Masked Banditos

Care4all

Warrior Princess
Mar 24, 2007
Maine
These Birds, Bohemian Waxwings and Cedar waxwings invade my apple trees when they are in bloom....they come down in flocks of 24-100 and make alot of noise....and are here on my property for only one-two days then I do not see them again until September, when they are flying back home, where ever home is? and they eat the berries from my Elderberry bushes which are ripe at that time, then nothing, nada, untill the following late may....

P5232373.JPG

P5232372.JPG

Last edited:
Yeah, I have the same experience.

Only I think they're Cedar Waxwings, not Bohemian Waxwings. Bohemians don't live round here.

They don't flock except when they're getting ready to migrate or just coming in from a long migratory flight.

Then they decend on sources of food en masse and eat everything in sight.

In the spring they've taken to going after last year's privet's fruits.

Then in in the fall they'll go after the Mary Potter crabapples and eat ever last one of them in about an hour.

I've seen hundreds of them at once in that very small crabapple.

It's an amazing sight because the tree is so small that they're standing shoulder to shoulder on every branch on the tree.

Then they head South for the winter.

Hey, that's fine by me. The Mary Potter is an ornamental tree and if the birds don't eat those small apples, they go to waste, anyway.

I don't feed birds except by planting things they'd naturally find to eat, anyway.

Yeah, I have the same experience.

Only I think they're Cedar Waxwings, not Bohemian Waxwings. Bohemians don't live round here.

They don't flock except when they're getting ready to migrate or just coming in from a long migratory flight.

Then they decend on sources of food en masse and eat everything in sight.

In the spring they've taken to going after last year's privet's fruits.

Then in in the fall they'll go after the Mary Potter crabapples and eat ever last one of them in about an hour.

I've seen hundreds of them at once in that very small crabapple.

It's an amazing sight because the tree is so small that they're standing shoulder to shoulder on every branch on the tree.

Then they head South for the winter.

Hey, that's fine by me. The Mary Potter is an ornamental tree and if the birds don't eat those small apples, they go to waste, anyway.

I don't feed birds except by planting things they'd naturally find to eat, anyway.

YES! the first spring here in maine, matt and i were sitting on our back deck having a late afternoon coctail...we had been working in the yard all day....and THEN it happened, at least 100 of them, flew over our heads....and landed in my dead pine tree, we could FEEL the wind from them, there were so many and so close....we, were stunned, both said to eachother, what the HECK was that? then all of them at once decended in to our apple trees...it was a sight to be seen, and i will never forget it!!! NO camera though....:(

so, the following spring, i was armed with my new camera....i didn't go outside without it, in hopes that these birds would come back!!! And they did!!! they are creatures of habbit i suppose!

this is my 3rd spring spotting them now....i look forward to seeing them!

Forum List

Back