Martha Stewart Convicted of All Counts

Originally posted by jimnyc
For the same reason you'll be prosecuted if you lie to police when you get pulled over. Or if you call the police and falsify information to get someone in trouble. If they find out that you lied you'll be charged with a crime and prosecuted. I'm sure the penalty is stiffer when these lies are being told to federal investigators.
If you can name even one person who's ever been convicted of the same offense by merely telling the cop "I don't know why you pulled me over" or "I have no drugs on me" or "I didn't kill the guy, officer" I will repeal my protest.

Originally posted by Moi
If you can name even one person who's ever been convicted of the same offense by merely telling the cop "I don't know why you pulled me over" or "I have no drugs on me" or "I didn't kill the guy, officer" I will repeal my protest.

I meant lying in general. If you have forgotten your ID and give them false information about who you are. Or if you are being questioned about a crime and you lie about what you know. Or like I stated earlier, if you call them to file a report and you provide them with false information.

Here's an example, even though it's a bit dated.

A man who claimed to have seen the Washington serial sniper before his latest shooting has been charged with giving false information to police.

Matthew Dowdy was arrested on allegations that he lied about seeing the gunman holding an AK-47 to his shoulder 30 yards from where FBI cyber terrorism analyst Linda Franklin was killed on Monday night.

Police initially treated him as a key witness in the hunt for the attacker who has murdered nine people and wounded two since October 2.

His description of a cream-coloured van with a broken rear light used by the sniper was released to the public, and a massive police dragnet attempted to stop the mystery vehicle escaping the area.

But following further interviews, officials ruled that the witness was "not credible".

Fairfax County Police Officer Sophia Grinnan said Dowdy, 37, of Falls Church, Virginia, has been charged with one count of knowingly and wilfully making a false statement to an officer who was in the course of investigating a crime by another.

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_692973.html

If Martha would've simply told the truth to the cops the first time, she'd have never been tried for this stuff. What she was accused of was relatively minor in the grand scheme of things. If she had simply said, "I screwed up, I'm sorry" in that first questioning session she'd have been given a slap on the wrist and sent her merry way. Instead she chose to lie and now she's paying the price.

acludem

The Martha Stewart case from the very beginning was ?Travesty of Justice? in a pure form with ?small minds behind the big machine? the driving force. For the sake of case let us assume Martha Stewart made some bad judgment calls and let us put things into perspective. Martha Stewart life was the American dream to the extreme that turned into the American nightmare for the world to see. At one point a self-made billionaire turned into a multi-millionaire when federal government charges were brought against her. Martha making a fortune the old-fashion way by creating a lot of good things that are positive and improving the lives of many Americans. These improvements were not just skin deep they were also influencing the way people think making Martha Stewart one of the most revered and loathed people in America.

The government in this case represented by the New York Federal Prosecutor Office who spends most of their time and energy looking at the dark side of people lives. General speaking there are two types of people the prosecutor office investigates good people who may have done something wrong and bad people who have a life long track record of doing bad things. Here is where the small mind behind the big machine comes in. The small mind refers to any one person who is a part of a larger bureaucratic system and is only a pawn in the system. The title in the bureaucratic system creates a sense of absolute power within one part of the system. The Martha Stewart?s case was a Federal Prosecutor?s dream career case of a lifetime. Only with the support of our federal government in Washington DC could the New York Federal Prosecutor Office move forward in the manor which they did on such a high profile case.

Let us now try to put things into perspective: This case stems from a $45,000 gain or loss on a stock trade of Imclone by Martha Stewart who at the time was a billionaire. News that the federal government was going reject the license on a promising new cancer drug which today has its license. Sam the founder of Imclone is now jail on insider trading charges not related to Martha case. An action of some ?small minds behind the big machine? decisions in Washington DC started the ball rolling. One has to wonder if Sam and Martha are Democrats with the force and manor that our federal system came down on them at the time it did. Martha Stewart and her stockholders lost 100?s of millions of dollars in the process. If the prosecutors in America went into the lives of Americans with a fine-tooth comb similar to Martha how many Americans would be criminals in the eyes of the law. How many of our politicians or entrench bureaucratics have made bad decisions in behalf of ones own self gain or lied to the system and the American people. There are thousand of unfamiliar cases similar to Martha Stewart involving people with a lot less money where the government ruins their lives. All it takes is one over zealous person in a government position of power to say I want your butt. Sometimes it is for political reasons, financial profit, and or personal reasons that will be the driving force behind the government?s case.

Were there any large sums of money made on Martha Stewart?s company and or Imclone by people going short on the stock before the government announcements? Was it a rouse to deflect the American people?s attention from real corporate crime that is plaguing America. If you are an insider such as Ole North you can get away with much worst (his involvement with Iran-Contra Guns for Drugs) than what Martha Stewart was ever accused of and get your own TV show afterwards. Some of the media created super stars are self-destructive with other super stars being destroyed by our government and mass media as part of the game. Millions of Americans live under the fear if the government ever focus on their lives the way they have done to Martha it would be all over with the lawyers and government getting everything.

In the schema of things the Martha Stewart?s case is relatively small and incidental except for those people with a direct connection. On the other hand it is a good example of the excesses of our system and the abuses that can take place. A lack of balance in purpose and reasoning is plaguing our government on many levels.

If you are an insider such as Ole North you can get away with much worst (his involvement with Iran-Contra Guns for Drugs) than what Martha Stewart was ever accused of and get your own TV show afterwards

You have a very warped view of who is an American Hero !

You place Martha on a pedestal, though she committed a crime, yet you knock down North, who obviously was the fall guy in Iran-Contra, who put his life at risk in how many wars, assuring your freedoms and way of life. Sorry I just don't share your thoughts !

I love to remind people of this: because of Iran-Contra ALL the hostages being held in the Middle East were released. If Demos and libs had their way they would still be rotting in a cave in the Bekaa Valley but thanks to freedom loving Americans such as Ronald Reagan, George Bush Sr. and Ollie North they are in America today. Short & sweet.

Martha is getting screwed because simply she tried to cover up instead of fessing up in the beginning. I don't believe she will actually do time but will probably get probation and one hell of a hefty fine.

"I will make it very simple. I am the CEO of a corporation, I am privy to information that is not available to the public. I can not use that information to profit, or give that information to anyone else so they can profit, plain and simple !"

The securities laws do not apply exclusively to CEOs.

To be quite honest, I don't think Steward will spend one hour in prison as opposed to months or years. People with money never get the real punishment they deserve. Our justice system is really screwed up in that way. Don't you agree? People that are millionaires or billionaires never go to prison. They do whatever they want and they don't pay the consequences. Is this the equality that America is supposed to hold true to "all the time?"

So, Martha was convicted of:

- Conspiracy
- Lying to the government
- Obstruction of justice

Seems to me she just followed the example of our Escaped Former President.

Originally posted by wonderwench
So, Martha was convicted of:

- Conspiracy
- Lying to the government
- Obstruction of justice

Seems to me she just followed the example of our Escaped Former President.

Bill Clinton was a good president. He just screwed up. Nobody's perfect.

Originally posted by David2004
The Martha Stewart case from the very beginning was ?Travesty of Justice? in a pure form with ?small minds behind the big machine? the driving force etc....etc....etc...

Originally posted by jimnyc
Really, has this guy ever replied after his initial posts? If you do a search on some of his writings you'll find that he posts the same crap at other boards, and doesn't reply there either.

Yup I found the exact post on another board. Sad.

Forum List

Back