martial law could be declared

nycflasher

Apr 15, 2004
CT
BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- Iraq's interim interior minister says martial law could be declared in the country if there are continued attacks like the car bombing that killed 35 people Thursday in Baghdad.

"If we need to do it, yes, we'll do it. We won't hesitate," said Falah al-Nakib, in response to a question about a possible declaration of martial law.

"This is the security of our country. This is the security and life of our people," al-Nakib said.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/06/18/iraq.main/index.html

Originally posted by nycflasher
BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- Iraq's interim interior minister says martial law could be declared in the country if there are continued attacks like the car bombing that killed 35 people Thursday in Baghdad.

"If we need to do it, yes, we'll do it. We won't hesitate," said Falah al-Nakib, in response to a question about a possible declaration of martial law.

"This is the security of our country. This is the security and life of our people," al-Nakib said.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/06/18/iraq.main/index.html

Is there a point? :D

This should happen right now, iraq is still a war zone littered with suicidal maniacs. martial law could at least provide the peacable civilians with a measure of safety until things sort themselves out.

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
This should happen right now, iraq is still a war zone littered with suicidal maniacs. martial law could at least provide the peacable civilians with a measure of safety until things sort themselves out.

I agree with that. Fear is to put anymore pressure on the Iraqis, but we should, through the military, make clear that we care about their safety.

I'm pretty sure Saddam declared martial law at some point - problem is he never ended it. Let's hope that's not what happens again this time.

acludem

how so?

Well, these suicide-bombers are relentless. I suppose martial law might make it easier to combat them, however.

Martial law is exactly what they want. Soon the government will have to crack down on all opposition, turning the people against it. Then the terrorist orgs gain support amongst the people. They overthrow the government and install their own. This is Terrorism 101.

acludem

Originally posted by acludem
Martial law is exactly what they want. Soon the government will have to crack down on all opposition, turning the people against it. Then the terrorist orgs gain support amongst the people. They overthrow the government and install their own. This is Terrorism 101.

acludem

interesting point

Originally posted by acludem

acludem

:wtf: tell me how martial law is going to turn the people against the interim government. the civilians falling victim to these bombers will appreciate this.

:wtf: tell me how martial law is going to turn the people against the interim government. the civilians falling victim to these bombers will appreciate this.

better point?
:D

Duane - People are afraid of the term 'Martial Law'...credit poland in the 80s?

People fear it because they don't understand it.

I know what you mean. I don't get it either.

Forum List

Back