Maryland Stands Up To Wal-Mart

SmarterThanYou said:
when you tell your supplier that you'll buy this much more than anyone else SO LONG AS you only make it this way, thats subverting the market.

The suppliers aren't forced to comply - they can freely say "Take your business elsewhere." But... why would they?

This is an interesting discussion.

What I see are people defending wal marts practices: some say predatory. And others that denounces this practice. This to me, is the end game with wal mart.

If a foreign country were to do to the US what wal mart does to local towns, (dumping, ie, lowering prices so much that others are driven out, because you can afford the "temp" dump) we would all be up in arms. Yet, we all get shoulder to shoulder with wal mart for dumping. Why?

Is it because wal mart is an "American" company? Thus the market should reign supreme? Do we dislike foreign companies doing the same thing because, a nod only because, they are somewhat subsidized by their own government? What is it?

Btw, there is a huge, and I mean huge issue of this import coming to my town: that is, whether or not to allow 150 acres for development of which would be a strip mall Target, Whole foods (I like), Lowes (just had home depot move in, which costco will be right next door in Aug.) and others. Many issues behind this bill, but, most do not want SLO to lose its downtown appeal. I at first signed up to vote against the new development (on farm land). However, when I recieved the vote pack in the mail, I reconsidered and have not been able to send it in.

Here is my thing:

I love this town (45K pop, cty, 220K, and we are cty seat) and don't want it to grow. I grew up here, but have lived in the NW for the past 10. We have a college that has a pop of 18K.

I would love the stores, esp whole foods. However, this would require a new access ramp for the FW, which after living in Salem, OR, is maybe not a bad thing, yet we have 10, in only a town this size.

One major issue is Wal Mart. So far the developer has promised that wal mart will not move in, yet, NO store has a K, thus, WM or any other store could move in. There is a WM 15 miles S of here, no problem going to it. Had to go to it because their prices on my necessities are by far much lower than anywhere else (even costco on some items).

But, I do not want a walmart in this town. Why? Well, even though this is farmland that the owner wants to sell (our land is now much more valuable than crops, save grapes for wine) the city still has a say over what goes onto his land, b/c we have a very, very conservative growth policy, which has kept this town what it is today.

So the question is: given a "free" market economy, should the citizens of this town vote for the marketplace? Should they vote for getting of farm land (200 acres) and put a mall in? This property sits by a freeway, border on one side by Bed Bath and Beyond Me (even though my wife loves it) and staples.

I have to vote in the coming week. Any advice or questions would be appreciated.

Thanks

SmarterThanYou said:
when you tell your supplier that you'll buy this much more than anyone else SO LONG AS you only make it this way, thats subverting the market.

You've obviously never owned a business. That is the way things are in business. That is how companies beat their competitors. That is called having something made to "specification".

SmarterThanYou said:
some people just refuse to see i guess.

Refuse to see what? You haven't presented anything that countered what I wrote. Where is this mysterious town of 10,000, with nobody for miles and miles and miles around, where Wal-Mart is going to spend millions of dollars building three huge Superstores for a market that can't even support ONE it is so small?

I smell horseshit!

Yurt, IKEA is a foreign corporation that has come in and is putting small furniture stores out of business all over the country. Yet nobody complains about them either. Wal-Mart is in Korea, Japan and many other countries, so Wal-Mart is also exporting their brand of retail. In Korea, a competitor has sprung up called "Kim's Club". It is obvious that others see the value in Wal-Mart's business plan, because many have tried and are trying to repeat it. What about Fry's? CompUSA, ComputerPlus, etc. The same things being said about Wal-Mart today were said about Sears in 1900.

freeandfun1 said:
You've obviously never owned a business. That is the way things are in business. That is how companies beat their competitors. That is called having something made to "specification".
maybe you didn't read all of that. Not only do they say 'make it this size only', but they require the supplier to do that for all of their other customers as well. Have you not read about the pickle jar deal with wal mart?
The walmart you don't know

freeandfun1 said:
Refuse to see what? You haven't presented anything that countered what I wrote. Where is this mysterious town of 10,000, with nobody for miles and miles and miles around, where Wal-Mart is going to spend millions of dollars building three huge Superstores for a market that can't even support ONE it is so small?
I did not say that it was a town in the middle of nowhere. It's somewhere in the middle of the DFW complex.

freeandfun1 said:
I smell horseshit!
clean your shoes.

SmarterThanYou said:
maybe you didn't read all of that. Not only do they say 'make it this size only', but they require the supplier to do that for all of their other customers as well. Have you not read about the pickle jar deal with wal mart?
Well, if the supplier wants the business, they will do it. They are not at allthe only company that does this kind of things. It happens in EVERY industry. I see it ALL the time. If one customers is going to buy a huge number of something, it is not uncommon for the customer to demand that their design become the standard. Not uncommon at all.

SmarterThanYou said:
I did not say that it was a town in the middle of nowhere. It's somewhere in the middle of the DFW complex.
You witheld a key point then in trying to make it look like something it isn't. DFW is huge and there is a huge population around the airport (I am assuming that is what you are talking about when you say "DFW complex"). I grew up there (I know, you live there) and as you know, many people commute to work from one part of town to another. I am willing to bet WM is building on major traffic thoroghfares. You weren't trying to mislead were you with the "town of 10,000" people? C'mon.....

SmarterThanYou said:
clean your shoes.

:laugh: okay! :laugh:

Forum List

Back