Martin Luther King Jr’s Daughter: ‘Many Who Quote Him Now Would Have Hated Him Then’

Whites are not being stereotyped. Whites have exhibited a continuing pattern of behavior. Now in your opinion we must ignnre that pattern because YOU may not exhibit that behavior.

Do detect patterns of behavior wherever you can find them, and then ascribe them to the group that actually exhibits it. If that group isn't co-extensive with "Whites", the ascription is false, and it is just as false as is ascribing patterns of behavior to Blacks that not all Blacks exhibit.

Whites are not being stereotyped. Whites have exhibited a continuing pattern of behavior. Now in your opinion we must ignnre that pattern because YOU may not exhibit that behavior.

Do detect patterns of behavior wherever you can find them, and then ascribe them to the group that actually exhibits it. If that group isn't co-extensive with "Whites", the ascription is false, and it is just as false as is ascribing patterns of behavior to Blacks that not all Blacks exhibit.

That's all well and good but we are talking about law and policy. King spoke about unjust laws. And he indicted all whites who said they could do nothing and just allow the unjust laws to exist.

MLK-quote4.jpg

That's all well and good but we are talking about law and policy. King spoke about unjust laws. And he indicted all whites who said they could do nothing and just allow the unjust laws to exist.

MLK-quote4.jpg

Yes. You see, the indictment contains all kinds of qualifiers so as to target exactly the group exhibiting a certain contemptible behavior, not everyone by dint of a certain skin color.

This thread is dedicated to all whites here at USMB who try telling us blacks about King.

This is MARTIN LUTHER KINGS DAUGHTER TALKING.

Martin Luther King Jr’s Daughter: ‘Many Who Quote Him Now Would Have Hated Him Then’

Stephen Silver

Monday is Martin Luther King Day, and in the social media era, it’s been a common occurance for individuals, political movements, and brands to quote Dr. King — or use his legacy in ways that the legendary civil rights leader may not have approved.

Someone else has noticed this tendency: Dr. King’s youngest daughter, Bernice King.

“Many who quote him now would have hated him then,” Bernice wrote on her Twitter account Sunday night. “He was assassinated for trying to eradicate the evils some claim he’d support today. But he was a Christ-centered, love-fueled, justice-seeking, peacemaking, globally-minded, nonviolent revolutionary & prophet.”

Some conservatives have seized on the “I Have a Dream” speech line, “I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character,” as an argument against affirmative action and for “color blind” policies. Others have argued, per Human Events, that King was actually a conservative or a Republican. This is false, according to PolitiFact.

Some conservatives have seized on the “I Have a Dream” speech line, “I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character,”

We share his dream.

#METOO COMES FOR MARTIN LUTHER KING:

Assuming this is true in more or less the way you have described it, my hope is that something good might come from it. It will be incredibly – and rightly – hard for the US to back away from the celebration of Dr. King, to cancel or rename the Martin Luther King holiday, to rename the Martin Luther King avenues, to demolish the Martin Luther King monument in the Mall, and so on. And perhaps – just perhaps – this might lead to some on the Left rethinking their opposition to other iconic figures of the past. Perhaps people will feel more able to say:

Yes, Martin Luther King was (it now appears) a sexual predator. But he was ALSO a transformational leader whose work led the country to a more just place.

and likewise:

Yes, George Washington was a slave owner. But he was ALSO the leader who brought together the country in its infancy in a way that no one else at the time could.

and likewise…

This thread is dedicated to all whites here at USMB who try telling us blacks about King.

Stephen Silver

Monday is Martin Luther King Day, and in the social media era, it’s been a common occurance for individuals, political movements, and brands to quote Dr. King — or use his legacy in ways that the legendary civil rights leader may not have approved.

Someone else has noticed this tendency: Dr. King’s youngest daughter, Bernice King.

“Many who quote him now would have hated him then,” Bernice wrote on her Twitter account Sunday night. “He was assassinated for trying to eradicate the evils some claim he’d support today. But he was a Christ-centered, love-fueled, justice-seeking, peacemaking, globally-minded, nonviolent revolutionary & prophet.”

Some conservatives have seized on the “I Have a Dream” speech line, “I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character,” as an argument against affirmative action and for “color blind” policies. Others have argued, per Human Events, that King was actually a conservative or a Republican. This is false, according to PolitiFact.

Some conservatives have seized on the “I Have a Dream” speech line, “I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character,”

We share his dream.

Assuming this is true in more or less the way you have described it, my hope is that something good might come from it. It will be incredibly – and rightly – hard for the US to back away from the celebration of Dr. King, to cancel or rename the Martin Luther King holiday, to rename the Martin Luther King avenues, to demolish the Martin Luther King monument in the Mall, and so on. And perhaps – just perhaps – this might lead to some on the Left rethinking their opposition to other iconic figures of the past. Perhaps people will feel more able to say:

Yes, Martin Luther King was (it now appears) a sexual predator. But he was ALSO a transformational leader whose work led the country to a more just place.

and likewise:

Yes, George Washington was a slave owner. But he was ALSO the leader who brought together the country in its infancy in a way that no one else at the time could.

and likewise…

King did commit adultery, but according to those around him, he was not a sexual predator.

Stephen Silver

We share his dream.

and likewise:

and likewise…
Who told you MLK was a sexual predator and why did you choose to believe it instead of researching the facts?

Stephen Silver

We share his dream.

and likewise:

and likewise…

King did commit adultery, but according to those around him, he was not a sexual predator.

You mean his supporters?

Stephen Silver

We share his dream.

and likewise:

and likewise…

You mean his supporters?

I mean the people who were around him all the time. You see, if what you racists say was true, there would at least have been one very rich woman out there who would have made that money off the book she wrote.

Last edited:

Stephen Silver

We share his dream.

and likewise:

and likewise…

I mean the people who were around him all the time. You see, if what you racists say was true, there would at least have been one very rich woman out there who would have made that money off the book she wrote.

You mean his supporters?

Speechless?

Stephen Silver

We share his dream.

and likewise:

and likewise…

You mean his supporters?

Speechless?

Try again .

We share his dream.

and likewise:

and likewise…

You mean his supporters?

Speechless?

Try again .

I guess you did.....

Oh...your link leads right back to your hyperbole.

Stephen Silver

So? The point is the utter failure of the LEFT to live what it preaches.

And I agree. He can shove his "revolution" up his dead ass. Along with his "globally mindedness".

Forum List

Back