Maybe this stuff is a little too grown up and scientific for the secular progressives

Forum List

Back