Mary of Magdala

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
She’s the only follower mentioned in all four Gospels. She is mentioned by name more than most of the apostles. Why did God want to drive home to us the message of her life?

She had seven demons possessing her. She lived a life of evil in constant anguish being avoided by everyone because all knew about her.

Then one day she heard a rumor about some healer performing miracles. She went to investigate.

Her demons were cast out and she was a new woman, freed from torment. She was there at His crucifixion and at his burial. The anguish she must have felt. This man who appeared to be the Messiah to her was tortured to death and is laying in a tomb. And it was an apostle she knew who turned him in.

But like the apostles, she did not understand what was supposed to happen next. She arrived at the tomb three days after his death to anoint the body with oil as was custom.

She arrived to find an empty tomb. Her first response was his body was stolen.

Then she learned the truth and everything that had happened all made sense.

She’s the only follower mentioned in all four Gospels. She is mentioned by name more than most of the apostles. Why did God want to drive home to us the message of her life?

She had seven demons possessing her. She lived a life of evil in constant anguish being avoided by everyone because all knew about her.

Then one day she heard a rumor about some healer performing miracles. She went to investigate.

Her demons were cast out and she was a new woman, freed from torment. She was there at His crucifixion and at his burial. The anguish she must have felt. This man who appeared to be the Messiah to her was tortured to death and is laying in a tomb. And it was an apostle she knew who turned him in.

But like the apostles, she did not understand what was supposed to happen next. She arrived at the tomb three days after his death to anoint the body with oil as was custom.

Because she was his wife, that's why. What you have here is sloppy editing work at the Council of Nicea with conflated Marys.

The lesson of which is clear --- always proofread.

Oh and the apostle didn't "turn him in". He went to negotiate a prisoner exchange. Romans get Jesus, Jesus Barabbas gets released. ("Barabbas" = bar Abbas, son of the Master or son of the father, or as we would say today, "Jesus Junior").

That's why Judas found the mission distasteful -- he knew it meant the end of the Jesus thing (which was taking over the country), and why Jesus orders him "go now and do what thou hast to do".

Because she was his wife, that's why. What you have here is sloppy editing work at the Council of Nicea with conflated Marys.

Oh and the apostle didn't "turn him in". He went to negotiate a prisoner exchange. Romans get Jesus, Jesus Barabbas gets released. ("Barabbas" = bar Abbas, son of the Master or son of the father, or as we would say today, "Jesus Junior").

That's why Judas found the mission distasteful -- he knew it meant the end of the Jesus thing (which was taking over the country), and why Jesus orders him "go now and do what thou hast to do".
I love theology from atheists.

Bring some in then.

I don't see anything here about "theology" though. All I see is history. Are we going on a tangent already?

Yeah, that's true but despite more than 100 fulfilled prophecies (There's nothing new in the New Testament is the war cry of a lot of people who read the bible cover to cover regularly) seeing the messianic prophecies being fulfilled was not enough to bring many to salvation. the church began to explode 50 days later.

(two people on my Ignore list posted before I finished my post, my bad

Christ never married.There is 0 proof that He did. Not Biblically, not historically.
And it was the Catholic Church that turned Mary into a ho, and an example of a fallen woman, then turned her into a saint. I put 0 stock in Catholic revisionism.
Mary was a wealthy woman from a small fishing village, and a financial supporter of Christ's ministries. There is nothing to indicate that she was a prostitute, or in anyway corrupt in her actions. That she was possessed with demons is nothing extraordinary. Jesus removed demons from many.
To this day we are told how to rid ourselves of demons and to make sure that the void that is left is immediately filled with Christ, otherwise the demon will move right back in with a few of his friends:

Matthew 12: 43-45 When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man, he walketh through dry places, seeking rest, and findeth none. Then he saith, I will return into my house from whence I came out; and when he is come, he findeth it empty, swept, and garnished. Then goeth he, and taketh with himself seven other spirits more wicked than himself, and they entering and dwell there: and the last state of that man is worse than the first. Even so shall it be also unto this wicked generation.

Last edited:

Christ never married.There is 0 proof that He did. Not Biblically, not historically.
And it was the Catholic Church that turned Mary into a ho, and an example of a fallen woman, then turned her into a saint. I put 0 stock in Catholic revisionism.
Mary was a wealthy woman from a small fishing village, and a financial supporter of Christ's ministries. There is nothing to indicate that she was a prostitute, or in anyway corrupt in her actions. That she was possessed with demons is nothing extraordinary. Jesus removed demons from many.
To this day we are told how to rid ourselves of demons and to make sure that the void that is left is immediately filled with Christ, otherwise the demon will move right back in with a few of his friends:

Matthew 12: 43-45 When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man, he walketh through dry places, seeking rest, and findeth none. Then he saith, I will return into my house from whence I came out; and when he is come, he findeth it empty, swept, and garnished. Then goeth he, and taketh with himself seven other spirits more wicked than himself, and they entering and dwell there: and the last state of that man is worse than the first. Even so shall it be also unto this wicked generation.
It makes the demons feel good posting that.

Yeah, that's true but despite more than 100 fulfilled prophecies (There's nothing new in the New Testament is the war cry of a lot of people who read the bible cover to cover regularly) seeing the messianic prophecies being fulfilled was not enough to bring many to salvation. the church began to explode 50 days later.

(two people on my Ignore list posted before I finished my post, my bad

That's interesting since there only WERE two posters here before yours, one being the OP himself so you would have had exactly zero to read until you clicked 'show ignored content'.

The dishonest always give themselves away..........

there were at least three Marys:

Jesus's Mom

The wealthy sister of the resurrected Lazarus who would not have freaked out over another ressurrection

and then Mary Magdalene. There may have been others.

Mary Magdalene was unaware that a prostitute had already anointed Jesus. The Catholic church has come up with all kinds of stuff that made preaching and passing the plate a lot easier to sell.

Ah but there is. A place called "Cana", the remnants of which account you'll find in John 2:1-11.

WHO is the groom at that wedding? Jesus himself, that's who. That's why he brings out the "good wine" later on --- he's running the party. It's his own. Read the text --- who's giving the orders to the servants? If this ain't Jesus' own wedding, what the hell is he doing giving orders?

It would have been unthinkable, or at the least bizarre, in that time and place, for a healthy young man to not be married and procreating as soon as possible. It would have made Jesus a freak and shunned by the general populace. So what we "have no evidence of" is that he was thusly shunned.

As I said ---- bad editing at Nicea. Already went there, already did that.

Revisionism? Sure the hell is. They couldn't have Jesus' wife hanging around if they were gonna sell celibacy now could they. Think about it. Enter Nicea and the Septuagint.

How many Marys at the cross? :eusa_think: Bad editing is bad editing. When it manifests the thing to do is not to just go "oh well that's what it says, it's a 'mystery'" --- that's a cop-out. The thing to do is to find out what it said before it was deliberately changed, and what that change was trying to hide.

AGAIN, I made no suggestion as to her wealth or sexual activities. I'm saying she's his wife. That's why she's always around, that's why he "kisses her often", that's why some of the guys get jealous. It's everyday life.

And again again, when all the news reports you have of a given figure are word-of-mouth accounts not written down for decades, and then edited three centuries later, what actually happened versus what "it is written" to have happened, are two very different things. See also Occam's Razor.

Are you familiar with the Council of Nicea? A congregation of the various early-Christian sects fueling on mythologies that came together under orders of Constantine, to come to a consensus on who Jesus was and was not. A conference where he was literally VOTED into divinity (with dissenting votes). Once that was established that this was what the church was going to plant its flag on, the bible had to be "fixed" to agree with the newly universalized policy. Allusions to his marriage and family had to be erased and obscured, whereupon the new version, with its flaws we can see through today, was copiously copied down and all previous versions destroyed with some contradictory parts discarded altogether.

Yep. Stephen King got not just a book and a movie deal out of that but an entire career. Fear sells.

Last edited:
It makes the demons feel good posting that.

With all due respect Weatherman, I am not sure why demons would feel good about learning how to remove them and keep them out.

At sunset, the people brought to Jesus all who had various kinds of sickness, and laying his hands on each one, he healed them.
Moreover, demons came out of many people, shouting, “You are the Son of God!” But he rebuked them and would not allow them to speak, because they knew he was the Messiah.

According to James, they are not feeling good.
You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder.
They shudder at Christ standing in front of them, or in your heart. Light and darkness cannot inhabit the same space. Turn on a light, and the darkness flees. Christ, same thing:
I am the light of the world.

I found an interesting commentary on Mary from the Smithsonian, that may clear up the invention of Mary, the prostitute.
Who Was Mary Magdalene? | History | Smithsonian

Last edited:

there were at least three Marys:

Jesus's Mom

The wealthy sister of the resurrected Lazarus who would not have freaked out over another ressurrection

and then Mary Magdalene. There may have been others.

Mary Magdalene was unaware that a prostitute had already anointed Jesus. The Catholic church has come up with all kinds of stuff that made preaching and passing the plate a lot easier to sell.

Agree. In fact the top 2 names for females during Christ's time was 1. Mary 2. Salome. When someone asked for Mary, they all stood up. But it was Mary Magdalene that they turned into a whore.

Ah but there is. A place called "Cana", the remnants of which account you'll find in John 2:1-11.

WHO is the groom at that wedding? Jesus himself, that's who. That's why he brings out the "good wine" later on --- he's running the party. It's his own. Read the text --- who's giving the orders to the servants? If this ain't Jesus' own wedding, what the hell is he doing giving orders?

It would have been unthinkable, or at the least bizarre, in that time and place, for a healthy young man to not be married and procreating as soon as possible. It would have made Jesus a freak and shunned by the general populace. So what we "have no evidence of" is that he was thusly shunned.

Revisionism? Sure the hell is. They couldn't have Jesus' wife hanging around if they were gonna sell celibacy now could they. Think about it. Enter Nicea and the Septuagint.

How many Marys at the cross? :eusa_think: Bad editing is bad editing. When it manifests the thing to do is not to just go "oh well that's what it says, it's a 'mystery'" --- that's a cop-out. The thing to do is to find out what it said before it was deliberately changed, and what that change was trying to hide.

AGAIN, I made no suggestion as to her wealth or sexual activities. I'm saying she's his wife. That's why she's always around, that's why he "kisses her often", that's why some of the guys get jealous. It's everyday life.

And again again, when all the news reports you have of a given figure are word-of-mouth accounts not written down for decades, and then edited three centuries later, what actually happened versus what "it is written" to have happened, are two very different things. See also Occam's Razor.

Are you familiar with the Council of Nicea? A congregation of the various early-Christian sects fueling on mythologies that came together under orders of Constantine, to come to a consensus on who Jesus was and was not. A conference where he was literally VOTED into divinity (with dissenting votes). Once that was established that this was what the church was going to plant its flag on, the bible had to be "fixed" to agree with the newly universalized policy. Allusions to his marriage and family had to be erased and obscured, whereupon the new version, with its flaws we can see through today, was copiously copied down and all previous versions destroyed with some contradictory parts discarded altogether.

Yep. Stephen King got not just a book and a movie deal out of that but an entire career. Fear sells.

Ah, but there is not. Jesus was invited to the wedding. Nowhere in the Bible is Mary referred to as Christ's wife. The wedding was prior to Christ casting out the demons of Mary Magdalene. Are you suggesting Christ married a demon possessed woman? Or that Christ didn't have the "foresight" < (could not foresee) running short on wine? Would Christ serve the cheap stuff as soon as His party was drunk?

Truth:
It was an embarrassment for a host to run out of wine. And the host was about to suffer that fate at this 3 day event. (The hosts usually served the best wine first, so when the party was drunk enough they wouldn't notice when the host broke out the inferior wine.")
Christ's mother had to prompt Christ to intervene for the sake of the host. He wasn't real happy about her doing so. It wasn't time for Him to expose who He was. He obliged her for host's sake:
"Oh Woman, what has this to do with me? My hour has not yet come."

It had nothing to do with Him because it wasn't His wedding. But when He did what He did, it convinced His disciples that He was the Messiah.
Jesus did this, the first of his signs, in Cana of Galilee, and revealed his glory; and his disciples believed in him.

Yeah, a lot of spiritualizing is going on even today.
A decent argument can be made that the bishop/elder was a bouncer in first century churches, which is probably why women were not eligible for the office even if they owned the church.

In all probability, Mary of Magdala was the wife of Jesus. In that time and in that culture, marriages were arranged. No concerned parents would have a child without making sure that that their child had a spouse.
People have tried to wipe the wife of Jesus off the map, but her memory remains. He told her things that he told no other. Her memories remain in the Gnostic Gospels. One thing is for sure. Mary Magdalene loved her husband and cared for him the best that she could.

Ah, but there is not. Jesus was invited to the wedding. Nowhere in the Bible is Mary referred to as Christ's wife. The wedding was prior to Christ casting out the demons of Mary Magdalene. Are you suggesting Christ married a demon possessed woman? Or that Christ didn't have the "foresight" < (could not foresee) running short on wine? Would Christ serve the cheap stuff as soon as His party was drunk?

Truth:
It was an embarrassment for a host to run out of wine. And the host was about to suffer that fate at this 3 day event. (The hosts usually served the best wine first, so when the party was drunk enough they wouldn't notice when the host broke out the inferior wine.")
Christ's mother had to prompt Christ to intervene for the sake of the host. He wasn't real happy about her doing so. It wasn't time for Him to expose who He was. He obliged her for host's sake:

It had nothing to do with Him because it wasn't His wedding. But when He did what He did, it convinced His disciples that He was the Messiah.
Jesus did this, the first of his signs, in Cana of Galilee, and revealed his glory; and his disciples believed in him.
Yes, but the movie by the atheist God hater prove it.

Truth:

Sure it did. You gonna believe your lyin' eyes or the holey babble. :lmao:

Self-delusion will take you to some strange places.

See again Occam's Razor.

In all probability, Mary of Magdala was the wife of Jesus. In that time and in that culture, marriages were arranged. No concerned parents would have a child without making sure that that their child had a spouse.
People have tried to wipe the wife of Jesus off the map, but her memory remains. He told her things that he told no other. Her memories remain in the Gnostic Gospels. One thing is for sure. Mary Magdalene loved her husband and cared for him the best that she could.

And there ain't nothing wrong with that. Yet the church tried to bury it.

Bring some in then.

I don't see anything here about "theology" though. All I see is history. Are we going on a tangent already?

Tell us that in Greek, you are reading into it the bullshit Da vinche code.

Forum List

Back