Martini Cocktails and all Cocktails

Lucy Hamilton

Diamond Member
Oct 30, 2015
As I randomly post comments about my adoration of Martini Cocktails in all sorts of threads, except threads in the Food and Drunk section, I thought I might start a thread.

So 90% of my below comments appeared earlier in a different thread and as I feel lazy at this moment, I've just copy and pasted the below to form the OP of this new thread.

I consider Tanqueray No. Ten the best Gin on the planet, I'm not a fan of Vodka in Cocktails, I'm strictly a Gin Cocktails girl.

tanqueray_no_ten_bottle_Carousel.jpg

I recommend as an introduction to Cocktails, the Martinez Cocktail.

This below is the original recipe that I hold to, it was first published in O. H. Byron's "The Modern Bartenders' Guide" from 1884 (I also love Harry Craddock's "The Savoy Cocktail Book" first published in 1930 and excellently illustrated throughout with Art Deco drawings)

The Martinez Cocktail:

50ml Tanqueray No. Ten, 30ml Sweet Vermouth, 10ml Dry Vermouth, 8ml Orange Curaçao Liqueur and 1 dash of Angostura Aromatic Bitters....shaken not stirred and garnished with an orange twist.

Cocktail-Recipe-Martinez-9.jpg

The later Martinez Cocktail recipe is:

50ml Tanqueray No. Ten, 20ml Sweet Vermouth, 10ml Dry Vermouth, 5ml Marachino Liqueur and 1 dash of Bokers Bitters....shaken not stirred and garnished with either a lemon twist or an orange twist.

This below picture is of Harry Craddock in action at The Savoy, for Cocktail Aficionados, Harry Craddock has a very special place in Heaven because he invented both the Dry Martini and The White Lady :smoke:

savoy8501k.jpg

keep-calm-and-drink-martinis-1.png

As I randomly post comments about my adoration of Martini Cocktails in all sorts of threads, except threads in the Food and Drunk section, I thought I might start a thread.

So 90% of my below comments appeared earlier in a different thread and as I feel lazy at this moment, I've just copy and pasted the below to form the OP of this new thread.

I consider Tanqueray No. Ten the best Gin on the planet, I'm not a fan of Vodka in Cocktails, I'm strictly a Gin Cocktails girl.

This below is the original recipe that I hold to, it was first published in O. H. Byron's "The Modern Bartenders' Guide" from 1884 (I also love Harry Craddock's "The Savoy Cocktail Book" first published in 1930 and excellently illustrated throughout with Art Deco drawings)

The Martinez Cocktail:

50ml Tanqueray No. Ten, 30ml Sweet Vermouth, 10ml Dry Vermouth, 8ml Orange Curaçao Liqueur and 1 dash of Angostura Aromatic Bitters....shaken not stirred and garnished with an orange twist.

50ml Tanqueray No. Ten, 20ml Sweet Vermouth, 10ml Dry Vermouth, 5ml Marachino Liqueur and 1 dash of Bokers Bitters....shaken not stirred and garnished with either a lemon twist or an orange twist.

This below picture is of Harry Craddock in action at The Savoy, for Cocktail Aficionados, Harry Craddock has a very special place in Heaven because he invented both the Dry Martini and The White Lady :smoke:

savoy8501k.jpg

From the tone of most of your posts, I kinda figure that Rachel Maddow would probably make your ears bleed, but hear me out..............

On her newscasts on Fridays, in the last segment (usually the last 5 min or so), she has a Cocktail Moment where she tells you about the new cocktail she heard about and she mixes it on her show and gives you the ingredients.

Now, you can watch her do that or not, I already told you how to avoid most of her show, but she does come up with some really cool cocktails.

Another place I HIGHLY recommend checking out is the Travel Channel, and the show is called Booze Traveler. This dude from Boston goes to different countries and tries all sorts of different alcohols, beers and cocktails, and you even get to find out how some of the spirits are made. Some of the stuff on his show looks really good, and if I can ever find some of it here, I'm gonna try about 5 different things I've seen on his show.

• Banned

The Martinez Cocktail:

savoy8501k.jpg

From the tone of most of your posts, I kinda figure that Rachel Maddow would probably make your ears bleed, but hear me out..............

On her newscasts on Fridays, in the last segment (usually the last 5 min or so), she has a Cocktail Moment where she tells you about the new cocktail she heard about and she mixes it on her show and gives you the ingredients.

Now, you can watch her do that or not, I already told you how to avoid most of her show, but she does come up with some really cool cocktails.

Another place I HIGHLY recommend checking out is the Travel Channel, and the show is called Booze Traveler. This dude from Boston goes to different countries and tries all sorts of different alcohols, beers and cocktails, and you even get to find out how some of the spirits are made. Some of the stuff on his show looks really good, and if I can ever find some of it here, I'm gonna try about 5 different things I've seen on his show.

Yes Rachel Maddow, I've seen clips of her and you're correct, however I wasn't aware she was a Cocktail Aficionado, so I will be checking out her Cocktail Moment thing.

"Another place I HIGHLY recommend checking out is the Travel Channel, and the show is called Booze Traveler. This dude from Boston goes to different countries and tries all sorts of different alcohols, beers and cocktails, and you even get to find out how some of the spirits are made. Some of the stuff on his show looks really good, and if I can ever find some of it here, I'm gonna try about 5 different things I've seen on his show."

Thanks, I'll see if there are any YouTube segments of this.

A very nice Cocktail I had was in Buenos Aires, Argentina called a Ketango:

45ml Principe de los Apostoles Mate Gin, 30ml Apricot Brandy, 30ml Lime Juice, shaken not stirred.

This was an unusual happening for me as it's a Gin Cocktail that I adored, where I had to be unfaithful to my Tanqueray No. Ten.

Principe de los Apostoles Mate Gin is made in Mendoza, Argentina, although the majority of the botanicals used in it come from Misiones, Argentina. It's a nice blend of amongst other things eucalyptus, peppermint, pink grapefruit skin and yerba mate which is a species of the Holly family.

9663898cc065b459fa316d500fd79032.jpg

They also have tea made from yerba mate which is very popular in Argentina and also in Chile, Uruguay and Paraguay.

There is of course a Cocktail called The Argentine, which is another of my favourites:

30ml Tanqueray No. Ten, 30ml Extra Dry Vermouth, 7.5ml Cointreau, 7.5ml Benedictine DOM (the DOM stands for "Deo Optimo Maximo" ("To God, most good, most great"), 1 Dash of Angostura Orange Bitters, 1 Dash of Angostura Aromatic Bitters, shaken not stirred and garnished with an orange twist.

Here is The Argentine:

201632dc72e42fa2152edea8ddcd0552910f.jpg

• Banned

The Martinez Cocktail:

savoy8501k.jpg

This is a Shamrock Martini Cocktail....it's very pretty also.

shamrock-cocktail-2.jpg

This is the mix from Patrick Gavin Duffy's "The Official Mixer's Manual" first published by Long & Smith in 1934.

42ml Irish Whisky, 42ml Dry Vermouth, 7.1ml Green Chartreuse, 7.1ml Crème de Menthe, shaken not stirred and garnished with two green olives.

28022.jpg

Here is Patrick Gavin Duffy.

vsc_patrick_gavin_duffy_blog_2014.jpg

The Martinez Cocktail:

savoy8501k.jpg

Tito's, a splash of Dry Vermouth swirled and dumped. just a little dirty. yum.

• Banned

The Martinez Cocktail:

savoy8501k.jpg

What is swirled and dumped?

The Martinez Cocktail:

savoy8501k.jpg

What is swirled and dumped?
Swish the Vermouth around the glass, and spill it out. Pour in the Martini.

Forum List

Back