Martha Stewart

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
How sad that Martha Stewart is paying a high price for acting on insider trading information while Hillary Clinton did the same thing with her cattle futures trading and did not get so much as a slap on the hand. For an inside account of Hillary's trading--and a whole lot more--read Dick Morris' book "Reinventing History." This book should be required reading for every registered voter because of Hillary's aspirations to become our first female President.

I don't care for Martha personally but I do feel like she was made an example of just because she was a woman ! Of course Hitlery lives by a different set of rules and laws .. (Her husband is treated by the same standards as Hitlery)

I hope we don't have enough fools in this country to vote her into the White House in 08 but Mrs. Hitlery is awfully confident ! That will truly be the demise of our country...

Oh and furthermore, did anyone catch the Dan Rather/Hitlery Clinton interview ? That bitch had the nerve to call Bush a liar when she has a husband who was IMPEACHED cause of PERJURY ! Meanwhile Rather was just licking her ass and hanging on every word ! :wtf:

Sorry, I had to vent !!!!! :cof:

I think Martha Stewart got what she deserved. Anybody doing something illegal like that should be punished, though I don't think she was that heavily punished. What's 5 months of jail time and 5 months house arrest? I personally believe that they went light on her because of her "celebrity" status.

Steve madden got about 3 years for the same thing, why not Martha.

I just hate it when people pull out the "vagina card". I was reading an article that interviewed about 20 different women about their opinions on Martha and the majority believed that she got what she deserved, but there were a few who felt that because Martha is a powerful woman that they went after her. I don't think so. I think they went after her because she was guilty. Look at Oprah, she's powerful (more so than Martha) and a woman, and no one is going after her because she isn't doing anything illegal.

brneyedgrl80 said:
I think Martha Stewart got what she deserved. Anybody doing something illegal like that should be punished, though I don't think she was that heavily punished. What's 5 months of jail time and 5 months house arrest? I personally believe that they went light on her because of her "celebrity" status.

Steve madden got about 3 years for the same thing, why not Martha.

I just hate it when people pull out the "vagina card". I was reading an article that interviewed about 20 different women about their opinions on Martha and the majority believed that she got what she deserved, but there were a few who felt that because Martha is a powerful woman that they went after her. I don't think so. I think they went after her because she was guilty. Look at Oprah, she's powerful (more so than Martha) and a woman, and no one is going after her because she isn't doing anything illegal.

So you were pissed at Clinton not being punished like 'non-celebs' for obstruction of justice?

Kathianne said:
So you were pissed at Clinton not being punished like 'non-celebs' for obstruction of justice?

Funny you should bring htat up. I heard an argument made on the Tony snow show that Clinton was punished, he was Impeached.

I thought to myself, "Wow, some punishment!" What a joke!

Here's the deal on Stewart. She wronged, got caught, was convicted and is being punished. That's the way the system is supposed to work - for all!

Here is where it gets weird or ugly - what is going to happen to Ken Lay from Enron? This guy screws CA and laughs, defrauds millions of investors, employees, retirees etc. I will almost guarantee you he never sees the inside of a jail cell.

There is a vast chasm in these three wrongs and resultant punishments. This is what is part of the problem in America today - but you hear very little outcry - I mean the guy that got 60 days for rape?

Hmmm.

HGROKIT said:
Funny you should bring htat up. I heard an argument made on the Tony snow show that Clinton was punished, he was Impeached.

Here's the deal on Stewart. She wronged, got caught, was convicted and is being punished. That's the way the system is supposed to work - for all!

Here is where it gets weird or ugly - what is going to happen to Ken Lay from Enron? This guy screws CA and laughs, defrauds millions of investors, employees, retirees etc. I will almost guarantee you he never sees the inside of a jail cell.

There is a vast chasm in these three wrongs and resultant punishments. This is what is part of the problem in America today - but you hear very little outcry - I mean the guy that got 60 days for rape?

Hmmm.

:hail: I agree completely.

Like I said above. Steve Madden gets 3 years, Martha only 10 months?

HGROKIT said:

Hmmm.

I hear ya! I think the Lay trial will get wide coverage, thus we'll see what went down. Same for Martha and Bubba. (Funny, the censure didn't cover punishment for me, much less the 'impeachment charges). I have no problem with Martha in jail, or Lay getting even more time, if deserving.

My own problem with that 60 day rape sentence, I don't know enough about the whole thing, perhaps those living by there do...but the links we have are not enough, for me to judge anything by. On the face of it though, I agree, it was a travesty.

HGROKIT said:
Here's the problem with the "deal". Stewart was not convicted of the wrong underlying her conviction for conspiracy. The government didn't even have to prove that she actually broke the law in terms of her stock trade. No one knows whether she did or didn't.

She was convicted of lying to the feds and conspiracy to cover up something...the something isn't assumed to have been illegal.

The feds has absolutly no proof that she did anything illegal in her stock trade or else she would never have escaped indictment for that. But, they never charged her!

Personally, I do believe they went after he because she was famous...convicting a famous person of conspiracy is certainly a hell of a lot more worth it than going after the white collar criminals who actually do commit offenses they can prove. The feds gambled and won.

Moi said:
Here's the problem with the "deal". Stewart was not convicted of the wrong underlying her conviction for conspiracy. The government didn't even have to prove that she actually broke the law in terms of her stock trade. No one knows whether she did or didn't.

She was convicted of lying to the feds and conspiracy to cover up something...the something isn't assumed to have been illegal.

The feds has absolutly no proof that she did anything illegal in her stock trade or else she would never have escaped indictment for that. But, they never charged her!

Personally, I do believe they went after he because she was famous...convicting a famous person of conspiracy is certainly a hell of a lot more worth it than going after the white collar criminals who actually do commit offenses they can prove. The feds gambled and won.

Right on ! :clap:

My point was that Martha Stewart broke the law and paid for it, as should have been the case. I have no sympathy for Martha. She is probably an East Coast liberal like all the rest. Hillary broke the same law that Martha did and paid nothing at all; Hillary's activity got only a snippet of news coverage. Hillary's record has been documented by so many writers--they all tell the same researched story--yet she writes a book and gives her sanitized version of things, and people believe her. Today she is looked up to as the star of the Democrat Party and the epitome of what a bright, successful woman should be! As John Stossel would say, "GIVE ME A BREAK!"

Adam's Apple said:
My point was that Martha Stewart broke the law and paid for it, as should have been the case. I have no sympathy for Martha. She is probably an East Coast liberal like all the rest. Hillary broke the same law that Martha did and paid nothing at all; Hillary's activity got only a snippet of news coverage. Hillary's record has been documented by so many writers--they all tell the same researched story--yet she writes a book and gives her sanitized version of things, and people believe her. Today she is looked up to as the star of the Democrat Party and the epitome of what a bright, successful woman should be! As John Stossel would say, "GIVE ME A BREAK!"
Althoug I certainly agree that Hillary has violated the law on many occassions, I am not sure that Martha did. I've known her for many years...I'm not aware that she's a liberal.

Once again, she was not convicted of the underlying "offense"; that of actually selling the stock based on a tip. Asking your secretary to change a message on a message pad and then CLEARLY changing it back before you even hit the save button should not get someone 10 months confinement, a lost job and millions of dollars lost.

Moi said:
Althoug I certainly agree that Hillary has violated the law on many occassions, I am not sure that Martha did. I've known her for many years...I'm not aware that she's a liberal.

Once again, she was not convicted of the underlying "offense"; that of actually selling the stock based on a tip. Asking your secretary to change a message on a message pad and then CLEARLY changing it back before you even hit the save button should not get someone 10 months confinement, a lost job and millions of dollars lost.

Moi, I tend to agree with you. Her problem to some degree seemed to be arrogance, perhaps due to her lawyers from what I've read.

New Topics

Forum List

Back