Mars & DNA

TNHarley

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2012
Got a question for you guys : So, they say astronauts DNA changed while in space.
Do you think being on Mars for a while could do that?
I was just reading about bases on mars and that popped in my head. Im trying not to get too sci-fi'ish but i wonder if it does, and we had a settlement, if the human body would start to evolve after a generation or 2?

Possible, but living on Mars would produce changes by itself, apart from DNA.

Would take a number of generations, I think.

Got a question for you guys : So, they say astronauts DNA changed while in space.
I was just reading about bases on mars and that popped in my head. Im trying not to get too sci-fi'ish but i wonder if it does, and we had a settlement, if the human body would start to evolve after a generation or 2?
While not directly associated with the question you ask, there are a number of books, movies, and studies that give thought to how Mankind (meaning the evolution of men in other environments) would happen.

I would recommend a movie called, "The Space Between Us" which deal with Martian colonization at the beginning and dealing with a person (the first) to be born on Mars. It tackles some interesting differences between the protagonist and his fascination with Earth and a certain Earth girl.

The other would be a TV Series called, "The Expanse". While it does not directly deal with evolution, there are essentially three factions. Earth, Mars, and "The Belters" which are humans that are born, live and work in the outer solar region. Specifically, the Martian Marine Sgt who is called to Earth as part of an investigation into an 'incident' that happened on Ganymede (A moon of Jupiter). That deals primarily with gravity, proximity to the Sun, and Oceans. :beer:

There are various SciFi novels and other works too.

Interesting.

I will bet the trip to Mars will have a greater affect on DNA than Mars itself, but scientist, I am not.
:lol:

Interesting.

I will bet the trip to Mars will have a greater affect on DNA than Mars itself, but scientist, I am not.
Maybe it would!
My thinking was, if being in space would change dna almost 10 percent, what would being on an alien planet do?
But there could easily be variables there i am not aware of.

Well, yes and no.
Does your DNA really change in space?

Hid DNA did not 'change' just the way his DNA was being expressed. Essentially, his body simply made some adjustments to its surroundings that already existed but were not adaptations that the body needs to generally use on the surface of the planet. This is no different than what your body would do should you find yourself without food or water. Adaptations would kick in to help survivability.

Interesting.

Maybe it would!
My thinking was, if being in space would change dna almost 10 percent, what would being on an alien planet do?
But there could easily be variables there i am not aware of.
In space there is a great deal more radio active particles than would be found on a planet with a bit of an atmosphere. They would be more likely to cause damage to dna in space do to more floating around. Also in space you are exposed to zero gravity this would alter your body functions. This alteration would continue on mars but at a slower pace. The body would deffinately have to change living on mars to do it long term.

Forum List

Back