Masha Gessen allegedly gives away the true motive of the Gay Marriage movement

Nope. Admittedly it isn't. But it helps me alter my viewpoints. Perhaps I should find another way.

You need to work on yourself first, otherwise no matter what you believe you'll still be putting your foot in your mouth.

No matter what you believe, how you go about delivering it is key. Also, don't make threads like these challenging the resident hacks. No good is going to come out of it. Look for those on the other side of the aisle who actually look like they might be willing to have an open mind and honestly trade ideas, thoughts, and feelings with you.

I never said my support stopped.

Never mind. This thread was stupid. I was stupid. I'll go sit in the corner now.

Oh good grief. Not with the mea culpa crap again.

Fine but don't come back tomorrow whining about how you're going to finally turn your life around, yadda yadda.

If your entire new-found moral acceptance of same-sex marriage can be toppled over night by the words of nuts and extremists, it couldn't have been very deep to begin with.

Did I say I stopped? Please, read the op again:

"I was of the understanding it was for the right to marry like everyone else. I support that."

And that's exactly what it was for but now your taking the words of an extremist and claiming you've been lied to by the supporters of gay marriage.

TK, it's better to honestly convey what you believe in while keeping it succinct and respectful. Plenty members on USMB and in this thread I disagree with on this issue and that, but that's fine, and the WAY I go about exchanging ideas with them honestly while treating them respectfully because they're fellow human beings is abso-f***ing-lutely crucial. Say I wanted to exchange ideas with NYcarbineer. I know I differ on some stuff with him, but if I want to talk with him about that stuff I'm not gonna play any games or treat him poorly. It's always better to approach a discussion with one or more people calmly, respectfully, and genuinely [in that you're looking to earnestly exchange ideas and gain mutual understanding, instead of treating discussion like a combative game to score points].

Forum List

Back